Spesh Hillbilly grid trail tire

Feb. 13, 2017, 4:16 p.m.

anyone have experience with this tread? i read a highly favourable review and was looking for a front tire so ordered one up. it's a thick heavy casing, thicker and firmer than EXO, a bit closer to DD. supple and rubbery though. a real challenge to mount in a cold garage, i can't imagine this thing burping. it's a bit narrow and i wonder about how far the knobs go over the side of the tire (not very) but i doubt that i really get that kind of lean angle on the bike to be a concern. compared to a DHF 2.5 though it looks narrow and the prominent sticky knobs are more upright and square. i've only ridden on it twice and it was good and i can ride these at very low pressures, but just a sample ride really. i'm tempted to get one for the rear as i think it would provide incredible traction and rim protection at the cost of some drag.

Feb. 13, 2017, 4:34 p.m.

I'm gonna be running a pair of the DH casing Hillbilly tires on my bike once this snow melts. I'm curious how they handle also. I'm hoping well as they look perfect for wet and soft conditions

Feb. 14, 2017, 4:10 a.m.

I had a set of them in the DH version on my old Demo, they were awesome in the wet.

Feb. 14, 2017, 7:03 p.m.

I have them on the 120mm 29". I think they could do with more volume to be honest. As could most Specialized listed 2.3's. That said I rode them in the icy snow the other week and it could have been dry. Ridiculous grip but they just feel a little spindly as they're so tall relative to the width.

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman

Feb. 15, 2017, 3:34 p.m.

Haven't run the hillbillies, but have used the maxxis shorty extensively. They come in a larger variety of sizes/compounds, including some nice higher volumes. They roll surprisingly fast for what they are, I often pair a shorty on the front (2.4) with a rock razor on the back. This review had the combo of shorty with dhf rear come out on top for enduro tires: http://enduro-mtb.com/en/the-best-enduro-tire-seven-combos-in-comparison/9/

www.travelswithtyler.com