So I Was Talking To A Shimano Tech Guy

July 17, 2003, 11:31 a.m.

Well I have been using shimano stuff for years….well…since the 80's when I started mountain biking and they have allways made the best IMO. But my next bike is gonna have sram trigger and rear der., shimano brakes, cranks and bb. I like the idea behind saint but….really don't like what they are doing with the brakes, der. and cranks…..totaly different and not leaving the patents open….oh well tis big biz. Good for you pip….it starts with one.

July 17, 2003, 11:48 a.m.

Originally posted by XXX_er
**If yer riding up as well as down 9spd is a BIG difference, I find the extra gears mean I always got a good gear for whatever I'm climbing and a super low 34t is nice.My road bike with only a 7spd cog is really at a disadvantage on climbs

One of my bikes has a 5 year old 7spd acera derailler working OK with a 9spd cassette all I changed was the cogset/chain[HTML_REMOVED]changer.It just takes a little fine tuning/hanger straightening/cable replacement.

if yer just going downhill splitting in another 2 gears dosent make much differenece so 7 or 8 spd is fine but shimano isn't gona bother with that for such a small market.

Shimano couldnt even bother to show up on time for Banshee and make no mistake they could care less about losing PIP's business cuz its less than a spit in the bucket compared to what they sell to giant …they probably don't have a clue what happened or why he is going SRAM ,the reality of dealing with a BIG company

for me I think I will stick with the standards already setup .I'm not thrilled with shimano's attempts to make an all in one brake lever/shifter for example,altho it is good on road bikes(STi brake/shifters). I like to have stuff that I can swap around depending on what bike needs what or what I am building up

I think 8sp REPLACEMENT parts will be available for a little while and 9spd for a long time

SRAM is gona pickup the crumbs that shimano doesnt want,I would be willing to give them a try

9spd chains do seem to break more than 8spd.I use sachs mostly cuz I can always get em cheap at MEC **

You really don't get a wider range with 9 speed, you just get more gears in between your highest and lowest. As for the discussion about using Sram 5.0 for 8 speed, you guys should check out the 7.0 shifters. I use them on my xc bike. They're cheap and work awesome.

July 17, 2003, 12:01 p.m.

Originally posted by MattK8588
You really don't get a wider range with 9 speed, you just get more gears in between your highest and lowest.

I don't think that is true.

Before 9 spd, the 32-12 tooth XTR 8 spd cassette was a big as you could go. Now you can get 34-11 tooth in a XT 9 spd cassette.

July 17, 2003, 12:31 p.m.

Originally posted by CraigH
**I don't think that is true.

Before 9 spd, the 32-12 tooth XTR 8 spd cassette was a big as you could go. Now you can get 34-11 tooth in a XT 9 spd cassette. **

Shimano made an 11-34 Nexave cassette for 8-speed. I believe these were called "Megarange" cassettes, but I could be wrong about the name.

8-speed cassette chart

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

July 17, 2003, 1:04 p.m.

Originally posted by sanrensho
Shimano made an 11-34 Nexave cassette for 8-speed. I believe these were called "Megarange" cassettes, but I could be wrong about the name.
8-speed cassette chart

Oh ya, I forgot about those. The 1st gear was huge compared to 2nd. Just looked at the chart, a 8 tooth jump between gears. I think they are heavy too, all steel with no aluminum carrier.

July 17, 2003, 1:06 p.m.

Originally posted by sanrensho
**Shimano made an 11-34 Nexave cassette for 8-speed. I believe these were called "Megarange" cassettes, but I could be wrong about the name.

8-speed cassette chart **

problem with those 7 spd megarange cassettes is the jump btwn 1st and 2nd gear… 1st is a 34t cog, and 2nd is a 26t according to your link. that's a HUGE jump (not to mention it looks real silly, have you seen the dept store bikes?), you would ideally want at least 1 or 2 more cogs in between. thus, we have 9 speed.

IF 2nd was a 30t cog, it would be manageable. but a 4t jump is still quite large.

July 17, 2003, 2:44 p.m.

Originally posted by UFO
**problem with those 7 spd megarange cassettes is the jump btwn 1st and 2nd gear… 1st is a 34t cog, and 2nd is a 26t according to your link. that's a HUGE jump (not to mention it looks real silly, have you seen the dept store bikes?), you would ideally want at least 1 or 2 more cogs in between. thus, we have 9 speed.

IF 2nd was a 30t cog, it would be manageable. but a 4t jump is still quite large. **

I completely agree, I was only pointing out that 34T was/is available for 8-speed. Personally, I run 11-28 XT cassettes on all my bikes. However, I would like to try a 32T cassette so that I don't have to shift into the granny so much.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

July 17, 2003, 4:01 p.m.

Originally posted by Mulletron

What did the SRAM booth say? "Our X.O. is great, but man, you should try the new XTR?" **

hahahahahahahahh :lol:

superheros
I like bikes

July 17, 2003, 4:59 p.m.

Originally posted by CraigH
Oh ya, I forgot about those. The 1st gear was huge compared to 2nd. Just looked at the chart, a 8 tooth jump between gears. I think they are heavy too, all steel with no aluminum carrier.

I had one of those… wasn't too bad. but hard to adjust the derailileur