Super T 2002 Problem

July 14, 2003, 11:42 p.m.

I am looking for some help.
Tonight I was doing a typical "after-work shuttle"
Corkscrew-Pingu-Pangor-Slash-Home.
However I didn't quite make it to Pangor; my front shock felt a
little strange at the top of Pangor so I stopped to check it out.
There was no rebound dampening, and as I lifted the front end,
the stanchions extended beyond the normal top out. Well that ended my ride.
I got home removed the top cap and assembly( spring/preload/washer…) and I was able to pull both the rods
completely out of the stanchions. They had Both become
unthreaded. I screwed them back in once I was able to seat them properly(turned them clock wise) I reassembled everything.
And the shocks work fine now.
My concern is WHY did this occur? And did I rectify the problem.
Is there more I should be doing?i.e. something other than simply rotating the rods to screw them back in, and reassemble.
I will most definitely check with the LBS that did the very recent
overhaul, but I just kinda want know what the hell is up with that!!!!!!!!
Thanks for any help you can give.

July 15, 2003, 12:11 a.m.

Errrr….

What fork?

http://www.cyberetrothreads.com

ya fuck you windows. fuck you too door.

July 15, 2003, 12:13 a.m.

2002 Super T (name of the thread?)…

July 15, 2003, 12:13 a.m.

Read the title keefer:rolleyes:

02 Super T

July 15, 2003, 12:21 a.m.

Hmm. 25 hits and no feedback. Guess I should ask the LBS tomorrow, or perhaps it is too late for such a probing questions.
I figured with all the Super T's out there, this would be a stupid question!

July 15, 2003, 5:30 a.m.

This may go without saying but you refilled them with oil right? I don't know why the damper rods would come loose like that, especially both at once. Did you notice alot of oil leaking out before that? Cause I have had really bad oil leaks with my 2001 Z1 (Never with my 02' Super), and the oil tends to get everywhere really quick and is very noticeable.

July 15, 2003, 7:37 a.m.

They didn't lose any oil at all, oil levels are fine, don't think oil level has anything to do with dampening rods coming undone.
But thanks

July 15, 2003, 9:02 a.m.

I wonder if they were serviced before and improperly torqued? Maybe the nuts that secure the bottom of the cartridges were not properly fastened.

It may also be, if they were not serviced, that 1.5 years of riding without attention to the fork allowed them to come loose without notice?

Either way, good call to stop riding it. They could have seperated causing you a nasty bail and serious equipment damage!

July 15, 2003, 5 p.m.

Thanks Mulletron. I just got the shock overhauled a month ago.
I will definitely return to the LBS in question. After further investigation it seems the push rods unthreaded from the cartridge, and seeing as how the shop recently did work, I gotta figure they didn't torque things very much. Shitty deal because there was no way of knowing this ( unlike loose bolts on the arches, or stem, I can't check this out after servicing) I'm kinda pissed off it, could have been very ugly if it had happened on a
drop or gap… Anyway thanks for the help. The shock is being sent in for warranty- another LBS noticed cracking in the M arch,
so replacing M arch, and overhaul… Thank God I have another
shock for the time being.

July 15, 2003, 5:03 p.m.

No kidding. Hope it works out for you!

July 15, 2003, 10:50 p.m.

well, you can remove the top of an HSCV cart by unthreading the assembly that the preload nut screws over. When you do that, you can pull the rebound adjuster rod all the way out of the cartridge - from what you describe, it sounds like that's what you did. That's not supposed to happen, obviously, but just unthreading it and then re-threading it isn't going to harm anything.

If that's what you did, make sure you rethreaded everything tightly, and just watch that it doesn't happen again. I've had this on my Shiver and it's no big deal.

In Case anyone else runs into the aforementioned problems