Summer setup... I'm stumped.

May 28, 2004, 12:32 p.m.

Get rid of that monstrous Bike and look into something more freeride oriented if your serious about it.

May 28, 2004, 12:37 p.m.

17.5 " stiffee. keep the pyslo and boxxer, try them both on the stiffee, then decide if you want a 5 inch fork or like the feel of a bigger fork. Then buy a new fork or keep the boxxer.

my 2 cents

May 28, 2004, 12:47 p.m.

Originally posted by pete
**17.5 " stiffee. keep the pyslo and boxxer, try them both on the stiffee, then decide if you want a 5 inch fork or like the feel of a bigger fork. Then buy a new fork or keep the boxxer.

my 2 cents **

Sounds like a good plan… but explain to me why the Stiffee would be better than a 17 inch Scirocco. I explained how similar they are… what sets one apart from the other?

May 28, 2004, 1:01 p.m.

ATN,

You are cruntching too many numbers.

Besides price, the feel of the bike is so much more important than 1/4 length in top tube or half a degree in head angles.

Take each bike for a test spin, a Cove Stiffee a Norco Shore HT (Torrent, Rampage, Sasquatch, Manik) and a Banshee.

Each bike has a feel to it in the assembly. IE the rear end on a Norco is slightly stiffer in the stays than a Cove Stiffee. The Banshee has a similar feel in the rear to the Norco, but is a very different ride overall.

Ride the bikes at shops and then cruntch the numbers.

PS- lose the red tire

Woof Woof

May 28, 2004, 1:09 p.m.

JYD, Ive spent 2 months on a Norco Shore HT and 5 on the Banshee Scirocco. So it's not like I dont have experience on these things. Having a slightly flexier rear end on the Stiffee (good name I guess) would be welcomed. I should drag myself out to the Cove someday then.

PS- performance before color. that tire was bought before the kenda blue grooves came out.

May 28, 2004, 7:04 p.m.

Here's my 03 17" Stiffee. It was just thrown together about an hour before the pic was taken, so a few components were changed after and the stem was lowered.

Standover is an issue for me, and it wasn't an issue with the 17" Stiffee. I has a 70mm stem and the cockpit was fine.

As for stiffness, the bike is jaringly stiff.

If you go to the Cove Bike shop down in the Cove, they have a Stiffee they use for rentals. You could take it for a spin around the Cove (there's plenty of stuff to play on - and Myrtle is about 4 blocks away), and judge for yourself how the frame feels. The 5" Jr DJ1 and 5" Jr T that I had on the bike were perfect.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

May 28, 2004, 7:16 p.m.

actually this would be a good bike for you. i'm thinking of one for next year instead of an all-out XC rig. i like the NRS-1 too but might not be quite burly enough.

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/cn/030.000.000/030.000.000.asp?dealerid=[HTML_REMOVED]dealercountry=[HTML_REMOVED]lYear=2004[HTML_REMOVED]bikesection=8816[HTML_REMOVED]range=152[HTML_REMOVED]model=10038

May 28, 2004, 7:27 p.m.

Blaine, that's a $2500-$3000 complete bike. I want it lots, but the way the cards go it would be a stretch even if I sold everything I had. Frame, 2 forks, all components.

May 28, 2004, 7:29 p.m.

i know, i'm just dreaming. lol. yea its tough trying to get the right ride for different styles when your budget is low. trust me, i know.

May 28, 2004, 7:39 p.m.

Originally posted by Dante Alighieri
i know, i'm just dreaming. lol. yea its tough trying to get the right ride for different styles when your budget is low. trust me, i know.

When I think about it I know that I dont need an XC bike until the week before the series begins (so like beginning of April) and that the bike should be tuned for Burke. It looks like I am going to end up with a Norco, Banshee or Cove frame then a decent single crown fork.

May 29, 2004, 1:06 a.m.

The only thing wrong with that Giant is that the seat post can hit the rebound adjustment knob on the shock. If the seat tube was back 1/4", it would be fine. Someone goofed on the design. Too bad, because it's a nice bike and it's also pretty light.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

May 29, 2004, 1:31 a.m.

no they fixed that problem on this years model.

May 29, 2004, 7:56 a.m.

Originally posted by Junk Yard Dog
**ATN,

You are crunching too many numbers.

Besides price, the feel of the bike is so much more important than 1/4 length in top tube or half a degree in head angles.

exactly. If you pick up a frame,and the top tube is an inch shorter…you'll adapt to it--it's not the end of the world.you'll actually probably find that a shorter,maybe more neutral TT length of something between 22-23 would work best,as it would actuall allow you to get over the front end a bit more,making technical riding a bit different.

May 29, 2004, 9:41 a.m.

Originally posted by trail worker
exactly. If you pick up a frame,and the top tube is an inch shorter…you'll adapt to it--it's not the end of the world.you'll actually probably find that a shorter,maybe more neutral TT length of something between 22-23 would work best,as it would actuall allow you to get over the front end a bit more,making technical riding a bit different.

Yes. I am definately going to try a shorter top tube.

This thread is now hereby suspended until I sell stuff and go and test ride stuff.