simple tubeless tips?

June 2, 2013, 12:21 p.m.

thanks all for the tips. watched the Stans vid (is that Stan himself, or is Stan kinda like Pink Floyd?) with the girlfriend, 5 minutes in she said, fuck it put a tube in i'd be riding for 3 minutes all ready. funny girl.

still a bit confused, do you need both a rim strip AND tape? or a strip of gorilla good enough? depends on the rim bed i suppose?

June 2, 2013, 12:38 p.m.

No. 1 tubeless tip: Install tube.

Weak.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

June 2, 2013, 12:46 p.m.

thanks all for the tips. watched the Stans vid (is that Stan himself, or is Stan kinda like Pink Floyd?) with the girlfriend, 5 minutes in she said, fuck it put a tube in i'd be riding for 3 minutes all ready. funny girl.

still a bit confused, do you need both a rim strip AND tape? or a strip of gorilla good enough? depends on the rim bed i suppose?

No. Tape seals the spoke bed. IF. the rim is tubeless ready like Stan's or many others, tape should be sufficient. Or gorilla tape. If the tire is a loose fit, more tape is needed to make it tighter. Compressors help loose or poor fitting tires and/or rims overcome the airy fit. Using a proper tubeless or tubeless ready tires and rims and you should be able to pump up easily with a foot pump.

Search the forum and you will find several dissertations by myself and others on tubeless. It's daunting at first but once you have a few installs under your belt you realize a monkey could do it. big-Ted isn't quite up to monkey IQ I guess.

June 2, 2013, 1:11 p.m.

Anyone make their own sealant?

Let it flow, let yourself go
Slow and low, that is the tempo

June 2, 2013, 1:39 p.m.

1 part ATV tire sealant, 1 part liquid latex (available at Hollywood North, get the freshest available), and 3 parts RV antifreeze (biodegradeable, different than regular antifreeze). This is my go-to homebrew.

Works out much cheaper than Stans, particularly if you are a tire freak like Clark, or like changing up for different conditions. In my experience it has superior sealing capabilities. You do get "boogers" occasionally inside the tires where clots break off and tumble around, but that's a minor quibble. I have a prize booger that's about the size of an apricot. Might try to sell it on Ebay (: The mix seems to last just fine- I had tires stay sealed through 8 months of use. When it does dry up, it seems to leave a stickier residue that provides a longer-lasting seal on the bead than Stans does.

Don't add glitter- crap doesn't help at all. This recipe is tried and true. However, if in extremely dry and hot or extremely cold, it may be worth doing some chem research on how to modify. For the northwest, it's all good.

June 2, 2013, 9:20 p.m.

tightening a loop of rope around the tire casing will spread the beads enough to let you inflate with a floor pump, do this by making a loop of rope just bigger than the tire and winding a lever up in the loop to make it smaller

smart!

June 2, 2013, 9:51 p.m.

I can't imagine doing a tire without an air compressor. If you don't have a compressor, get as close to ready as possible and then go to a gas station to do the final "pop" onto the edge of the rim. Don't over inflate or you'll stretch the tire.
Begin practicing comments to use for your friends who are holding up your ride while they fix pinch flats.
(which is, of course, why you're going to do both front and rear tires!)

This.

Save yourself the headache and just get it all ready, go to a gas station, put the sealant in waiting gap, and inflate. If you get good at it you should be able to be in and out in 60 seconds. Beats the hell out of a floor pump.

iforonewelcome.com

June 2, 2013, 10:42 p.m.

^^^^^^not that. If you have tubeless ready tires and tubeless ready rims you do not need a compressor at all.

June 3, 2013, 9:19 a.m.

[QUOTE=cerealkilla';2755479]Very important when mastering these techniques, find a nice sound-proof area to practice in, so your neighbours and loved ones don't have to hear you screaming goddamned cocsuking sonofabch fuking basard piece of s*t as you repeatedly spray gunk all over yourself, the walls, the floor, and everything else as you flail away in an effort to get the beads to set up.

Or if you're using a compressor and not paying attention…. BANG. Wet goo all over the place and concerned neighbors running over thinking you shot someone.

All propaganda has to be popular and has to accommodate itself to the comprehension of the least intelligent of those whom it seeks to reach.

June 3, 2013, 11:11 a.m.

I just set up my new bike with tubeless for the first time and was amazed at how easy it was. I used gorilla tape instead of stans because I am cheap, stans fluid, Spank Oozy wheels with Specialized 2Bliss tires and a buddies compressor…and it worked great.

I did have help from someone who had done it in the past…but I was surprised at how easy it was. It has been a week and I just had to put some air in the tires today…they seem to be losing a little air every day…I hope that get's better. I don't really notice any difference from tubes…but I also just went to a 29er at the same time…

June 3, 2013, 12:11 p.m.

^^^^^^not that. If you have tubeless ready tires and tubeless ready rims you do not need a compressor at all.

I dont think this is always true. I have had issues with tubeless ready tires on tubeless rims where I couldnt get the bead to seat no matter how hard I tried. I spent about an hour, tried all the tricks with ropes and straps, nothing worked. Went and grabbed my compressor and it only took a couple minutes.

The problem I was having is that the tubeless ready tires I was mounting have a folding bead, and the way they were packaged left the bead misshapen, to the point where it was really hard to create a seal.

This hasnt always been the case for me, Ive been able to mount 5 of 6 tires successfully with a floor pump. The last tire I mounted required me to pull out the compressor, and it was so easy I will just use that method from now on.