steel set or regular

steel or regular

steel
71.4%
regular
28.6%
Total votes: 14
July 10, 2003, 5:56 p.m.

im gonna buy a chris king but was wondering if it nesesary to get the steel set or will i be fine with the regular i figure the regular is fine but seeing what you guys think its going on a yeti dh9 with a boxxer

July 10, 2003, 6:32 p.m.

if the money isn't an issue Steel all the way!

July 10, 2003, 7:11 p.m.

Depends. The Steelset is unnecessary weight IMO. I would only use it if I ovalized my head tube. If weight isn't an issue, Steel is for real.

I like my women like I like my Scotch. 15 years old and mixed up with coke.

July 10, 2003, 7:34 p.m.

be warned. there is a major issuue with the steelset. if you headtube isnt faced 1" deep as most arent it will be very tight or nay not fit at all.

July 10, 2003, 7:40 p.m.

You gotta ream it, any frame you have. Just to make sure everything is smooth. Even if you have a straight shot head tube, I would still ream it and face it to make sure everything is legit.

July 10, 2003, 7:47 p.m.

but who has a 1" deep reamer?

July 10, 2003, 7:47 p.m.

steel set is sweet if you are worried about ovalizing your frame but one of the best things about kings is how they out last your frame, with a steel set you cant get it out to put on your next bike:eek:

unless you have a problem with ovalizing extremly strong frames go with the normal one, you will be happy.:)

July 10, 2003, 7:54 p.m.

PARK makes a 1" deep reamer. We have one at one of our stores (Tenley Town and I think our Rockville store).

July 10, 2003, 9:16 p.m.

Originally posted by wisc fr-rider
**steel set is sweet if you are worried about ovalizing your frame but one of the best things about kings is how they out last your frame, with a steel set you cant get it out to put on your next bike:eek:

unless you have a problem with ovalizing extremly strong frames go with the normal one, you will be happy.:) **

Yes you can get a steel set out of a frame to put it on another frame.

July 10, 2003, 9:37 p.m.

score. we dont have a park one in not sure what ours it but it sho cuts nice

July 10, 2003, 10:27 p.m.

Originally posted by Monster Mike
but who has a 1" deep reamer?

I've got an 8" reamer ;). :lol:

Couldn't resist. Sorry. :(

This space intentionally left blank.

July 10, 2003, 10:27 p.m.

dont you have to cut steelsets out usually, if u wanted to sell the frame u would have to sell it with the headset but maybe i am wrong.

Nothing touches a Chris King headset in my experience. I don't know if it's the exacting tolerances, the fact they are made in the U.S. or something leeching into Lake Shasta (where CK is headquartered), but the NoThreadSet is so much more reliable and long lasting than anything else that, even at CDN$200 it is a bargain. I still have my first one and it has thus far been installed in three different frames over seven years without complaining once.

So why the heck would they need anything tougher than that? The SteelSet is made of - magnesium. Just kidding - it's steel but what really sets it apart from other units is the cup depth. Both the top and bottom cup press a full inch into the frame - thrice the depth of your average cups. All of a sudden the risk of ovalizing the headtube of your $4,000 frame is reduced dramatically. Better yet if you have already hula-hooped it you can probably save the frame because these deep cups will press past the ovalized depth.

That's the good news. The bad news is that, because of the thin steel walls, once a Steelset is in it probably isn't coming out. The headset removal tool (bike store dildo) may just slip off the thin walls, meaning you either cut it out or sell it with your frame when it's time to move on.

Full insertion.

It won't fit in just any frame either. Some headtubes aren't milled deep enough to accommodate 1" of penetration and others increase in diameter after a depth of about .5" (The 2003 Big Hit, for example) meaning you get none of the benefit of the added depth. Another downside is that often some advanced frame preparations is required. I skipped this step because, after testing the depth by putting the cups in part way I was unable to remove them. Onward ho was the cry and the cups were forced into my complaining frame.

Here I go again admitting things I shouldn't admit. I forked up and as a result my headtube has developed an interesting tattoo. The spider veins aren't growing though so I think it should be okay. Today's lesson is: when installing a King SteelSet, take the time have the headtube prepped to the required depth and make sure your frame can accommodate the extra depth.

It isn't as bad as it looks. And since I'm cutting the King out
it doesn't really matter.

If you are the sort of rider who regularly ovalizes headtubes or if you have a frame that has already suffered that fate, this just might be the headset for you. Otherwise, cash in some life insurance and buy a standard King NoThreadSet - it's one long-term commitment you'll never regret.

from
http://www.nsmb.com/gear/gearshots3_06_03.php

July 10, 2003, 11:13 p.m.

The steelset is nice, for sure. But its a little overkill IMO. The standard king is a great headset, but I would be a little conserned of the depth of the cups.. If I had the money I would buy a steelset, but since I dont my FSA Pig is great, cheap to, just make sure you get a silver one.

July 10, 2003, 11:45 p.m.

ill call yeti tomorow and see if i cna fit a steel without any modifactions otherwise ill just get the regular one money isnt an issue sinc eim building up a dream bike i just need to replcae the fork adn ill have it

July 10, 2003, 11:49 p.m.

http://www.pinkbike.com/modules/photo/?op=view[HTML_REMOVED]image=31006 that headtube actually looks extremely beef i think ill just get a regular one since ive never ovalized a headtube on my giant ac so im not worried on the yeti also the lbs has all the colors in stock so illjust get one form there