stems 10mm to 30mm length

Feb. 16, 2015, 1:20 p.m.

Want to try this though http://www.jensonusa.com/Azonic-Hammer-Stem

interesting stem, and it looks like it's being cleared out. bad timing? it seems to me this kind of stem may be what is needed for some of these new bikes. i found it quite interesting that a Mondraker Foxy was recently tested, and by guys 6'5" no less. they said the xl (recommended by the company) was so extremely long that they didn't like it at all.

Kever are you on a size xl bike? 480mm reach sounds like it. how tall are you?

Feb. 16, 2015, 4:38 p.m.

I don't think most bikes with the new "enduro" geometry need stems shorter than 40mm… Mondraker takes the long front-centre ideal to extremes, and not everyone likes it.

I found this to be true for at least myself. I started at 60mm turbine then to a 40mm NSB , im now at 50mm with NSB stem feels just right. My TT length is 22.75. with 65 HA and 73SA for reference.

Feb. 16, 2015, 5:12 p.m.

Both my bikes (large Chilcotin and xl Wilson) have a reach of 447mm, both have a 50mm stem. I was kind of late to the short stem party and while I like it here I found initially I had to be very conscious about weighing the front wheel when cornering. I haven't ridden any of the bikes with the new style geometry like the Kona Process or the new Giant Reign (I'd like to though) so I'm talking out my ass here, but I can't help feeling that in situations other than straight line descending at speed it would be pretty difficult to adjust to getting that much mass over the front of the bike.

Feb. 16, 2015, 5:33 p.m.

interesting stem, and it looks like it's being cleared out. bad timing? it seems to me this kind of stem may be what is needed for some of these new bikes. i found it quite interesting that a Mondraker Foxy was recently tested, and by guys 6'5" no less. they said the xl (recommended by the company) was so extremely long that they didn't like it at all.

Kever are you on a size xl bike? 480mm reach sounds like it. how tall are you?

Yeah, although the dollar is in the toilet so it's still not a uber cheap experiment. Still may try it. I'm about 6'2", long torso though. Xl giant reign. The 40mm stem makes a HUGE difference, I felt like I could really monster truck today.

Feb. 16, 2015, 7:10 p.m.

I've been using a 30mm stem since around 2009 on various bikes; SX Trail, Enduro EVO, and now a 2013 Stumpy EVO. I also like wide bars and for me there have not been any problems going up or down despite different geometries, wants/needs etc….30mm for life!