Silent rear hub

Jan. 31, 2017, 11:26 p.m.

Beside a sprag hub which ones make the least noise?

Spank Spoon didn't sound too bad and apparently the new Project 321 has a way to bath the pawls in oil or something.

I once pumped a Dura Ace 7400 full of oil it was nice and quiet until 20 yr or so passed the oil got gummy then it free-wheeled in both directions! :lol:

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Feb. 1, 2017, 5:35 a.m.

The only modern high end silent hubs I know of. There was a pretty informative thread a while back on this subject.

http://nsmb.com/true-precision-instant-silent-gold/

http://nsmb.com/stealth-hubs-teardown-first-impressions/

Feb. 1, 2017, 6:31 a.m.

True Precision and Onyx… and NOBL which are re-branded Onyx hubs….

For "normal" hubs DT Swiss are relatively quiet…

Feb. 1, 2017, 8:09 a.m.

DT Swiss: easy to service, good supply of parts, light, reliable, convertible to most hub standards. Install on bike. Ride bike.

Virtually any other hub: more points of engagement (meh), silent (meh), harder to service, get parts for and less reliable.

I'm getting boring: I like parts that just work so I can use my limited time for bikin', not wrenching.

Feb. 1, 2017, 9:21 a.m.

DT Swiss: easy to service, good supply of parts, light, reliable, convertible to most hub standards. Install on bike. Ride bike.

Virtually any other hub: more points of engagement (meh), silent (meh), harder to service, get parts for and less reliable.

I'm getting boring: I like parts that just work so I can use my limited time for bikin', not wrenching.

I'm guessing by "service" you mean just the freewheel mechanism. Changing the axle bearings out of a rear DT hub is a royal pain in the ass. Whoever designed the system that has a steel ring tightening into an aluminum hub body under load should be forced to work in a shop changing out bearings in their design for a year. Massively overrated in my opinion.

Feb. 1, 2017, 9:25 a.m.

In my experience, i9 is more reliable than dt swiss. Get any dirt or grit in the dtswiss star ratchet, and theyll start to slip, especially with higher engagements.

BCpov on YouTube

www.instagram.com/BCPov

www.facebook.com/BCpov

Feb. 1, 2017, 11:04 a.m.

The Onyx is completely silent and the most durable one out there in terms of freewheel strength. A buddy is a tester for them and I've seen him blow up just about every freehub out there.

I run Onyx on one bike and DT Swiss on the other and while DT Swiss is quiet for a hub it still makes some noise. Onyx also has instant engagement, which is even better than an i9.

Feb. 1, 2017, 1:46 p.m.

I would like to try the Onyx, but I don't think my CK hubs are going anywhere soon….best damn hubs ever.

Feb. 1, 2017, 1:57 p.m.

I would like to try the Onyx, but I don't think my CK hubs are going anywhere soon….best damn hubs ever.

^^This. Have 3 sets of CK hubs and they are probably the lowest maintenance item on all of the bikes. I prefer the CK 'angry bees' to silence myself.

Feb. 1, 2017, 2:16 p.m.

The only reason to give a Chris King is if you change the frame and fork and the hubs won't fit anymore.

In initial riding (1 to 2 years) I'd say Onyx are looking as good, but only time will tell if their bearings and finish are as good as CK's.

Feb. 1, 2017, 4:45 p.m.

NOBL…currency adjusted are 2 hun less than comparable Nox/TRS wheelsets + no border issues + FREE shipping and assembled in Canada, yes?

Alloy freehub bodies worth the extra $50 iyo?

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Feb. 1, 2017, 7:06 p.m.

NOBL…currency adjusted are 2 hun less than comparable Nox/TRS wheelsets + no border issues + FREE shipping and assembled in Canada, yes?

Not sure on cost, but yes to rest. Also ace dudes to deal with pre and post purchase.

Feb. 1, 2017, 7:48 p.m.

Cheapest option? Convince your riding buddy to buy a Hope Pro 4 and you'll never ever hear your ST Swiss 350 again!

Feb. 1, 2017, 8:39 p.m.

Didn't Shimano recently apply for patent on silent hubs again?

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Feb. 2, 2017, 9:42 a.m.

I'm guessing by "service" you mean just the freewheel mechanism. Changing the axle bearings out of a rear DT hub is a royal pain in the ass. Whoever designed the system that has a steel ring tightening into an aluminum hub body under load should be forced to work in a shop changing out bearings in their design for a year. Massively overrated in my opinion.

You're right actually. I guess I just mean that the parts are always available and in stock in any decent bike shop, which means that my bike isn't down (and me missing rides) while parts are ordered. I'm realizing that I actually do very little service to my mountain bike these days.

I've got good life out of the freewheel bodies, and really appreciate that I've been able to migrate from QR to 142mm with in-stock parts and that they're common enough that there's conversion kits to go to boost when that's required. I don't like having to rebuild wheels and buy $$$$ rear hubs if they're not destroyed.