Slipping PF bb's and bearing retaining compound

Feb. 6, 2020, 9:29 p.m.

Anybody have any luck using bearing retaining compound on a slipping press fit bb? It's not a hot dog down a hallway situation but the bb cups can be pushed in by hand and the non drive side can spin in the shell and there is a tiny bit of play when rocking the cranks back and forth. I'm thinking when the new bb goes in the fit will be tighter, but I'd like to use something else to make sure the fit is secure. For now I just cleaned the shell and put a strip of electrical tape on the inside of the shell and the pressed the bb in and it's holding toight like tiger. 

A cool suggestion I came across on mtbr was to rub some wax (or release agent) on the old bb cups, coat the inside of the shell with epoxy and then push the cups in. Once they're in let the epoxy set overnight and then pop them out the next day and press the new cups in. 

Thoughts?

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Feb. 6, 2020, 10:55 p.m.

sprinkle a little colodial silica in to the epoxy

Feb. 7, 2020, 8:45 p.m.

I'd definitely get a thread together style BB as well (I have a wheel mfg thread together pf92 on my hardtail and it is such a solid piece of gear)

Feb. 17, 2020, 5:12 a.m.

I’ve used marine silicone with good success. It’s also easy to remove. I think it’s praxis who recommend it.

Still, a threaded solution (there are many) would be best bet if it’s loose enough to spin in frame.

Feb. 17, 2020, 1:06 p.m.

I've used sleeve and bearing retainer for a squeaky from new raceface cranks on a square taper crank which did cure the squeak 100% ,

that crank was really on there cuz  I needed a lever on the end of the crank puller tool and some heat  to get it off

eventualy the spindle snapped

Feb. 17, 2020, 6:03 p.m.

What material is the frame? I had a carbon frame that didn't want to hold a BB92.  I used loctite 609 and 7649 and it is solid now