Specialized Eliminator- Thoughts for Shore?

Nov. 12, 2018, 8:59 a.m.

Just saw that Spec launched a new tire, somewhere between a Butcher and Hillbilly

Looks very close to an Aggressor with more space between the center knobs wondering how well it would be as a front or rear tire for the shore

Comes in all your favorite enduro sized tires

27.5 x 2.3

27.5 x 2.6

29 x 2.3

29 x 2.6

Last edited by: ehfour on Nov. 12, 2018, 9:03 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Nov. 12, 2018, 9:35 a.m.

Very interesting entry. 

Equivalent tire between Butcher and Hillbilly would be Assegai, no?

Aggressor is a low knob fast rolling tire.

https://nsmba.ca/product-category/memberships/

Nov. 13, 2018, 1:40 p.m.

Posted by: Hepcat

Very interesting entry. 

Equivalent tire between Butcher and Hillbilly would be Assegai, no?

Aggressor is a low knob fast rolling tire.

Makes sense to me, I might give it a go when my DHR2 gives up the ghost

Nov. 14, 2018, 11:17 a.m.

Only downside is if you run Exo, Specialized doesn't have an equivalent light casing.

I gave Specialized a go for a while, Grid casings just don't cut it. Similarly thin to Schwalbe Snake Skin. World's better than WTB light casing, but that's a pretty low bar. 

I'm back to solely Maxxis for light casing tires. In a league of their own in this category.

Nov. 16, 2018, 8:28 a.m.

Only downside is if you run Exo, Specialized doesn't have an equivalent light casing.

I gave Specialized a go for a while, Grid casings just don't cut it. Similarly thin to Schwalbe Snake Skin. World's better than WTB light casing, but that's a pretty low bar. 

I'm back to solely Maxxis for light casing tires. In a league of their own in this category.

I dunno about that Hep, I find the Conti sidewalls to be tough....since I started running them I can't think of one time I have had issues with ripping a knob out, or ripping a sidewall...and I run pretty low pressure for a big boy. After multiple issues with Specialized grid casing tires I moved to Trail Kings and have not looked back. Too bad as I like their tires and the new one looks pretty great.

Nov. 16, 2018, 10:29 a.m.

Posted by: pedalhound

I dunno about that Hep, I find the Conti sidewalls to be tough....since I started running them I can't think of one time I have had issues with ripping a knob out, or ripping a sidewall...and I run pretty low pressure for a big boy. After multiple issues with Specialized grid casing tires I moved to Trail Kings and have not looked back. Too bad as I like their tires and the new one looks pretty great.

Ah, of course Conti. Have never run one. Thanks for the cognizance my man. 

Chalk up casings along with compounds as another thing Conti's doing right then.

New Exo+ looks interesting

https://enduro-mtb.com/en/maxxis-exo-plus/

Dec. 12, 2018, 10:18 p.m.

I picked up an Eliminator Grid 29x26 and have a couple Fromme rides on it. So far, so good.

Compared to a DHF or Butcher, I find it holds better at low lean angles. The tire is just there; I don’t have to think about it. On faster gold trails - and I haven’t fully made up my mind about this yet - I’m feeling like the ultimate cornering limit is less predictable than a DHF/Butcher. It grips and grips but then seems to let go a bit more abruptly. But on more natural, rocky and rooty trails like Executioner, I don’t notice the issue as much, maybe because I’m not relying on the tire to grab dirt the same way.

I need to ride it a bit more, but so far I’m not convinced it’s better or more aggressive than a Butcher. I covers a similar end of the spectrum but just behaves a bit differently.

Dec. 13, 2018, 9:08 a.m.

Thanks DC for your initial review.  I imagine it would make a great spring/summer tire

Any thoughts on the weight? or sidewalls- does it leak like the butcher?

Dec. 13, 2018, 2:56 p.m.

Posted by: ehfour

Thanks DC for your initial review.  I imagine it would make a great spring/summer tire

Any thoughts on the weight? or sidewalls- does it leak like the butcher?

I don't remember exactly but I believe my cheap hand luggage scale said low to mid 900s for the 29x2.6 Grid. It has held air well so far, but I also haven't had issues with the Butcher Grid. The Control casing, on the other hand, leaks like crazy.

June 8, 2021, 2:07 p.m.

Bumping this thread for the new T7/T9 version....has anyone ridden on it? I'm particularly interested in comparing against a DHRII and aggressor. I live in Utah, so ride mostly loose-over-hard moondust and slickrock when desert riding. Current set up in the rear is a 29x2.4 Aggressor in Dual Compound and DoubleDown casing. Looking for fast rolling with good cornering and durable compound. Maxxis seems allergic to making any of their other tires in a DH/DD casings in harder rubber (dual compound), which sucks because it's very necessary when riding in the desert. I'll get maybe 10 rides out of a MaxxGrip tire in the rear before it starts to wear. Maybe 3-4x that with MaxxTerra. This spesh tire looks like it could have some potential.