Strava downhill segments decommissioned

Should strava reinstate downhill live segments?

Yes
27.3%
No
72.7%
Total votes: 11
Jan. 4, 2019, 10:40 p.m.

Wondering thoughts on the recent update decommissioning downhill live segments on strava? I've never done a strava segment but I know lots are obsessed with them. I can certainly see the possible mayhem that could ensue having someone without the prerequisite skill try to beat a record. What do you all think about the change?

Jan. 6, 2019, 3:18 p.m.

If I understand the live segments thing was a subscription bonus, and sends you prompts when you ride over the start of a segment, or near the end of one.

Basically things that encourage you to go faster. Or did they take out the actual leaderboards and times?

Jan. 7, 2019, 7:02 a.m.

people actually use 'live segments'? people are weird.

Jan. 7, 2019, 11 a.m.

Posted by: FlipFantasia

people actually use 'live segments'? people are weird.

I just Strava line ALL the trails ALL the time to ensure maximum winning!  j/k

Strava competing is stupid. Yesterday i was faster than Timmigrant; riding a trail i don't know, with a thumb in a splint. Does that mean I'm faster than him and should start bragging on him now?

Jan. 7, 2019, 11:45 a.m.

Posted by: FlightlessLobster

most excellent screen name - much winning!

Jan. 7, 2019, 12:53 p.m.

The poll needs an option "I just learned about Strava DH segments today".

Last edited by: craw on Jan. 7, 2019, 12:54 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 7, 2019, 12:54 p.m.

I have used Strava as a ghetto training tool for a while. To track my efforts, climbing and distance per month etc. but the app is so inaccurate (and seems to be getting more so) getting worked up on the segments (up or down) is ridiculous. 

It is so inaccurate now I also am questioning its usefulness logging rides. It obviously uses maps to calculate distances as they seem ok but the times are way off. Gaining 18km/hr average speed from one ride to the next with no stops, mechanical's  etc.

Jan. 7, 2019, 2:04 p.m.

I don't know what you're talking about. Mine works great in the bike park.

Jan. 7, 2019, 2:05 p.m.

(I still think the WB crew shouldn't have made that trail cross the highway twice though)

Jan. 7, 2019, 2:07 p.m.

I just got it a few days ago. I thought it would be fun to track my climbing speeds and hopefully watch them improve. Maybe compare with some friends.

The actual leader boards seem pretty unappealing to me though.  The climb trail leader boards seem like obvious e-bikes. To do downhill segments you have to plan where you can rest, and to get an actual "good" time on something like Salvation you just skip all the fun stuff.

It just makes something fun and relaxing not those things.

Jan. 7, 2019, 2:18 p.m.

curious, do you guys just use the phone app, or a dedicated gps and upload? Phones are marginal at best for accuracy (especially in your pocket), even most consumer grade gps units are hit and miss depending on how the satellite coverage is at any time of the day and whether or not your in forest, around buildings, etc.

Last edited by: FlipFantasia on Jan. 7, 2019, 2:22 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
Jan. 7, 2019, 3:16 p.m.

I use my phone.  Mainly just as a "how many days and laps did I ride the park" kind of thing.  Well, that and to see which trails I'm faster than Danny Hart on.

Jan. 7, 2019, 3:42 p.m.

I use my Lezyne and then link to Strava using my computer. Never used the live apps , and my phone hates Strava apps , hell it hates all apps LOL

Jan. 7, 2019, 5:45 p.m.

Posted by: nouseforaname

Strava competing is stupid. Yesterday i was faster than Timmigrant; riding a trail i don't know, with a thumb in a splint. Does that mean I'm faster than him and should start bragging on him now?

Yes, absolutely. That's the best reason there is for using Strava.

Jan. 7, 2019, 6:49 p.m.

Posted by: FlightlessLobster

It just makes something fun and relaxing not those things.

This. /\

I worked religiously on faster downhill segments for a couple of years...then I realized that it sucks riding like that. 

Inevitably some rider will take out your time by cheating (braiding) anyhow, and redlining all the time is just asking for a serious injury.

Just noodling around and hitting everything is way more fun. Stop and say hello to hikers, stop to clean out drains, etc.

I'm still using it, but only as a (lousy) fitness tracker.