Silent rear hub

Feb. 3, 2017, 10:04 a.m.

I have DT Swiss hubs that came on a spline wheel set which are more or less silent and have been reliable for 2 seasons / zero maintenance. the Rims sucked though.

I am still on the fence about silent hubs…. I'm not a fan of the angry bees buzz but a small buzz hides all the other noises your bike makes….

Every clunk, creak and chain slap is that much more obvious.

Feb. 3, 2017, 11:14 a.m.

I have DT Swiss hubs that came on a spline wheel set which are more or less silent and have been reliable for 2 seasons / zero maintenance. the Rims sucked though.

I am still on the fence about silent hubs…. I'm not a fan of the angry bees buzz but a small buzz hides all the other noises your bike makes….

Every clunk, creak and chain slap is that much more obvious.

the first rider i met who had a Nobl wheelset confirmed this exact thing. he had a high end wonderbike, and said you question every little sound that pops up (and sometimes goes away) once the hub sound is gone. said it drove him a bit nuts at first chasing everything then he let it go. raved about the wheels, natch.

Feb. 4, 2017, 4:35 p.m.

I have DT 350 Hub and it makes almost no noise.

Feb. 4, 2017, 8:40 p.m.

… said you question every little sound that pops up (and sometimes goes away) once the hub sound is gone. said it drove him a bit nuts at first chasing everything then he let it go. raved about the wheels, natch.

Once Tungsten finds that silent hub this thread will devolve into 'How do I quiet the rest of that #"###* racket I wasn't noticing before!?!" ;) Looking forward to that actually…I'll be paying close attention. My hub is like 200db and I can still hear the cables rattling around inside the frame even after wrapping. :|

It is surprising how much quieter a hub is after lubing the prawls though. Grease especially, (if your hub works with grease). My current hub is oil only, I open it up and and just go to town with Dumonde Tech freehub oil on the prawls.

https://nsmba.ca/product-category/memberships/

Feb. 5, 2017, 11:56 a.m.

DT Swiss. Best bang for the buck and very durable. My oldest set is going on 6 years of regular riding. I clean and lube the star ratchet often but have never needed to replace a bearing. If I wanted to go carbon I would give nobl a serious look.

Feb. 5, 2017, 12:07 p.m.

Once Tungsten finds that silent hub this thread will devolve into 'How do I quiet the rest of that #"###* racket I wasn't noticing before!?!" ;) Looking forward to that actually…I'll be paying close attention. My hub is like 200db and I can still hear the cables rattling around inside the frame even after wrapping. :|

It is surprising how much quieter a hub is after lubing the prawls though. Grease especially, (if your hub works with grease). My current hub is oil only, I open it up and and just go to town with Dumonde Tech freehub oil on the prawls.

get a frame that doesn't have internal cabling routing :P

one trick my friend did was pull it tight and put a zapstrap on it.

Feb. 7, 2017, 6:12 a.m.

Cheapest option? Convince your riding buddy to buy a Hope Pro 4 and you'll never ever hear your ST Swiss 350 again!

Loud hubs save lives.

Shed head!

Feb. 7, 2017, 6:19 a.m.

Loud hubs save lives.

They do in grizzy bear country… louder the better for me.. lol…

Feb. 7, 2017, 7:04 a.m.

They do in grizzy bear country… louder the better for me.. lol…

Then get a Profile Elite on a hydroformed frame. The Profile has 204 POE and is insanely loud.

I personally like loud hubs, but when I was running this hub on an aluminum Intense BMX, it was way too loud, even by my standards. I prefer it now that it is on a steel BMX race frame that doesn't resonate as much.

:lol::thepimp:

Feb. 7, 2017, 10:11 a.m.

Rather listen to a bear bell.

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.