SPD pedals

Aug. 14, 2016, 10:29 a.m.

So the body on my XTR race pedals do not like staying attached to the axle snap.
Seems like a QC issue since the internet is littered with the same failure.

What are you guys running? What is the go to SPD pedal? Needs to be SPD compatible since I still have a newer pair XTR race on my other bike and use the same pair shoes.

I´m thinking either cheapo m520´s or maybe going something more exotic. Durability [HTML_REMOVED] weight.

Aug. 14, 2016, 10:48 a.m.

Xt

Aug. 14, 2016, 11:06 a.m.

Three year warranty on XTR stuff so you may be able to obtain a replacement. There was a problem with the axles that has been addressed. I prefer the race platform myself as I can get in them quicker than the so called trail versions. My XTR race pedals are nearing three seasons with only the odd bit of maintenance.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Aug. 14, 2016, 11:47 a.m.

Three year warranty on XTR stuff so you may be able to obtain a replacement. There was a problem with the axles that has been addressed. I prefer the race platform myself as I can get in them quicker than the so called trail versions. My XTR race pedals are nearing three seasons with only the odd bit of maintenance.

I think they are older than three years. Also, I bought then online from Germany so bit of a hassle. I´ll have too look into it. Worth an email at least.

Went through an old box of spare parts and found my old M545 pedals. Sometimes hoarding is a good thing. Super heavy but they will keep me rolling until I decide.

What is the difference in feel between the cheaper shimano pedals and xtr? Contact patch? Smoothness of the bearings? Mud clearance?

Aug. 14, 2016, 12:21 p.m.

Like oldfart says, this issue has been resolved. I busted a few back when they were new, and have been on replacement sets for multiple seasons since with zero issues.

Aug. 14, 2016, 12:29 p.m.

Good to hear Shimano is back on their top game. Found my old purchase history and I´m 1 year to late. Threw an email at the the store anyways, you never know.

Aug. 14, 2016, 12:59 p.m.

Been running DX forever (M647)
Will continue to run DX forever.

"I'm addicted to surfing."

Aug. 14, 2016, 1:21 p.m.

^word.

Nothing beats the confidence a bigger platform provides. Worth the extra grams

Aug. 14, 2016, 2:17 p.m.

Well the weight is almost identical to my 545´s so maybe I will give them another chance. And they are free so…

Aug. 14, 2016, 3:26 p.m.

I just put my m545's back on after a year of running flats. Yes they are heavy but they last. I missed spd's but a couple of knee/calf injuries kept me on flats for the last year.
Now for the adjustment period to spd's to start again.

Aug. 14, 2016, 3:44 p.m.

I just put my m545's back on after a year of running flats. Yes they are heavy but they last. I missed spd's but a couple of knee/calf injuries kept me on flats for the last year.
Now for the adjustment period to spd's to start again.

Good luck!! I can't imagine riding anything but pure 'core DH without SPDs. As I always like to tell people who are wary of them, "well, the good thing is you'll always know where your pedal is - and it's keeps them out of the way of your shins, ankles and calves". Truth.

Keep the spring on the loosest setting and just give 'er. You'll be back in no time :)

"I'm addicted to surfing."

Aug. 14, 2016, 3:52 p.m.

Good luck!! I can't imagine riding anything but pure 'core DH without SPDs. As I always like to tell people who are wary of them, "well, the good thing is you'll always know where your pedal is - and it's keeps them out of the way of your shins, ankles and calves". Truth.

Keep the spring on the loosest setting and just give 'er. You'll be back in no time :)

I just rode up from home and did Juryn trail and some laps on circuit 8 and thompsen and secret "loamers" up there. Felt good to be clipped in again:)

Aug. 14, 2016, 5:30 p.m.

Will Shimano ever release a Saint Clipless pedal?

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Aug. 14, 2016, 6:18 p.m.

Been running DX forever (M647)
Will continue to run DX forever.

I love the rockered design. Best entry/exit of any pedal.

My knees don't love the wide Q-Factor on really long rides.

I´m thinking either cheapo m520´s or maybe going something more exotic. Durability [HTML_REMOVED] weight.

Highly recommend the M540. A few bucks more than the M520 and not super light but it's essentially the original branded XTR pedal which were awesome… The new XTR Race/Trail are a bit thinner but it's not something I notice even with low BBs and long cranks.

Mean People SUCK! Nice People SHOVEL!

Trails For All; Trails For Weather

Aug. 14, 2016, 8:11 p.m.

I'm 3 years into a set of xtr trail pedals after some very hard hits to rocks and they still function like new. In the past month I've hit so hard its lifted the rear of my bike and sent me off it. I must be doing something wrong hahaha