Stiff Enduro Shoes with Crank Bros Mallet DHs?

Nov. 15, 2016, 11:11 a.m.

I'm on my third pair of Terraduras. Soles keep peeling off. Pity as I really like the shoes. I'll be going to those Shimano versions next.

I have Giro Terraduros too and I really like the fit but I had the same problem with the soles tearing off. I put some Shoe-goo on there and it seems to be holding up but to be honest I haven't been riding much recently so they might continue falling apart with more regular use. Are you getting replacements through warranty or just re-buying for full price?

I have two styles of clipless shoes - the more DH-type ones (5.10 Maltese Falcon) and the Terraduros. Overall I do like the Terraduros more but I find that my feet get sore when descending. It's not unbearable but it is noticeable. I think for my next pair of clipless shoes I would probably get something between the Terraduro and the Maltese Falcon, but probably leaning more to the Maltese Falcon side.

Nov. 16, 2016, 6:43 p.m.

I had Shimano M162s a while back and they started to lose some rubber around the cleat after a year or so. I figured it was just wear and tear.

Giro Terraduros did not last for me. They are great in function, but the soles won't stay on for more than 3 months. I had 4 pairs (original + 3 warranty) in 2 years. They kept claiming to have fixed the problem, but my final pair from Nov 2015 was just as bad as my original ones.

I'm 3 months into Specialized 2Fo Cliplites and so far they're holding up great. The soles are nice and stiff, too.

It's interesting, because I'm still on my original test pair of Terraduros from this review in 2014: http://nsmb.com/giro-terraduro-shoes-reviewed/

With that said, I've ridden several other pairs of shoes at the same time, but often go back to them - and they haven't delaminated yet. I know it's been a big problem for them, though.

Nov. 16, 2016, 6:45 p.m.

Overall I do like the Terraduros more but I find that my feet get sore when descending. It's not unbearable but it is noticeable.

Have you found this issue with any other shoes? It's not usually a problem for me except on long descents with really stiff XC shoes - not a common combo for me. I've dabbled with the new Terraduro Mid and it's happened a bit, however they're not quite the right size (a bit too big) so I think the flex of the sole may be misaligned for my foot. Once I get the right size I'll be able to tell for sure.

Nov. 16, 2016, 8:43 p.m.

Have you found this issue with any other shoes? It's not usually a problem for me except on long descents with really stiff XC shoes - not a common combo for me. I've dabbled with the new Terraduro Mid and it's happened a bit, however they're not quite the right size (a bit too big) so I think the flex of the sole may be misaligned for my foot. Once I get the right size I'll be able to tell for sure.

I had a pair of full XC style clipless shoes before and the problem was much worse. The Terraduros fit me very well but even on a standard length downhill trail (like Pipeline or expresso) I do feel a slight bit of pain, which I think is due to the stiffness of the sole. I don't feel the same pain with my 5.10 Maltese Falcons. That being said, I still prefer to wear the Terraduros for any ride where I am climbing (aka. anything aside from shuttle [HTML_REMOVED] park), because the pros far outweigh the cons.

June 15, 2017, 6:56 p.m.

Have you tried the Five Ten Kestrel? They're definitely stiff but I would skip them if you do a lot of hike a bike. The soles are also super durable so the delaminate problem of the Giros is less of an issue. I use mine with Crank Brothers Mallet E pedals and I imagine they would work well with the Mallet DH too.