So I Was Talking To A Shimano Tech Guy

July 16, 2003, 2:45 p.m.

Originally posted by HEYPIP
**this consumer has decided.
i had a meeting set up with shimano at whistler today.
they pissed me off so much that i'm only gonna spec their front derailleurs next year. (and that's only because no one else makes front derailleurs)

no hubs, no rear derailleurs, no shifters, no chains, no sprocket sets, no cranks, no brakes.

shimano as a company is so arrogant and full of themselves that i refuse to support them anymore. you can see it in their design and customer service. they treated me like shit for the last time. if they treat you like shit, i suggest that you do the same.

pip **

FROM ZASKAR ON KEEFERS COMPUTER

THANK YOU

:D

http://www.cyberetrothreads.com

ya fuck you windows. fuck you too door.

July 16, 2003, 4:36 p.m.

wah wah wah. :cry:

i'm sure shimano won't give a shit if you pinners buy other stuff. i for one will continue to use what works.

July 16, 2003, 4:50 p.m.

Originally posted by Dante Alighieri
i'm sure shimano won't give a shit if you pinners buy other stuff.

I think that was the point of this thread, Shimano doesn't care.

~~~~~~~~~
Owner of:

1 SRAM equipped bike (XC/Trail)
1 Shimano equipped bike that eats rear derailleurs (NS)
1 Suntour equipped bike (Commuter)
2 antique Shimano equipped bikes (1 Rigid/Beginner Trials [HTML_REMOVED] 1 Road)

July 16, 2003, 4:53 p.m.

they don't care because whiny freeriders are such a tiny percentage of their market.

July 16, 2003, 8:47 p.m.

they don't care because whiny freeriders are such a tiny percentage of their market.

shifting quality applys to every aspect of riding. not just freeriders. im pretty sure the pure mechanics of it makes an uphill gear shift a much more strenuous action than shifting going fast.

i dont care how many hits it can take cuz i havent broken a derieleur off in over a year. but crisp shifts and reliable. thats what i care about.

July 16, 2003, 9:01 p.m.

Originally posted by sanrensho
How so? You can still buy 8-speed XT rapidfire shifters (and Alivio brake/shifter units), Shimano 8-speed chains, all Shimano rear derailleurs are backwards compatible, and XT and LX-class 8-speed cassettes. I've purchased all of the above items in the last 6 months.

Yes, From Norco and Cycles Lambert you can get 8s stuff.. but once its gone, its gone. I just bought an 8s shifter and cassette and I asked how many where left, I dont think its looking to good as the guy couldn't give me a straight answer.

As for 9s, I cant find a chain that lasts long enough, that simple. Ive tried a few SRAM ones (even the pc99), a few shimano (xtr included), amd IRD which lasted the longest. The most any of them went is a week or so.. im not impressed with 9s at all.

My thought is that when other companies start making better, more user-friendly, stronger, better shifting, longer lasting drivetrains Shimano will have a hard time sell their high end XTR, XT, LX and maybe even deore. Companies will realise what the customers want. Shimano will always be around, look at department store bikes, most are outfitted with Shimano parts I bet they make most of their money at that level of bikes?

July 16, 2003, 9:47 p.m.

Originally posted by Shmoe
Yes, From Norco and Cycles Lambert you can get 8s stuff.. but once its gone, its gone. I just bought an 8s shifter and cassette and I asked how many where left, I dont think its looking to good as the guy couldn't give me a straight answer.

Which 8-speed shifter did you get? The XT pods? I love mine. This thread is making me paranoid so I might have to shell out for a backup set soon.

I'm not too worried about cassettes as SRAM will likely make their 5.0 cassettes for a long time.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

July 16, 2003, 10:33 p.m.

i'm trying to talk sram into 7speed with a really thick chain.

pip

www.bansheebikes.com

July 17, 2003, 12:41 a.m.

Got to hand it to Shimano though for making some really nice goodies. XT hydros, shifters, deraileurs and cranks.

Personally, I use whatever works. And so far, Shimano has not let me down.

I can only imagine the bling that Shimano makes. Even without the freeride market, they'll still be rich off Shimano S.I.S. off all the freaking department store bikes around the world.

July 17, 2003, 12:49 a.m.

Originally posted by Zaskar
**shifting quality applys to every aspect of riding. not just freeriders. im pretty sure the pure mechanics of it makes an uphill gear shift a much more strenuous action than shifting going fast.

i dont care how many hits it can take cuz i havent broken a derieleur off in over a year. but crisp shifts and reliable. thats what i care about. **

well my derailler has takin some huge beatings and i had to overhaul and straighten it a few times. i find with routine maintenance, i can keep my stuff working pertty good for quite some time. because of chain line, a result of running an envy inner E bashguard with evil 13 and an XT bb/crank, not the shifter/derailler, i can only use 8 of my 9 speeds, but it shift excellent otherwise, and i have no real use for the one gear i don't use anyways. my hubs have been great, my shifter has taken hits and works fine, my XT cranks feel wicked, i guess im just not hard enough on my bike :rolleyes:

July 17, 2003, 12:56 a.m.

well my derailler has takin some huge beatings and i had to overhaul and straighten it a few times. i find with routine maintenance, i can keep my stuff working pertty good for quite some time. because of chain line, a result of running an envy inner E bashguard with evil 13 and an XT bb/crank, not the shifter/derailler, i can only use 8 of my 9 speeds, but it shift excellent otherwise, and i have no real use for the one gear i don't use anyways. my hubs have been great, my shifter has taken hits and works fine, my XT cranks feel wicked, i guess im just not hard enough on my bike :rolleyes:

same with me, my vike works fine, you just need to give it soem love and care, my xt derialer worked awsome its 3 years old too, its ussually my hanger that makes it suck, i run ss now, becuase i find i dont use many gears, and im a huge wimp and need some more muscles in my legs… so ss climbing is hwere its at dawg

I just dont like the idea of shimnao making everything so specific…. like you buy one thing you need everything else for it to work properly

_SALE: 01 Drop frame, shore linkage, new RC + extras! _

July 17, 2003, 12:57 a.m.

i dont know about that. i run a SRAM chain and have for ages. i like their chains better and it shifts fine. im still using my original xt rotor and 32 tooth with the original shifter/derailler and XT cogset all from my XC bike over 3 years ago.

July 17, 2003, 1:10 a.m.

i got to admit, i am planning on getting some of those cranks you got there Blaine. they are nice and the price is descent.

July 17, 2003, 1:14 a.m.

Originally posted by HEYPIP
**i'm trying to talk sram into 7speed with a really thick chain.

pip **

theres an interesting story about 7 spd.

i was taking the bus with the bike today and as usual i have a fair load of people having conversations with me about it and i mean i dont mind right. so this guy i was talking to today used to be big in to being a bicycke courier and all that. and he was talking about the 9 speed vs. 8 and that. and he was saying even with his 9 spd XT stuff on his new rocky somethin something (Forget, a cross country one) it doesnt shift half as well as his XT 8 spd thumb shifters and likewise with 7 spd. that in the end he settled with 7 spd cassette and 8 spd shifter and he says it works beautifully.

how? i dunno. morale of the story, more does not always mean better :D

the sad thing is….i dont think 7 spd with a burly chain would catch on. most people ride their bikes up the mountain freeriding, are doing XC/Commuting and want those extra gears, or are downhilling and (i'm guessing) would want to have as many options as possible. So 7 spd I can see with people who break chains all the time or who are just fed up with 9 spd.

July 17, 2003, 7:57 a.m.

If yer riding up as well as down 9spd is a BIG difference, I find the extra gears mean I always got a good gear for whatever I'm climbing and a super low 34t is nice.My road bike with only a 7spd cog is really at a disadvantage on climbs

One of my bikes has a 5 year old 7spd acera derailler working OK with a 9spd cassette all I changed was the cogset/chain[HTML_REMOVED]changer.It just takes a little fine tuning/hanger straightening/cable replacement.

if yer just going downhill splitting in another 2 gears dosent make much differenece so 7 or 8 spd is fine but shimano isn't gona bother with that for such a small market.

Shimano couldnt even bother to show up on time for Banshee and make no mistake they could care less about losing PIP's business cuz its less than a spit in the bucket compared to what they sell to giant …they probably don't have a clue what happened or why he is going SRAM ,the reality of dealing with a BIG company

for me I think I will stick with the standards already setup .I'm not thrilled with shimano's attempts to make an all in one brake lever/shifter for example,altho it is good on road bikes(STi brake/shifters). I like to have stuff that I can swap around depending on what bike needs what or what I am building up

I think 8sp REPLACEMENT parts will be available for a little while and 9spd for a long time

SRAM is gona pickup the crumbs that shimano doesnt want,I would be willing to give them a try

9spd chains do seem to break more than 8spd.I use sachs mostly cuz I can always get em cheap at MEC