spank vibrocore bars

Sept. 2, 2018, 5:42 p.m.

I've had a couple of them and they seem good, would have to go back to back on same bike with another bar to see if the tech really works, could be placebo effect. But I've done tons of laps on them and my hands pretty much never hurt.

Sept. 4, 2018, 2:19 p.m.

I retired my Spank for a Carbon Renthal, and never looked back. The Spank was a nice bar, and I love how they sponsor the whip offs so I went with them. But I wanted more of a rise, and the Renthals had the rise I needed. 

I still love my Spank stem, pedals, and wheelset though.

Sept. 4, 2018, 4:26 p.m.

dude, between your spank vibrocores and salmon sponges your thread titles lately have been a little, err, interesting.

Aug. 9, 2019, 11:16 a.m.

Posted by: hypa

I retired my Spank for a Carbon Renthal, and never looked back. The Spank was a nice bar, and I love how they sponsor the whip offs so I went with them. But I wanted more of a rise, and the Renthals had the rise I needed. 

Just a quick update here. 

Im pushing day 26 at the park and have gone back to my spank bars. The carbon renthal was just too much for my hands this year. The spank bars just feel better in the long run.

That said, the only thing that will keep hand pump and forearm cramps away is proper hydration and squeezing excercises for your hands and forearms. It's your best long term solution.

Sept. 4, 2019, 2:44 a.m.

Just a quick update here. 

Im pushing day 26 at the park and have gone back to my spank bars. The carbon renthal was just too much for my hands this year. The spank bars just feel better in the long run.

That said, the only thing that will keep hand pump and forearm cramps away is proper hydration and squeezing excercises for your hands and forearms. It's your best long term solution.

The Spank was a nice bar, and I love how they sponsor the whip offs so I went with them. But I wanted more of a rise, and the Renthals had the rise I needed.

My Prepaid Balance

Last edited by: Charlie60 on Sept. 4, 2019, 2:47 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Sept. 4, 2019, 10:49 a.m.

Spank bars are the only ones I’ve ever broken. Probably just bad luck, but I haven’t bought a spank product ever again since there’s so many other offerings. 

That being said my friend rented a Whistler Rental bike with the vibrocore bars and said his arms/hands were surprisingly really good even though his fork was set up quite stiff. He felt they made a difference. 

I’m running an open-bath damper, a very stiff spring, and the renthal glue-on grips on normal chromag bars. I don’t have and problems with my hands, to a surprising degree. I’ve even put a 10 hour day in at the bike park. I’m not sure if it’s the damper or the grips that make the difference, but I won’t be changing my setup.

Sept. 4, 2019, 12:15 p.m.

Cheezits, if I remember right, you're in your early 20's?

I wonder if youth, strength and sheer hand stamina are your secret to having your perfect setup? I think back to all of my old bikes, and the parts I ran on them. We're talking my old 08' Kona Stinky with 888 and the stiffest raceface bar you can find. I don't remember having any hand issues prior to 2016 when I turned 40. 

That said, I just surpassed day 37 in the park, and my hands have never been stronger. They no longer hurt while I ride, whereas my riding pals from the lower mainland are starting to complain about hand cramp and arm pump. I did give myself "tennis elbow" on the left side though. But that's more a chronic issue as opposed to something caused by arm pump.

Sept. 4, 2019, 7:46 p.m.

I wonder if there is a difference in flex with Renthals. I run a lighter version of their carbon bar.It,s also the smaller clamp with the most rise.

Sept. 6, 2019, 2:03 a.m.

Guess who did a scientific test of the potential for Vibrocore bars to reduce vibrations at the hands? Zhe Chermans, as usual:

https://www.bike-magazin.de/komponenten/lenker_vorbauten/test-2016-spank-vibrocore/a33999.html

Just scroll down to the small section "Die Messergebnisse: " or wrangle it through google translate.

To paraphrase: Vibrocore seems to have no effect. The difference in vibrations at the hands between a normal Spank Spike, a Vibrocore Spike and a Carbon bar is very small and within measurement error. If you ignore measurement error the normal Spank transmits fewer vibrations than the one with vibrocore.

One related thing, though. The Spank OOZY vibrocore is a lot softer and more compliant than the OOZY without vibrocore because the Vibrocore-version is made of thinner and lighter tubing. Just compare the weights of both versions and subtract the ~20g for the vibrocore foam.

Sept. 17, 2019, 5:37 p.m.

Posted by: JBV

anyone in here own a pair? if so, would like to hear your opinion/experience.

I was having elbow/arm issues so I tried a Spank Vibrocore bar. It didn't help my problem and I didn't feel any difference from a normal bar, but as it turns out vibrations were not my issue. It works and feels just like a normal bar. Nothing bad to say about them.