super boost plus

May 27, 2016, 1:06 p.m.

Also the 157 hubs that never spread out their flange dimensions was just lazy. Why did these guys hold on narrow flanges on a 150 hub?

Symmetrical bracing angle is stronger than asymmetrical. 150/157 DH hubs were designed like this for a reason. Some rim manufacturers offer offset spoke drilling to keep the spoke bracing angles more symmetrical with 135/142/148.

For proper q-factor numbers (the PB article seems incomplete) here's the RF PDF. I don't know where the q-factor range is coming from because the only way to change q-factor on the RF cranks is to change the spindle. If the RXC Aeffect crankset is being used, which features the 173mm q-factor, then I'd be interested in seeing what the heel rub is like on that bike. Even with the XCP (182mm q-factor) spindle, it might still be dicey.

May 27, 2016, 1:10 p.m.

You know what I'm excited about? Turning an old mtb into a city bike/commuter. And there's not going to be anything but 9 speed tranny and qr hubs. And rigid steel fork. How'd ya like that, bike industry?? Ha!

Doing the same. Just buying a growler holder.
Super dope

People always ask me what's the phenomenon
Yo what's up? Yo what's goin' on- Adam Yauch

May 27, 2016, 1:28 p.m.

it's about time someone did something about the water bottle mounting hole standard. a wider spacing would better spread the load of something as large as a growler. boosted bottle mounts.

May 27, 2016, 1:46 p.m.

Why does it seem to be so important to mountain bikers on high end bikes for everything to be cross compatible with everything else?

Honda engineers don't sit down with Toyota engineers and discuss coming up with a standard interface between engine and transmission.

KTM and BMW don't ensure that you can swap wheels between a 1190 Adventure R and the R1200GS.

Think of the bike as a complete system and none of this is a problem.

Buy a whole bike, sell a whole bike. Just like cars and motorcycles and dishwashers and everything else. It's the new paradigm in cycling, get used to it.

Feel free to take up knitting if you don't like it.

I agree with that but there are caveats. Like the fact that we often piece together our bikes, sourcing parts from several manufacturers, as opposed to just being limited to buying a completely assembled bike. If it were the latter then by all means, make proprietary parts for it. There isn't really anything wrong with that, its just not always how consumers make bicycle purchases.

The other being that we might end up with what Specialized tried a few years back with their own brand of suspension.

But I agree that eventually the industry may go that route. As long as there remains a ton of aftermarket compatibility within those standards, then all will be ok.

If I could buy a KTM and put Kayabas on it, it would be the perfect bike.

May 27, 2016, 2:27 p.m.

Buy a whole bike, sell a whole bike. Just like cars and motorcycles and dishwashers and everything else. It's the new paradigm in cycling, get used to it.

Feel free to take up knitting if you don't like it.

That's a load of shit. Half the fun of bikes is upgrading parts and seeing how it translates on the trail.

And don't you be knocking knitting! I'm knitting myself a proper vintage bike jersey.
:alien:

Wrong. Always.

May 27, 2016, 2:29 p.m.

Super dope

I demand pix. :drool:

Where do you get a growler holder??

Wrong. Always.

May 27, 2016, 2:30 p.m.

i'm starting to feel like the mtb industry might need make a concerted effort to reign its engineers and product managers in.

It´s not the engineers or the designers who are at fault, it´s the marketing department (and the whole market aka capitalism). They are trying to stimulate sales, that is all it is. Every product (in this case, the standard is the product) has it´s life span. As soon as it has rerached its peak the need to launch a new "product" to keep the consumers attention. [HTML_REMOVED]It seems that the life cycle of a product or feature/standard has shortened, maybe because of the intewebs. Everything becomes old news so much faster now. That´s how I see it anyways.

May 27, 2016, 2:31 p.m.

at 6 k for an entry level bike its a steal of a deal !!!

May 27, 2016, 3:16 p.m.

The offered Q-factor not great for an all day pedal machine, at least for my knees :S

May 27, 2016, 3:42 p.m.

Super dope

I'm way more interested in said growler-holder than anything else posted in this thread.
I just got a sweet growler, and need a holder.

Pics? Info?

The best things in life all start with the letter B
Hooray for: Bacon, Bikeys, Boobies, Boards, and Beer!

May 27, 2016, 5:21 p.m.

So Many options:

A bit spendy but nothing is too good for my beer habit
http://www.pedalhappydesign.com/products/ph-gr-l001.html
I think I may buy a stainless steel growler just to avoid mishaps.

Maybe we should start a "beerbike thread". Just getting my old MTB conversion on the road pretty quick,then will be doing a Cove/Bridge/Greenleaf Kinda thing every other Friday with a few peeps doing the same.

Going to be a great summer, I knew a bike was missing in the quiver.

People always ask me what's the phenomenon
Yo what's up? Yo what's goin' on- Adam Yauch

May 27, 2016, 6:57 p.m.

at 6 k for an entry level bike its a steal of a deal !!!

I agree. Total joke.

May 27, 2016, 7:46 p.m.

To pretty much echo what Ken said, the first thing I thought was foot clearance and Q-Factor.

Seeing how close my feet and pretty small calves get to Boost 148 frames I can see this standard being dependent on the individual riders pedalling characteristics.

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman

May 27, 2016, 8:59 p.m.

Maybe we should start a "beerbike thread".

i have a stalled project that i could/would be motivated to contribute

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

May 27, 2016, 9:45 p.m.

Full disclosure. .. I am a Pivot dealer…. doesn't mean I endorse or eschew this new "standard" for wheel spacing… I do find it interesting that boost 148 was frowned upon and is now ubiquitous. And Pivot was the major player to bring that to market. Is Boost 157 necessary? Maybe. Maybe not. I'll reserve judgement until I try one