Stanchion Lube

June 16, 2017, 7:48 p.m.

A few questions;

What do the masses say, Is it necessary?
Do I really need to use the Mtb-branded stuff? Would auto/moto stanchion lube work?
Could I use another oil/lube in its place?

More curious than anything.

June 16, 2017, 11:18 p.m.

My vote says unnecessary.

Never used it. But I change the oil in my lowers very frequently so that likely helps.

June 17, 2017, 5:07 a.m.

When you say stanchion lube, what are you referring to?  

Are you looking for something to wipe or spray on the stanchions once in a while to keep them smooth or are you referring to a lube for sliding the stanchions into the lowers after a rebuild?

June 17, 2017, 8:22 a.m.

Something to put onto the stanchions that essentially ensure wipers stay clean (i.e. pulls the dirt out of the wipers) - at least that's how it was explained to me.

June 17, 2017, 11:05 a.m.

Hmm.  I use Maxima SC1 to give my suspension a little extra protection and lubrication (you can feel a difference for sure), but I highly doubt it does much of anything for keeping dirt out or pulling dirt out.  I don't think it's a claim they make either.

June 18, 2017, 7:11 a.m.

During a lower service, I usually put a dollop of HoneySlick right below the lip of the seals. It keeps it pretty smooth and anecdotal evidence points to a cleaner oil as well.

If you want something to keep it slippery, a cheap method is to put some fork oil on the stanchions before a ride. Cycle, and wipe off the excess.

Or get Maxima SC1. I've used it and it does make a difference for that initial small bump compliance.

June 18, 2017, 10:49 a.m.

I've been using WPL Fork Boost for the past 6 months with good results.

I was first attracted to their products as they are biodegradable and plant based.

I use some after cleaning my fork, shock, and reverb after a ride. 

Keeps things clean and slippery.

"Constant rage: could people f*cking up all the time be to blame?" - The Onion

June 18, 2017, 11:42 a.m.

where do you find maxima sc1?

June 18, 2017, 1:09 p.m.

I ordered mine online.  It isn't cheap, but it does last a while.

June 19, 2017, 1:02 p.m.

Posted by: Cabana76

I've been using WPL Fork Boost for the past 6 months with good results.

I was first attracted to their products as they are biodegradable and plant based.

I use some after cleaning my fork, shock, and reverb after a ride. 

Keeps things clean and slippery.

I picked up a bottle at the start of this season and have been using it on my forks every couple rides. I will clean the bike, put Fork Boost all over the stanchions and pump the suspension to drive it down into the seals/wiper, then wipe off the excess. Seems to help a bit and the small bottle is gonna last me forever.