Starnuts, brake rub and lever replacements

Sept. 5, 2004, 1 a.m.

First, I tried to push a starnut out of my 04 Slider tonight and it got stuck 2/3 of the way down. Can i have some ideas on how to get it out. I tried bashing the thing down as hard as i could and its stuck.

Second, my rear Deore hyrdo, AND my rear HFX-9 wont stop rubbing. Suggestions?

Last, Ive stripped out the lever reach screw in the levers on my HFX-9s and i was wondering if the only way to fix this is to just buy new lever assemblies?

Any help is appriecated.

Sept. 5, 2004, 10:54 a.m.

I thought that starnuts didnt go up??

Sept. 5, 2004, 12:04 p.m.

1. Bash it harder.
2. Bleed your brakes or push pads back.
3. Goto your LBS.

Im black on the inside.
FYI: Im blacker than black.
bmx>mtb

Sept. 5, 2004, 5:33 p.m.

u must drill it out. drill out the center of the star nut (with like 3/8 drill or bigger) and it will just fall out. do not hammer it out!

http://www.epiccyclist.com/

Sept. 5, 2004, 6:16 p.m.

Originally posted by nick
u must drill it out. drill out the center of the star nut (with like 3/8 drill or bigger) and it will just fall out. do not hammer it out!

agreed, as most (?) forks have tapered steerer tubes…

toshiclark.com

Sept. 5, 2004, 6:26 p.m.

I have 2 of my 3 problems solved.

I got the starnut out. I just used a thinner object to bash it out with. The thing i was using first was just flaring the wing things out.

I slapped myself in the face about the brakes. I just adjusted the caliper a tad (musta been the late night mind fart).

Does anyone know the price of HFX-9s lever replacement set? Id call my LBS but its sunday today, and tomorrows a holiday.

Sept. 5, 2004, 8:34 p.m.

so what is stripped is it just the end of the screw or the threads inside?

minus signature

Sept. 5, 2004, 9:21 p.m.

get BONZ replacements, or any other non-OEM levers. ends up costing the same if not less than OEM levers, and are much nicer. best upgrade I ever done did to my brakes.

Check my stuff for sale!

Sept. 5, 2004, 9:39 p.m.

I stripped the end of the screw, not the threads that attach to the lever.

I dont need new levers, just whats inside them

Sept. 5, 2004, 10:46 p.m.

If it's just the reach adjustment screw that is stripped, then go to a hardware store and look for the appropriate sized replacement set screw. That is what they are properly called; however, Home Depot didn't have the right size ones when I had to buy some (bring one of the ones you have to compare the size).

Sept. 6, 2004, 12:11 a.m.

Originally posted by Rampager
Does anyone know the price of HFX-9s lever replacement set? Id call my LBS but its sunday today, and tomorrows a holiday.

The "lever adjustment screw" is really the push rod. You can purchase it in a replacement kit that also includes the washer aned c-clip. I saw the kit at the LBS a couple days ago, and I can't remember the price, but I think it was around $18.

Replacement isn't hard, but it isn't real simple either. It might be beneficial to go to Hayes web site and read the tech manual before attempting a replacement.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Sept. 6, 2004, 6:03 p.m.

Originally posted by miufahkiu
If it's just the reach adjustment screw that is stripped, then go to a hardware store and look for the appropriate sized replacement set screw. That is what they are properly called; however, Home Depot didn't have the right size ones when I had to buy some (bring one of the ones you have to compare the size).

You beat me too it :(