Smartphone as replacement of bike computer?

April 26, 2015, 1:54 p.m.

So, I finally will get a new phone, a Smasung S3 Mini. Should be ok and more than enough for me.

My question is - are there any of you who use their phones (either Android or Apple) as a replacement, so to speak, for their bike computers?

If so, any input would be more than welcome.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

April 26, 2015, 2:01 p.m.

Depends whether you need a display on the handle bars…

I just switch Strava on, throw the phone in a back pack and go…then look up all my KOMs when I get back home (not)

April 26, 2015, 2:33 p.m.

I've started doing that. Get an attachment to your bars and you are golden.

April 26, 2015, 4:15 p.m.

Smartphones make bike computers obsolete. Well, the old style of bike computers at least. You can really get nerdy with blue tooth cadence sensors. I have one of those for my indoor trainer. Everything goes through the iphone.

April 26, 2015, 6:47 p.m.

i use my S5 active , but am looking at one of the new Lezyne gps units that sync to the phone

#northsidetrailbuilders

April 26, 2015, 7:25 p.m.

I'm using a wahoo rflt that pairs with my phone. The phone does all the work, and the rflt is mainly a display, which makes it relatively cheap. It shows almost all the data i want on the bars, plus I can control the music on my phone.

Only thing is that it requires bluetooth 4.0. My wife has the s3 mini as well and with the operating system that came with it, it was running android 4.1. I believe you need android 4.3 to get bluetooth 4.0 support, so you would have to update it yourself, which I did for my wife.

BCpov on YouTube

www.instagram.com/BCPov

www.facebook.com/BCpov

April 26, 2015, 11:01 p.m.

My Giant roadbike came with all the sensors for a computer. All I want is a display on the bars and the cadence info to be relayed to Strava in my jersey pocket

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

April 27, 2015, 12:55 a.m.

Thanks for your replies, everybody. Much appreciated.

Is it possible to use Strava as a bike computer? Or are there any alternatives? Holy, funny how suddenly one can arrive in the 21 century… :lol:

I'm using a wahoo rflt that pairs with my phone. The phone does all the work, and the rflt is mainly a display, which makes it relatively cheap. It shows almost all the data i want on the bars, plus I can control the music on my phone.

Only thing is that it requires bluetooth 4.0. My wife has the s3 mini as well and with the operating system that came with it, it was running android 4.1. I believe you need android 4.3 to get bluetooth 4.0 support, so you would have to update it yourself, which I did for my wife.

I hope it is easy - simply, because I have no friggin' idea how these things work….

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

April 27, 2015, 6:59 a.m.

The one problem with phones as bike computers is battery life. Especially as your phone gets older than 2-3 years. If doing 2 hour rides it shouldn't be a problem but 5+ could be an issue.

The advantage is that there is much more software available to choose from.

Wahoo fitness has bluetooth 4.0 heart rate and speed/cancel sensors that work with the phones (and they are also ant+ so work with Garmin GPS). They also have an android and iPhone app that acts as a bike computer.