Storing bikes upside down/vertically?

July 4, 2010, 12:27 p.m.

I want to increase available storage space in the bike room and am thinking of buying those large rubberized hooks that you can screw into wall studs or ceiling joists, but was wondering about the following:

Is it best to put the hooks in the wall studs or hang the bikes from hooks in ceiling joists? I presuming the later puts less stress on the spokes?

Any pros/cons on hanging from front or rear wheel?

Does storing the bike upside down or vertically cause any problems for the rims, oil in forks and shocks or in hydraulic brakes? Forks include a Rock Shock Psylo (2003), Manitou Slider (2003) and Fox Van 36 (2009). Shocks Manitou 4 way and ISX-6. Brakes, Shimano (type?), Juicy 7's and Elixir CR's

Any suggestions for the best spacing for the hooks? Studs and joists are on 16 inch centers. Would that be too close? Presumably I could alternate the bikes, but it's easier to lift them up and hang them by the from wheel.

Cheers.

Please let me demonstrate the ride around; really it's no trouble.

July 4, 2010, 1:18 p.m.

fox recommends you store your bikes standing up (on their rear wheel) so that fork oil coats the seals and keeps them moist and supple.

i would recommend hanging them by the front wheel from the ceiling rather than the wall - though they're a bit easier to get your bike on (just slide it up the wall and in) ime wall-mounted hooks tend to sag and pull out of the wall over time. we solved this by screwing a 2x4 to the wall and remounting the hooks as necessary, but i think as long as your ceiling isn't too high you'll be happier hanging them

alternating handing them right side up/upside down helps with handlebar clearance but can be annoying

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

July 4, 2010, 1:19 p.m.

I hang mine from the ceiling by the rear wheel. I have six of them hanging with no issues at all. I used a 2x6 to span joists and screwed the rubberized hooks into that and angled the hooks at a 45 deg so the bikes all hang close to the wall.

July 4, 2010, 1:48 p.m.

Hanging bikes off your ceiling by the front wheel is a great way to do it.
A way to get around handlebar clearance is by loosening and rotating your stem sideways, its much easier than trying to hang and unhang bikes that are alternating right-side-up [HTML_REMOVED] upside-down.
Only time that method doesn't work as wellis with Directmount Stems…which it doesnt appear you have.

July 4, 2010, 4:07 p.m.

I hang mine from the ceiling by the rear wheel. I have six of them hanging with no issues at all. I used a 2x6 to span joists and screwed the rubberized hooks into that and angled the hooks at a 45 deg so the bikes all hang close to the wall.

this.

while your sitten at your desk im banging laps.

July 4, 2010, 4:45 p.m.

I've got three of these:
http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442507585[HTML_REMOVED]FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302692829[HTML_REMOVED]bmUID=1278286759648

Held up with these toggle bolts:
http://www.toggler.com/products/snaptoggle/overview.php

The toggle bolts mean you don't have to worry about being centered on a stud. Stagger the bikes vertically so your bars can overlap. The Leonardo hooks aren't perfect for mountain bikes - there's not enough clearance between the wall and the hook to get a big tire through there. MEC used to sell some different hooks that worked better, but I don't see them online now.

Rock Shox recommends pumping the front shock about 10 times before your ride if the bike has been stored vertically. Sometimes if you don't, the shock can do a really rapid compression on an otherwise small hit, sending you OTB.

July 4, 2010, 5:45 p.m.

We have 4 bikes in the bike errr… Dining room hanging by the front wheel from hooks, dangling from ceiling. If needed, we have wall hooks for up to two more. Definately recommend the ceiling vs. wall.

Posted via Mobile Device

This trip to Kelowna was definately an undertaking - Liam and I had been planning this project for 24 hours. We worked really hard to pull out all the stops in this video. We had slo-mo goggle shots; time lapses; pedal flips; outrageous product shots; unloading and loading the bike; walking through the field with your hand in wheat. At the end of the day this trip was all about just getting out and riding with all my friends.

www.letsridebikes.ca

July 4, 2010, 7:05 p.m.

Thanks folks, ceiling it is. Any adverse effects with long time storage hanging from front or rear wheel?

Please let me demonstrate the ride around; really it's no trouble.

July 4, 2010, 7:33 p.m.

Watch you don't knock / pinch the valve stem when you are hooking..

And don't hit your head on the handlebars leaning down to pick something up.

Posted via Mobile Device

This trip to Kelowna was definately an undertaking - Liam and I had been planning this project for 24 hours. We worked really hard to pull out all the stops in this video. We had slo-mo goggle shots; time lapses; pedal flips; outrageous product shots; unloading and loading the bike; walking through the field with your hand in wheat. At the end of the day this trip was all about just getting out and riding with all my friends.

www.letsridebikes.ca

July 4, 2010, 8:04 p.m.

this is mine, can't hang them from the ceiling because it's in a closet space. the hooks aren't great, i need to get some custom made - the hooks from the hardware store need to have one more bend in them. there's a piece of plywood screwed into the studs, and then the hooks are screwed into the plywood.

and i've hit my head on the handlebars

July 5, 2010, 1:56 a.m.

Thanks folks, ceiling it is. Any adverse effects with long time storage hanging from front or rear wheel?

Only complaints I've ever heard of (or seen) have to do with components that have fluid, such as forks or hydraulic brakes.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

July 5, 2010, 8:55 a.m.

I hung a light road bike from a hook in the wall and the hook broke so I would go with ceiling hooks which don't seem to break

I have had forks leak when hung from the front wheel so I hang bikes with suspension from the rear wheel

July 5, 2010, 10:34 a.m.

Use good long beefy screws to lag a 2x6 to the studs, then put the hooks into the 2x6.

Remember that the lower tire that touches the wall will leave black marks. So either live to love the black marks or put some cardboard in there.

July 5, 2010, 11:03 a.m.

Use good long beefy screws to lag a 2x6 to the studs, then put the hooks into the 2x6.

Remember that the lower tire that touches the wall will leave black marks. So either live to love the black marks or put some cardboard in there.

Version 2.0 that we have in a rental apartment (the rack is self supporting so we don't need to worry about wall/ceiling damage and we have added a cardboard backing where the tire hits the wall)

:canada: :czech:

July 5, 2010, 12:22 p.m.

Here is our setup. We even have a floor-ceiling rack from MEC which doubles as bike repair stand and pannier holder.

www.letsridebikes.ca