Strictly XC/AM Summer Tire AKA replace my Nobby Nic

May 9, 2013, 1:54 p.m.

Racing Ralph?

I have only used them as a rear tyre… they hook in on the corners for sure, but can be a little bit exciting in the wet weather…

www.essentialcycles.com | www.essentialcycles.shop 

Service, Sales & Repair Shop, Mountain Bike Rentals, Coaching & Guiding

May 9, 2013, 2:06 p.m.

I guess what I'm really looking for is something with a fast profile down the middle with aggressive side lugs that will bite in when leaned over.

Minion F 2.35, regular compound since you're in dry conditions

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

May 9, 2013, 2:45 p.m.

Kenda BBG 2.1 UST/DTC

Fast rolling centre section then proper DH style side knobs.

I've run it as a front tire and a rear tire. On the front I paired it with a Kenda Happy Medium. Wow that was some fast rolling wicked dry tire combo. As a rear I mated it to a 2.5 DHF EXO 3C. Still a very fast combo that still corners great when you lean it over and dig it in.

Don't let the 2.1 fool you, it's as big as a Maxxis 2.35 DHF. I had no issues pairing it with the 2.5 EXO.

With the UST it's about 820g for the tire and has pretty stout sidewalls. Amazing little tire.

May 9, 2013, 4:44 p.m.

I guess what I'm really looking for is something with a fast profile down the middle with aggressive side lugs that will bite in when leaned over.

The Maxxis DHR II would fit that description from what I've read - I'm pretty keen on trying them. They've got DHF sidewall knobs with fast rolling center knobs. 2.3 Tubeless ready Exo weighs 780 grams and are starting to be available online.

May 9, 2013, 5:15 p.m.

[QUOTE=ol' dirty;2749883]The Maxxis DHR II would fit that description from what I've read - I'm pretty keen on trying them. They've got DHF sidewall knobs with fast rolling center knobs. 2.3 Tubeless ready Exo weighs 780 grams and are starting to be available online.

I think I may replace the clutch sx's with either these or the HRII for the looseness here around nelson, definitely gets drifty and surfy, and it's only May…

May 9, 2013, 5:24 p.m.

Good call! I've got a Clutch SX too and it's a pig. 920 grams I think and slow rubber. 2.5 exo minions are lighter, faster and handle better. Haven't tried the HR II though.

Forgot to mention I tried out the 2.25 exo ardent that came with my SB66 and it was actually pretty decent. Really fast rolling and no sketchy zone when leaned over like the 2.4 Ardents. Pretty good volume for a 2.25 too.

2.3 DHF or DHR tubeless ready exo are going to be the way to go for summer tires on the shore though, if they'd friggin hit the shelves already!

May 9, 2013, 5:33 p.m.

The 2.25 ardent is properly proportioned, in terms of knobbies, unlike the 2.4. Likes hardpark and wears slow. Goes tubeless like most maxxis tires (great for me, but sometimes getting the single ply beads seated takes some finesse) It is also true to its rated size. My front tire of choice for dry here in Ontario.

May 9, 2013, 7:05 p.m.

If you have some time and patience to mod them, the Maxxis Crossmark with the cylindrical side knobs removed are great. It opens up the thread and improves the cornering grip in softer conditions and helps shedding mud while maintaining the great rolling properties of the tire.

I did the mod front and rear and I'm really happy with the result.

Details here: https://www.competitivecyclist.com/review-tires/Which-tire-is-right-for-us-%3Cbr%3E-Continental-Explorer-UST-Kenda-Nevegal-UST-Maxxis-Crossmark-UST-Kenda-Small-Block-8-UST.34.html

May 9, 2013, 8:50 p.m.

[QUOTE=ol' dirty;2749895]Good call! I've got a Clutch SX too and it's a pig. 920 grams I think and slow rubber. 2.5 exo minions are lighter, faster and handle better. Haven't tried the HR II though.

Forgot to mention I tried out the 2.25 exo ardent that came with my SB66 and it was actually pretty decent. Really fast rolling and no sketchy zone when leaned over like the 2.4 Ardents. Pretty good volume for a 2.25 too.

2.3 DHF or DHR tubeless ready exo are going to be the way to go for summer tires on the shore though, if they'd friggin hit the shelves already!

I have very few complaints about the clutch's, I've preferred them to the exo minion f's they replaced, they've served me quite well and for the most part are really good. long lasting, and super grippy, it's just a lot looser here in the kootenays than on the coast and that's pretty much their only 'weakness', and really, I get on just fine regardless.

May 9, 2013, 9:05 p.m.

If you have some time and patience to mod them, the Maxxis Crossmark with the cylindrical side knobs removed are great. It opens up the thread and improves the cornering grip in softer conditions and helps shedding mud while maintaining the great rolling properties of the tire.

I did the mod front and rear and I'm really happy with the result.

Details here: https://www.competitivecyclist.com/review-tires/Which-tire-is-right-for-us-%3Cbr%3E-Continental-Explorer-UST-Kenda-Nevegal-UST-Maxxis-Crossmark-UST-Kenda-Small-Block-8-UST.34.html

interesting..

i often thought this tire could be better with some tuning..but never got around to trying it..

May 9, 2013, 10:30 p.m.

Well I pulled an old tire I had one out of the closet - a WTB Dissent 2.3. I won it as a door prize and gave it a try on the DH as a rear but it washed out on a corner really bad and I kicked it to the curb.

The second life of it as a front seems promising on a test run, tons of grip, the rear will drift first which I like. Rolling resistance seems so-so, will set it up tubeless this weekend then take it for a real spin.

May 10, 2013, 5:58 a.m.

I really liked my Black Chili Continental Rubber Queens 2.2s, when I had them. Light, grips and rolls fairly fast.

May 10, 2013, 7:12 a.m.

I like Kenda small block 8's if it is dry and loose, Maxis Aspen is a fast a loose tire lots of fun. I am running Maxis Advantage on my Cove Hand Job and it is a great all around tire.

is going big on a bike the only way to get you stoked on the sport? what happened to riding with your bros, travelling, and riding unique places, to get people stoked on riding?

fines are useless. there needs to be more punches to the throat.

May 10, 2013, 12:15 p.m.

I have very few complaints about the clutch's, I've preferred them to the exo minion f's they replaced, they've served me quite well and for the most part are really good. long lasting, and super grippy, it's just a lot looser here in the kootenays than on the coast and that's pretty much their only 'weakness', and really, I get on just fine regardless.

Uh, cool - keep on getting on with 'em! Wasn't trying to diss your tire choice - I know it's a personal thing. In the context of a summer xc/am tire thread the sx casing clutch's performance to weight ratio isn't worth it to me personally.

May 10, 2013, 12:20 p.m.

[QUOTE=ol' dirty;2750078]Uh, cool - keep on getting on with 'em! Wasn't trying to diss your tire choice - I know it's a personal thing. In the context of a summer xc/am tire thread the sx casing clutch's performance to weight ratio isn't worth it to me personally.

I know, didn't think you were dissing me…like you said, different strokes for different folks, weight's never really been a primary concern for me as any time I have gone lighter weight, I've generally regretted it due to poor sidewall stiffness and increased flats!