Should I be worried?

June 15, 2005, 8:28 p.m.

Okay, so I just (2 weeks ago) bought a 2005 Talas for my DOC. I only had a couple rides on it before slamming my hand in a car door, putting me out of commission for a couple weeks. It feels great (the fork), but as I sit here dreaming of jumping I'm thinking more and more about the safety of riding mainly DJ with this fork. I know I probably should have considered this before buying, but I'm light (135lbs) and figured I would be fine.

Thoughts on the durability of this fork? I see pros like Carter Holland and a lot of brit riders jumping with 'em, but they're super smooth right? Should I get rid of it? The owners manual says "perfect for all types of riding", but does that include jumping?

"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid."

~Epictetus

June 15, 2005, 9:07 p.m.

Actually TALAS is a fork model. The adjustment system was rolled out originally on the TALAS fork, then moved to the other forks.

June 15, 2005, 10:26 p.m.

It's a light weight XC fork. Sure some pros dirtjump/4X on them, but I wouldn't. I don't get free replacements.

June 16, 2005, 12:41 a.m.

Sorry, TALAS RLC

It's a light weight XC fork. Sure some pros dirtjump/4X on them, but I wouldn't. I don't get free replacements.

Isn't it marketed as an all-mountain freeride fork? Which means there are 250lb guys out there dropping with 'em.

~Epictetus

June 16, 2005, 8:07 a.m.

ya it is considered a light freeride fork on the website i run a talas as well and had the same concerns but i dh on it and last weekend i hit a lil jump and cleared the landing by about 10 feet and landed hard front tire first and bailed. The fork didnt budge flexed a bit but still good to go. Not to sure about dirtjumping but if it says it is for light freeride i dont see dirt jumping being too big of a prob

June 16, 2005, 10:06 a.m.

I mean, it's already been better than the Static, right?

~Epictetus

June 16, 2005, 10:22 a.m.

I guess it's been better than the Static. But aren't Foxes rather expensive? You weren't considering a Sherman either? I wouldn't worry too much though.

I'm not only president of Head Clubbing for Men, I'm also a client.

June 16, 2005, 11 a.m.

Yeah, I thought about a Sherman Jumper, but got a really wicked deal that made it way less expensive than the Jumper. I actually ordered a Vanilla but when it came in it was a Talas so I got it for really cheap and figured 'why not'?

~Epictetus

June 16, 2005, 1:41 p.m.

If your 135 pounds you could jump on my RST without breaking it unless you ride like a hack, just go out and giver, you got a sweet fork.

June 16, 2005, 8:26 p.m.

I'll be back out as soon as I heal up…..worst part was having to open the door agian after it had closed with all the blood……kinda funny actually

~Epictetus