Specialized Enduro Wheels

Nov. 22, 2011, 7:52 p.m.

Hey guys,

I just picked up a 2011 enduro expert and i'm stoked so far on the parking lot tests.

One concern is the wheels. They are Roval AL's and are straight pull spokes and super light. My worry is around durability.

Should i offload the wheels and upgrade or will i be fine? Anyone with experience out there?

I'm 200lbs and ride moderately aggressive.

Will they stand the test of time or kill me?

Nov. 22, 2011, 7:54 p.m.

ride it as you got it bro, dont fix what aint broke

Parking lot punter with a beer belly

Nov. 22, 2011, 8:32 p.m.

they're really good wheels, you probably won't have to touch them for a while.
eventually you'll start breaking nipples, just replace them with brass nip's.

Nov. 22, 2011, 10:08 p.m.

doubletracks.

Check my stuff for sale!

Nov. 22, 2011, 10:16 p.m.

The rear hubs are shit,They are not really dt swiss hubsMine did not make it through the summer

Nov. 23, 2011, 9:35 a.m.

Kill 'em then replace 'em.

Nov. 23, 2011, 10:02 a.m.

If you know you're going to destroy them, offlead them now while they are new and get a more robust wheelset.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

Nov. 23, 2011, 10:39 a.m.

no love for Roval wheels from me, based on my customer's experiences with them and the mess of trying to sort out damaged wheels with Specialized

found it was always cheaper to buy a new wheel, than to try and source the Roval rim and expensive Roval spokes from Specialized :(

as a workshop manager I have no love for proprietary wheelsets, would always choose J-Bend spokes (Dt swiss, sapim) and Mavic or Stans ZTR rims and quality hubs from Hope, DT, Hadley, etc.

the last customer I sold a S-works stumpy FSR bent both his Roval wheels on the first ride, we fitted Stans ZTR Flow on Hope Pro II hubs and he did not have a repeate of these issues on the same trails.

my advice? sell those wheels on Ebay whilst new, and get some decent hand-built wheels from a local builder

Nov. 23, 2011, 10:54 a.m.

as a workshop manager I have no love for proprietary wheelsets, would always choose J-Bend spokes (Dt swiss, sapim)

my advice? sell those wheels on Ebay whilst new, and get some decent hand-built wheels from a local builder

+1,000

Although you did not mention Wheelsmith spokes, whose quality is just as good if not better than DT Swiss.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

Nov. 24, 2011, 10:37 a.m.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Any recommendations for a good go-to standard in AM wheelset? Price/weight/strength sweet spot?

I want to go somewhere in between my Mavic 729 wheelset and the roval hoops.

Targeting around 2000grams i figure.

Nov. 24, 2011, 11:03 a.m.

the standard answer is stans flows, double butted spokes, some fancy hubs. hopes are nice because they're relatively inexpensively converted to various axle sizes/widths.

having said that, you'll probably end up buying it from CRC.

Check my stuff for sale!

Nov. 24, 2011, 1:27 p.m.

secondary answer is Sun Charger pros since they are also Flows. I'd take Hope hubs over Sun/Ringle though.

721s or Deemax Ultimates would be pretty solid and not too heavy. I see DT has a E2000 too.

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

Nov. 24, 2011, 2:08 p.m.

I rode a set of [HTML_REMOVED]1600g Roval Traverse wheels for the summer. Broke one spoke on the rear wheel, replaced it right away, and didn't have any problems other than that. With stock wheels, the most important thing is to tension them before you ride them. That said, if you feel like your riding style isn't that smooth, a heavier wheelset with (more) traditional spokes is probably better.

flickr

Nov. 24, 2011, 2:17 p.m.

i'm running a set of the rovals (w/ silly / slightly disconcerting 27 spoke count front wheel) currently. i've a general distaste for proprietary spoke wheel systems, but they've been solid and maintenance free, and are pretty light. granted i'm not a weighty wheel crusher (160ish lbs), but they seem generally non crappy so far.

Nov. 25, 2011, 6:36 p.m.

Hi klankilla,

I believe I met you on the ride up Fromme today. How was the first ride on the Enduro? I don't have the only grey/blue Enduro on the Shore anymore! The wheels hold up? I've been on the same wheels for 70+ rides since I got the bike and only flat spotted the rear slightly after a drop onto a protruding rock, but not noticeable. Still rolling straight.