squealing rotors

Aug. 31, 2003, 8:22 p.m.

Ive been having a problem with my rear disc lately its squeling like a bitch right now. But it only squeals with medium pressure, its fine when locked up or feathered. It sounds like a non toed in v brake. DOes this mean my pads are spent, or what? my rotor is slightly bent and speaking of that anyone know the best way to straighten it?

Aug. 31, 2003, 9:31 p.m.

i've been having the same problems but some days its perfectly fine?? i don't get it

Adrenalize

Aug. 31, 2003, 9:46 p.m.

what disc break is it my firend has been having prolems with his hayes mechs???? He just bought new pads dunno how it worked out though

The Silence Music
armchair cynics

Aug. 31, 2003, 9:47 p.m.

I have read that squealing is usually from glazed pads, and the pads get glazed from light application. Try lightly sanding the pads with 400grit or so. Glaze would explain the problem coming and going as well.

If you figure out an easy way to straighten slight bends out of a rotor let me know too. I think the only way is with heat, which some saw sharpening shops might know. It used to be saw blades were worth enough that when you took it be sharpened the warps would get taken out too, but now so much stuff is throwaway, usually not worth the time. Basicly you need to figure out where the metal stretched, then heat the area, and cool quickly (with compressed air perhaps?) to make the area shrink. Some autobody guys might be able to do it too, but I have never tried.

Aug. 31, 2003, 10:17 p.m.

Yea my brakes make that squealing noise on medium pressure to, i think is from whistler, they probably got glazed their.

CHUUCH

Aug. 31, 2003, 10:21 p.m.

my hayes never squealed since i bought em two years ago, try sanding the rotor and the pads and check if the caliper is aligned properly. as for the rotor, take it off and bend it back worked fine for me. just be careful and dont push too hard too long ar you'll warp it the other way.

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed.
This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children."

Dwight D. Eisenhower "The Chance for Peace" 1953

Aug. 31, 2003, 10:33 p.m.

my brakes are hayes, and i already tried sanding the pads, as well as heating them with a torch. My caliper is slightly off no matter how i align it, i think i need some washers to move it to the side a bit.

Sept. 1, 2003, 11:21 a.m.

if the pads dont contact the rotor totall flat it will squeal..

also if u have Hope brakes you'll be stuck with noisy brakes for life….:D

Sept. 1, 2003, 6:22 p.m.

lo IFO so true.
moving right along, brake squeak usually comes when lightly applied due to slightly bent rotors and glazed pads sometimes cause it (but often this can be checked by rolling slowly and half-locking your brakes to the just to the point where the bike still rolls well - try different amounts of lock to test properly). if it squeaks only a few times per rotation then it's bent rotor but if it keeps doing it, sand your pads. hope this helps.

Sept. 1, 2003, 6:25 p.m.

Try using rubbing alcohol on the rotors

Sept. 2, 2003, 4:42 p.m.

You can use the new semi-metallic Hayes pads as they were designed to reduce squeal.

The downside is that you can't torch them and they will wear a bit faster.

Sept. 2, 2003, 5:07 p.m.

Lube your rotors.

Sept. 2, 2003, 5:16 p.m.

new pads. it's glazed rotors caused by dusty conditions. was for me.

www.joemamma.ca
www.intensecycles.com

Sept. 2, 2003, 5:20 p.m.

Originally posted by IFO
also if u have Hope brakes you'll be stuck with noisy brakes for life….:D

I have noticed this a lot, and it's what was stopping me from getting M4's. Why do Hope's squeal all the time?

I like my women like I like my Scotch. 15 years old and mixed up with coke.

Sept. 2, 2003, 5:22 p.m.

Originally posted by BAC5.2
I have noticed this a lot, and it's what was stopping me from getting M4's. Why do Hope's squeal all the time?

if u figure it out, im sure the people at Hope will pay u tons of cash to help them solve it…

haahahahaahh………..