SRAM 11 speed X1 derailleur downshifting issue

Jan. 26, 2016, 11:57 a.m.

My X01 derailleur won't downshift (going to smaller cogs) even after replacing my cable and housing (twice). If I pull on it while shifting and turning the cranks it will shift down so my guess is that maybe the spring has worn? Upshifting works fine. Can you get replacement springs? Anyone know if this is likely the cause (i.e. anyone else experience this)? Pricey to just replace the derailleur.

Thanx

Jan. 26, 2016, 12:36 p.m.

I've been having this issue on and off with my X01 derailleur. Dropping some chain lube in the parallelogram pivots seems to help, and reduces some creaking. I do this each time I lube my chain.

Jan. 26, 2016, 1:21 p.m.

Going to smaller cogs means higher gear which is up shifting. It could be spring tension or maybe clutch is seized? Or the bolt is seized? Those last two issues can make the pulley wheel sit too far from the cassette teeth to shift well. Check the plate that stops the b tension bolt too. Those have been known to fail although that makes the derailleur go too close. Older SRAM derailleurs had the parallelogram run close to the b knuckle and a small tweek could see the parallelogram run against the b knuckle and prevent up shifts but usually only the higher gears depending on the degree of tweek.

Probably start with pulling the derailleur apart as much as you can to clean and re lubricate it. How much play is in that derailleur? Compare the wiggle it has to a new one. If it is really sloppy it might not be worth fixing. Are the pulley wheels in decent condition? Any excessive play there?

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Feb. 19, 2016, 11:22 p.m.

You think you got problems…..

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Feb. 20, 2016, 10:39 p.m.

I think I'm having this same problem on an X01. Derailleur doesn't like going into the smallest cog, even with slack in the cable right at the derailleur. Limit screws are set properly. Hopefully a full clean/lube will fix it, but it seems like the spring is the issue. Curious to see if new springs are available.

-- Founder of Abit Gear MTB shorts --

Feb. 21, 2016, 8:33 a.m.

Yes a shimano spring will solve those SRAM issues. .. [HTML_REMOVED]#128521;

Feb. 21, 2016, 5:27 p.m.

My X01 derailleur won't downshift (going to smaller cogs) even after replacing my cable and housing (twice). If I pull on it while shifting and turning the cranks it will shift down so my guess is that maybe the spring has worn? Upshifting works fine. Can you get replacement springs? Anyone know if this is likely the cause (i.e. anyone else experience this)? Pricey to just replace the derailleur.

Thanx

Just had the same thing. Weak spring and the pivots get a bit sticky. I'm a bit more mindful to store the bike with the RD in the smallest cog to prevent any further issues.