Slow leak using Mich Comp 16 and D3.1

July 17, 2003, 5:10 p.m.

Does the Stan's goop work for this and if so, is it difficult to remove from the rim if you want to get it off? I know that Slime is not good enough to plug a hole in the tire and I don't want to use sealant from Cdn Tire because it hardens.

Who sells the goop alone in Van? I will be home for 3 weeks starting next week. Thanks everyone.

www.joemamma.ca
www.intensecycles.com

July 17, 2003, 5:52 p.m.

A small amount of Stan's sealent will work very will in conjuction with a D3.1 rim and a Michelin tire. You shouldn't run into any leakage problems with this combination.

You can make your own immitation sealent. It's close to the quality of Stan's sealent, but lacks some of the "special" things they've done to theirs.

"Basically, it is as follows:

3 Part liquid latex-(Mold builder or otherwise, available at arts and crafts stores; MSRP=$9.99)

1 Part TUBELESS "Slime"-this has the bigger chunks in it than the regular "Slime" available at your local LBS (MSRP=$7.00)

8 Parts water.

Here's what I do: Get a 40 oz bottle (plastic, not Olde English or Mikey's) like a large gatorade bottle. Rinse out w/ water. Now, pour in the bottle of tubeless slime. KEEP the bottle of tubeless slime, empty.

Next fill about 2x the amount of latex into the large gatorade bottle that you did into the bottle. This should be about 1/3 your little "tub" of mold builder.

Then fill up the rest of the bottle with water. Cap it, and shake vigorously.

I keep the little "slime" bottle on me and fill it up w/ the new mixture, and use that to pour the new latex solution into my tires. When pouring the solution into your tires or transfering to the little "slime" bottle applicator, be sure to shake up the formula vigorously so that all the little "rubber" sealing thingies get into the solution.

When filling up tires UNDER 2.0, use about 2 small cups (not actual cups, just a little bit sloshing around in the bottom of the tire. More in a tire over 2.0, of course. More slime will mean more goop for flat protection, but also more weight.

NOTE: When you are filling up your tires, make sure to fill the tires up no more than 40 psi when you are first seating NON-ust tires. NO MORE. The tire CAN (and has, lol) blow off the rim, like a gunshot going off and blowing the bead of your tire. Then ride them out on the street for about 30 minutes IF YOU CAN.

NOTE: Downhillers-If you don't need the puncture protection becasue you are riding downhill tires, use just 1 part Liquid Latex and 3 parts water in your mixture to seal the bead/hold tire in place.

Use a high volume floor pump or an air compressor (simple, at your local gas station) to fill the tires. If you have any problem with the bead seating, simply put some soap and water between the rim and tire itself. I personally am too lazy, so to suzy's dismay, I shoot glass cleaner at the tire and rim connection, and that seems to work great, although I can get the tire to seat ever time with this solution with a simple air compressor.

Good luck, and remember, just because this works for me, doesn't mean it will work for you. I'm just sharing my personal experience."