Sore ankles!

Dec. 9, 2018, 2:38 p.m.

Some of you are aware that I recently got back into Mtbing a year ago after a 12 year hiatus. Most of my riding is on Fromme (all trails) and Seymour.

My suspension has been professionally setup. I have OneUp flat pedals and Fiveten Freeride shoes. Lately my ankles hurt on sharp impacts. It was pointed out that the Freeride sole are very soft, especially after some use. So with my sz 11.5 feet, there's alot of flex on my feet and ankles.

Has anyone else suffered from this problem? Remedies?

I guess my options from least expensive to expensive;

1)Insole that has rigid support from heel to ball of foot.

2) Flat shoe that has way better support.

3) Switch to clipless, as those shoe have alot more support( don't know if I feel confident riding clipless on the shore, I like my quick reaction time if required)

Any recommendations?

Any recommendations on flat shoes that are more supportive? Fiveten Freeride Pros? Shimano GR9?

I've always receive great advice on this forum...... so thank you.

Last edited by: Ouch on Dec. 9, 2018, 3:22 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
Dec. 9, 2018, 4:38 p.m.

Five ten impacts would be better than a different model of freeriders

Dec. 9, 2018, 5:40 p.m.

insoles or impacts would be my suggestion. I have specialized 2FOs (the 1.0s) and they aren't as supportive as my older impacts. 

Due to an old injury the action of clipping out really hurts my ankle so I can't comment on any of the newer clipless footwear.

Dec. 9, 2018, 6:09 p.m.

Where do you feel the pain and how would you describe it? 

Without knowing exactly what's going on, a very broad recommendation would be to improve your calf/ankle strength (and leg strength in general) so you're better able to absorb force.

Dec. 9, 2018, 8:24 p.m.

Posted by: DangerousDave

Where do you feel the pain and how would you describe it? 

Without knowing exactly what's going on, a very broad recommendation would be to improve your calf/ankle strength (and leg strength in general) so you're better able to absorb force.

It might be my Anterior Talofibular ligament. Sharp pain just in front of the ankle when it's jolted. It became quite painful when walking and was swollen for a couple of weeks (a couple months ago). Way better now after physio and strengthing it. But still getting the sharp pain when jolted. Probably doesn't help that I close to 50!

Dec. 9, 2018, 8:25 p.m.

Posted by: HeyZeus

insoles or impacts would be my suggestion. I have specialized 2FOs (the 1.0s) and they aren't as supportive as my older impacts. 

Due to an old injury the action of clipping out really hurts my ankle so I can't comment on any of the newer clipless footwear.

Any recommendations on insoles?

Dec. 9, 2018, 8:29 p.m.

honestly I can't suggest a specific insole as I like a slightly more compliant shoe for flats, probably from riding in skate shoes for so long.

Dec. 9, 2018, 9 p.m.

What’s your foot position on the pedals? Try moving your feet forward so the axle is under the arch of your foot?

Dec. 9, 2018, 9:06 p.m.

Posted by: JFO

What’s your foot position on the pedals? Try moving your feet forward so the axle is under the arch of your foot?

That was the problem when my ankle swelled up. I've moved my foot forward as you've suggested, it's made a difference, but still susceptible to the jarring pain.

Dec. 10, 2018, 10:29 a.m.

Posted by: JBV

i can't address the pain or source as i'm no physio, but Sole brand insoles are great and a bit thick if you have the volume in your shoes. i had a podiatrist make a thin (1mm?) plate to reinforce my 5.10 shoes as i find them too soft and floppy, esp at size 48. they have access to very high end plastics that can take the flexing and last. the guy said any podiatrist can do this, he made them for me in about 15 minutes at low cost (i was picking up my orthotics).

How did the plastic insert work, was it supportive? Did it go from toes to heel or 3/4 length?

Dec. 10, 2018, 1:13 p.m.

Every foot is different so what works well for me probably will not be good for you

I don't use flats and i don't find foot beds necessary in clipless xc shoes

I do have custom made arch supports and I am a huge fan of the sole products in ski boots/hiking boots/other shoes

I think its because i have flat feet and the sole have a lot of arch support cuz I can't tell the difference between a 300$ custom and 40$ sole

Last edited by: XXX_er on Dec. 10, 2018, 1:15 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Dec. 10, 2018, 5:23 p.m.

where's bc_andrew when you need him?

Dec. 12, 2018, 2:09 p.m.

Posted by: JBV

i can't address the pain or source as i'm no physio, but Sole brand insoles are great and a bit thick if you have the volume in your shoes. i had a podiatrist make a thin (1mm?) plate to reinforce my 5.10 shoes as i find them too soft and floppy, esp at size 48. they have access to very high end plastics that can take the flexing and last. the guy said any podiatrist can do this, he made them for me in about 15 minutes at low cost (i was picking up my orthotics).

Posted by: XXX_er

Every foot is different so what works well for me probably will not be good for you

I don't use flats and i don't find foot beds necessary in clipless xc shoes

I do have custom made arch supports and I am a huge fan of the sole products in ski boots/hiking boots/other shoes

I think its because i have flat feet and the sole have a lot of arch support cuz I can't tell the difference between a 300$ custom and 40$ sole

Thanks guys!

I ended up getting some Sole insoles. Went for a ride today, no ankle pain! Once I wear out my Freeride, I'll get the Impact Pro or Freeride Pro.

Dec. 21, 2018, 1:50 p.m.

Freeride Pro is significantly stiffer than the Freeride. I used to get sore feet on big bike park days on the Freeride, but never with the Pro... never had sharp pain/ankle issues though just general foot fatigue.