So, it's official. C-c-c-carbon V-10

May 6, 2010, 1:25 p.m.

And why the aluminum rear triangle? That's the first place you'd expect to find carbon on a bike.

As for geo, I never know what to think about the V10. Theoretically it should feel like it has a 12.8" bb, but that sounds far too good to be true.

Is carbon not flexier than alu.? If that's true, alu would be better in the rear triangle because you would retain the stiffness there. Then you can use carbon in the nice big solid front triangle without worrying about stiffness.

Bicycles!

May 6, 2010, 1:39 p.m.

Moar:

http://www.cyclecomponentnetwork.com/news/santa-cruz-carbon-v10

FAMILYBIKERIDE
823/Ringle rear wheel FS!
http://bb.nsmb.com/showthread.php?t=103825

i went black over two years ago and haven't gone back

May 6, 2010, 2:01 p.m.

Is carbon not flexier than alu.? If that's true, alu would be better in the rear triangle because you would retain the stiffness there. Then you can use carbon in the nice big solid front triangle without worrying about stiffness.

It depends how it's engineered, you could have it flexy in one direction and super stiff in another, and it's also a different kind of flex.
Having just got my first carbon bar, the feel is really quite different, and I like it.

May 6, 2010, 2:09 p.m.

Is carbon not flexier than alu.?

manufacturers, and i think sc has said this, are claiming they can make carbon stiffer than any metal frame material. it's the only material that doesn't have pre-set characteristics, so you can push the boundaries of stiff, strong, flex/dampening, etc. further than you can with metal

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

May 6, 2010, 2:19 p.m.

So, how long for carbon nanotube bikes? ;)

Bicycles!

May 6, 2010, 5 p.m.

I like the low shock, and the carbon frame. And the lack of the camels hump on the front end now

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

May 6, 2010, 5:46 p.m.

I don't like that it has an 8.5" setting. Devolution in a bike that wins on the pedalliest tracks and is still known as the benchmark for bump abgsorption.

Do you really think they were running 10" links in Canberra !

May 6, 2010, 7:36 p.m.

I don't like that it has an 8.5" setting. Devolution in a bike that wins on the pedalliest tracks and is still known as the benchmark for bump abgsorption.

I do.

www.vitalmtb.com

May 6, 2010, 9:25 p.m.

Yeah, if you've ever hopped on a V10, you would definitely know those things can pedal! They pedal significantly better than a lot of trailbikes I've owned.

I would think the aluminum swingarm is in place partly because of scratch resistant (carbon is tough as hell, but swingarms scrape rocks constantly), and also simply for having fewer line items in inventory. Also remember that these are not the production bikes - they very well may bring the carbon swingarm to those!

And in terms of adjustability - I wouldn't consider it devolution. I think its much more of an issue of broadening their customer base to people with varying tastes and ideas about what's "right" in a bike. Some people are sold on the 10" bike, while some people want a firmer setup and won't consider the 10" bike. Same with the geometry adjustment. It's just like every other manufacturer offering adjustment - it opens up your frame to a MUCH larger market. I'm all for it.

That bike is fucking hot!

SOR

May 7, 2010, 8:21 a.m.

I've seen Peat's World Champs bike in the flesh, looked to be a very convincing 10" version to me.

And I have to concur with the above. The V10.3 pedalled amazingly well!

May 7, 2010, 9:10 a.m.

(carbon is brittle as hell, and swingarms scrape rocks constantly)

FYP.

WAR IS PEACE, FREEDOM IS SLAVERY, IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH.

May 7, 2010, 10:45 a.m.

Yeah, if you've ever hopped on a V10, you would definitely know those things can pedal! They pedal significantly better than a lot of trailbikes I've owned. And in terms of adjustability - I wouldn't consider it devolution. I think its much more of an issue of broadening their customer base to people with varying tastes and ideas about what's "right" in a bike. Some people are sold on the 10" bike, while some people want a firmer setup and won't consider the 10" bike. Same with the geometry adjustment. It's just like every other manufacturer offering adjustment - it opens up your frame to a MUCH larger market.

I'm just worried that the team is going to be running them in the 8.5" setting on tracks like Canberra from here on out, because they can, and giving up a great pedalling 10" bike for a great pedalling 8.5" bike in my eyes is devolution. And if Worlds taught us anything it's that to win on a pedally DH track you need a pedally DH bike, not a modified DH bike with less travel. Whatever you gain on the flats you lose more on the rocks.
Nobody who wants 8.5" travel is going to be buying a V10 anyway. You wouldn't buy a Fox 40 if you didn't want 8" of travel (they can be lowered to 6.5" you know ;)).

May 7, 2010, 11:58 a.m.

Carbon fiber is overrated

May 7, 2010, 12:13 p.m.

Carbon fiber is overrated

Are you a cave man? Just get tele ported in from the early 90's?

How is lighter and stronger with an infinite fatigue life overrated?

May 7, 2010, 12:42 p.m.

infinite fatigue life

:lol: So not true.

WAR IS PEACE, FREEDOM IS SLAVERY, IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH.