Sticky 27.5 xc tires

April 6, 2014, 11:08 a.m.

Anybody know of any awesome sticky 27.5 fast rolling tires (less than 800g)? I've ridden the Maxxis Larsen TT Super Tacky tires for years and totally trust them on wet roots and rock. Unfortunately, Maxxis don't make them in 27.5 (sob). I'm having trouble finding anything else with a 40ish durometer that is not a DH tire.

Help!

Thanks for any input.

April 6, 2014, 11:40 a.m.

Continental Trail King (only meets your weight requirements in 2.2) or Mountain King. Not as sticky as Super Tacky, but ok, especially when you run low pressure. Onza Ibex. 55a, but should be enough in most situations you'd put an XC bike in. Or you could ride a heavier/grippier tire up front where you need it most and save weight/rolling resistance in the back. I'd be interested if you manage to find something as sticky that's still XC-worthy.

April 6, 2014, 11:58 a.m.

same recommendation. fast rolling trail kings, 2.2 surprisingly smooth and quiet on hard surfaces. maxxis high roller 2 in 2.2 as well, 3c. love the bigger 2.4 but it is borderline dh tire. very heavy, huge lugs. what i want when shuttling or riding the burliest trails we have, otherwise too much for all round trail riding.

April 6, 2014, 3:44 p.m.

If you have a wider inner rim profile 23-24mm then you can run the 2.2" and still get a good tyre profile.

I have run Continental Black Chilli tyres for three years now (including on my downhill bike). Be careful with buying UST models as some are not made with the Black Chilli compound. I believe that they are sticker than Super Tacky and last much longer.

I get 10-15 days out of a Minion 3C or ST on my DH bike and get better grip for 30-40 days out of the Trail King (2.4" UST Black Chilli).

Front grip more important than anything: Trail King 2.2" Protection on the front, Mountain King 2.2" Protection on the rear.
All round: Mountain King 2.2" Protection front and rear.
Decent grip but low rolling resistance: Mountain King 2.2" Protection front and X-King 2.2" Protection on the rear.

Bump it up to the 2.4" models if you need more tyre volume because you are either a big guy or ride heavy.

I am running Trail King 2.4" UST on my DH bike in summer and I run Mountain King 2.4" Protection on my trail bike (blur Trail C) all year round.

I'm going to be running the Trail King/ Mountain King combo in Spring/ Autumn and Mountain King/ X-King combo in summer once it's dry on my Nomad 27.5.

Everyday on a bicycle is a good day!!