Suspension feel in cooler weather

Oct. 2, 2016, 12:32 p.m.

So I noticed my otherwise dialed suspension feels less dialed as it gets to 10C around here. After the Fromme climb the other day it felt "off" on the descent. Just not as good as usual.

Anyone else notice this change in cooler temps?

Oct. 2, 2016, 1:14 p.m.

I mostly notice that my rebound slows down as oil viscosity increases with cold temperatures. I usually open it up a click or 2 when it's cold. I'd imagine compression damping would work similarly, but it's harder to perceive.

Oct. 2, 2016, 4:39 p.m.

Thought about this today while doing a 3 hour ride in the local trails.

I think there is an element of mechanical change with the bike for sure, but a very small one. Where I think the difference comes from is my body simply not being super warmed up, limber and on-point. Muscles don't stay warm unless moving, air's colder to breathe, my body feels more tense so my biking feels more tense. When it's hot and sunny, everything feels smooth and fast - days like today - the hits feel more abrupt, the descents more rigid, etc.

Just my take on it.

"I'm addicted to surfing."

Oct. 2, 2016, 9:39 p.m.

I've never discussed this before……. but I have always found my rides more dialed in cooler weather. June to Sept when it's say 17-30 degrees, I rarely feel like my supension performs all that well.

Oct. 2, 2016, 10:27 p.m.

same here. i feel much better riding at these temps as i don't overheat as fast and seem to have a heightened enjoyment of the trails. body seems to perform at it's best. fall, glorious fall. until it dumps like hell and really get cold. then i turn into a grumpy old man.

Oct. 3, 2016, 6:58 a.m.

My steel hard tail feels 64% less real in the cold.

Wrong. Always.

Oct. 3, 2016, 11:02 a.m.

Your fork needs a pre winter service. This installs winter air, special proprietary springs for winter, special Enduro winter fork seals, and specially formulated fork oil for the extreme winter Temps of winter riding.

If you do not do this you run the risk of voiding the fork manufacturer warranty. And run the serious risk of a serious 45% loss of fun.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Oct. 3, 2016, 6:34 p.m.

I mostly notice that my rebound slows down as oil viscosity increases with cold temperatures. I usually open it up a click or 2 when it's cold. I'd imagine compression damping would work similarly, but it's harder to perceive.

Rebound wasn't bad but suspension felt stiffer and less compliant. May try this. Thanks.

Oct. 3, 2016, 6:35 p.m.

Thought about this today while doing a 3 hour ride in the local trails.

I think there is an element of mechanical change with the bike for sure, but a very small one. Where I think the difference comes from is my body simply not being super warmed up, limber and on-point. Muscles don't stay warm unless moving, air's colder to breathe, my body feels more tense so my biking feels more tense. When it's hot and sunny, everything feels smooth and fast - days like today - the hits feel more abrupt, the descents more rigid, etc.

Just my take on it.

Fair point and certainly relevant when it's colder at the top.

Oct. 3, 2016, 6:36 p.m.

My steel hard tail feels 64% less real in the cold.

The one you ride or the one in your hand? :0

Oct. 3, 2016, 6:38 p.m.

Probably close to service time, but my old mutt of a fork needs something a little less complicated….

Oct. 4, 2016, 1:20 a.m.

You definitely are right! The tight tolerances that our suspension, bushings, bearings, fluids all react to the weather. I've had bikes kinda trick me after a long summer of punishment. Thinking they didn't really need a service, until the weather got super hot and every pivot was clunking around.

superheros
I like bikes

Oct. 4, 2016, 7:41 a.m.

Rebound wasn't bad but suspension felt stiffer and less compliant. May try this. Thanks.

More viscous oil would slow compression too. And cold air would also lower your air pressure but I think that would only be a tiny percentage. Pv=nrt anyone?

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40