Super 8's

June 2, 2004, 10:35 p.m.

so I have the chance of picking up a super 8 frame, and I have it at my house trying to build it up but I'm running into some problems that hopefully someone can help me with.

first of all is it possible to run a shimano xt disc on the rear? it looks like 6" is definately out, but what about an 8"?

does the rear dropout position affect anything other than the wheelbase length?

what do the two shock mounts change? head tube angle?

and finally, the hub that it came with seemed to have a spacer of sorts over the discbrake rotor mounts, what the heck is it for, and is it necessary?

oh, and what kind of hub is it? it just says santa cruz.

thanks for the help

June 2, 2004, 11:28 p.m.

the XT 8" fits…i've seen it plenty of times…

the hub is prolly a rebadged Ringle or Hadley…not to sure thou…

as far as frame settings go i cant help you there…i havnt owned a Super-8.. but i wanted to…:thepimp:

June 3, 2004, 11:46 a.m.

The bottom hole is a little more progressive than the top (or a little less linear as most would say)

Hub is a Hadley 160mm with SC logo.

Rear dropout position affects wheelbase and of course the contact point of the disc. which is nothing to worry about. I ran mine in both settings.

Head tube angle/bb height is changed by the 2 big 8mm bolts that go into the shuttle. Adjust to taste.

Super 8's are supposed to have 8" rear brakes only.

Can you tell me more about the 'spacers' over the rotor bolts?

June 3, 2004, 5:40 p.m.

Originally posted by Demo9
**The bottom hole is a little more progressive than the top (or a little less linear as most would say)

Hub is a Hadley 160mm with SC logo.

Rear dropout position affects wheelbase and of course the contact point of the disc. which is nothing to worry about. I ran mine in both settings.

Head tube angle/bb height is changed by the 2 big 8mm bolts that go into the shuttle. Adjust to taste.

Super 8's are supposed to have 8" rear brakes only.

Can you tell me more about the 'spacers' over the rotor bolts? **

you're a godsend.

the spacer, is basically a piece of metal maybe an 1/8inch thick, that fits over the side of the hub that the rotor bolts on to. I can't see it doing anything other then spacing the rotor out the 1/8inch or so, and the rotor does seem quite a ways away from the caliper so I assumed that's what it is for. I can get a pic if that helps you.

June 3, 2004, 10:20 p.m.

don't lose that spacer! you need it to move the rotor out so it lines up nicely with your caliper.

FYI. i seem to recall using a boxxer brake adapter to mount my hayes caliper instead of an IS adapter.

i'm pretty sure the hub is a hadley 14mm thru axle.