Specialized Enduro Wheels

Nov. 25, 2011, 7:48 p.m.

i'm running a set of the rovals (w/ silly / slightly disconcerting 27 spoke count front wheel) currently. i've a general distaste for proprietary spoke wheel systems, but they've been solid and maintenance free, and are pretty light. granted i'm not a weighty wheel crusher (160ish lbs), but they seem generally non crappy so far.

27 spokes?……

Nov. 25, 2011, 8:13 p.m.

27 spokes?……

apparently it's a new standard: http://www.specialized.com/zz/en/bc/SBCProduct.jsp?spid=52818[HTML_REMOVED]scid=1000[HTML_REMOVED]scname=Mountain

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Nov. 26, 2011, 10:11 a.m.

I had the same worries about the wheels when I first got my enduro. I have been riding mine since mid summer and they have taken a lot of abuse (i ride my enduro like I ride my dh bike, and I am about 200lbs) with no issues. Give them a shot - they are a sweet wheelset. They are very similar to the stans flows. I normally am tweaking parts on my bikes, but I think specialized nailed the stock build on this bike.

Nov. 28, 2011, 6:12 p.m.

Thanks guys. I feel a little better now haha.

Hey Dharv! yea nice bike man! Yup that was me bombarding you with the questions.

My bike isnt clean anymore thankfully.

There was no way i was getting to 7th with the snow so i rode pipeline.

The wheels are still straight and everything was pretty smooth. Im still getting used to everything and trying to dial the suspension. I did notice some flex up front but probably because i was muscling instead of flowing. And the DH 2.5 Nevegals are way overkill and a boat anchor on this bike.

Otherwise the bike is wicked. Light with spot on geometry. Good suspension too. Still struggling to dial in the fox float 36 because ive always been on marz/manitou.

Nov. 29, 2011, 10:14 a.m.

Thanks guys. I feel a little better now haha.

Hey Dharv! yea nice bike man! Yup that was me bombarding you with the questions.

Still struggling to dial in the fox float 36 because ive always been on marz/manitou.

which Fox fork are you running?

does it have the new SKF low-friction seals?

have you done a "lowers service" since purchasing your bike?

(well worth the 15 minutes it takes with some Slick Honey / M Prep grease and Fox Float Fluid and 10wt fork oil and basic tools

Nov. 29, 2011, 10:30 a.m.

hey,

Its the 2011 Float R.

Not sure about the low friction seals. If not, i want some.

I did read about the lowers service. I did pop up one of the gaskets but was annoyed at how hard it was not to chew up the paint or damage the seal. I was using a small flat head and was as gentle as possible. There are little notches in the seal but they dont offer much for protection.

The foam ring was moist with oil but im guessing the strategy is to soak it with the float fluid? Its the same as 80w gear oil right?

what does the Prep M grease do?

I did bleed the breaks yesterday and wow what a difference.

Nov. 29, 2011, 10:33 a.m.

Now that you've ridden it, get the wheels tensioned. Should be part of your service warranty.

flickr

Nov. 29, 2011, 10:37 a.m.

Good thought.

Is it something i could tackle myself? I've built my own wheels in the past and never had issues mind you that was on 729s.

Think the spokes require specific tension or just tighten the ones that feel loose?

Nov. 29, 2011, 10:39 a.m.

Dammit i want to go ride.

From my office i stare at the north shore all day long. Fromme is literally at my 12 o-clock. LOL.

Nov. 29, 2011, 10:52 a.m.

Good thought.

Is it something i could tackle myself? I've built my own wheels in the past and never had issues mind you that was on 729s.

Think the spokes require specific tension or just tighten the ones that feel loose?

take it back to the shop from which you bought it

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Nov. 29, 2011, 10:53 a.m.

In my opinion, if you paid for a service warranty, use it. If you're not an experienced wheel builder and you're concerned about the longevity of your lightweight wheelset, I'd leave it to a pro. If you pull your bike out for a ride and you find obviously loose (like move them with your fingers loose) spokes, then by all means tighten them up before you ride. But a warranty tensioning should be done before the wheel gets to that point.

flickr