Short travel 29'ers

Nov. 29, 2021, 9:17 a.m.

RSD says they’re supposed to have threadlocker, and to re-apply after adjusting. As far as I can tell they didn’t have any. I tried grease, and haven’t had issues with the drive side since. Non drive side dropout broke so that may explain why it’s been slipping. The adjuster bolts don’t really lock into place (they're more like oversized road bike horizontal adjustment screws than something like a tug nut that holds the axle) so I doubt they do much if the dropout bolts loosed up.

I have a new dropout on the way, we’ll see what happens when I apply some blue thread locker as per RSD's instructions.

A pivot bolt backed out and broke in the process. That cost $60+$22 shipping that I don’t think a shop would have charged.  I don't think it had any thread locker but it was supposed to.   I've only recently added some so we'll see if that keeps it from backing off.

Those bikeman bolts won’t fit with the sleeve. Not sure what difference they’d make, the RSD bolts have a very large head on them with a decent socket for the hex key.  They're both M8's.  Maybe a higher grade would stretch less and therefore loosen off less?  I'd think there shouldn't be much load on the bolts themselves once things are tight as the dropout slots into the adjustment slot.

Last edited by: tashi on Nov. 29, 2021, 11:22 a.m., edited 3 times in total.
Nov. 29, 2021, 9:36 a.m.

Posted by: Vikb

and I don't go nuts on the torque. 

I definitely go nuts on my torque ;)

Nov. 29, 2021, 10:20 a.m.

Interesting - the Explosif I had used a similar system to the RSD and I experienced no self adjusting adjustable stays. Probably the worst has been Salsa Alternators ... if they're not TIGHT they can migrate a bit under hard braking. Either way it doesn't hurt to take a closer look at sturdier hardware should the need arise.

Nov. 29, 2021, 7:48 p.m.

Posted by: tashi

RSD says they’re supposed to have threadlocker, and to re-apply after adjusting. As far as I can tell they didn’t have any. I tried grease, and haven’t had issues with the drive side since. Non drive side dropout broke so that may explain why it’s been slipping. The adjuster bolts don’t really lock into place (they're more like oversized road bike horizontal adjustment screws than something like a tug nut that holds the axle) so I doubt they do much if the dropout bolts loosed up.

I have a new dropout on the way, we’ll see what happens when I apply some blue thread locker as per RSD's instructions.

A pivot bolt backed out and broke in the process. That cost $60+$22 shipping that I don’t think a shop would have charged.  I don't think it had any thread locker but it was supposed to.   I've only recently added some so we'll see if that keeps it from backing off.

Those bikeman bolts won’t fit with the sleeve. Not sure what difference they’d make, the RSD bolts have a very large head on them with a decent socket for the hex key.  They're both M8's.  Maybe a higher grade would stretch less and therefore loosen off less?  I'd think there shouldn't be much load on the bolts themselves once things are tight as the dropout slots into the adjustment slot.

Apologies for the assumption, I’m positive the RSD bolts I’ve seen have comparatively tiny heads v. the Kona.

I guess follow their instructions but the idea those bolts need threadlocker is crazy to me. I’ve owned multiple Units and Honzos that use nominally the same system and I’ve even run them without the tug bolts before. If you can torque those bolts adequately there’s no way they should be working loose. 

I’ve had slipping issues with the shallow 5mm head bolts on Paragon swingers but I just replace them with the Kona bolts (with a bit of grease either way) and never have another issue.

Nov. 29, 2021, 11:38 p.m.

My bike has two attachment points for the rear axle. Basically, it's a point to fix the fork and a contact point for the carriage.

Nov. 30, 2021, 8:15 a.m.

Posted by: AndrewMajor

So is the theory with the bolts that the shallow heads flex under strain so normal deep socket heads (like the Kona bolts) resist this better?

Nov. 30, 2021, 5:54 p.m.

Posted by: tashi

Posted by: AndrewMajor

So is the theory with the bolts that the shallow heads flex under strain so normal deep socket heads (like the Kona bolts) resist this better?

My theory is that they spec an M8 bolt so it can be cranked down to hold everything in place but shallow 5mm hex-head bolts don't lend themselves to being tightened that much. Swap in the deep 6mm hex-head bolts from the Kona and I feel comfortable cranking those beauties much tighter (they feel way more positive loosening them too). It could be flexing loose as well though - never thought of that.

Last edited by: AndrewMajor on Nov. 30, 2021, 5:55 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Nov. 30, 2021, 6:30 p.m.

Hmmmmmmmm…

Last edited by: tashi on Nov. 30, 2021, 6:31 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Nov. 30, 2021, 10:21 p.m.

Years back I had a Kona Unit that I was trying SS on. It didn't have chain tugs, and the sliders would migrate forward under the enormous *cough* torque I was generating.

Dec. 2, 2021, 3:42 p.m.

Here's the brake side rear dropout assembly from my Wildcat V2, broken one on the left, new one on the right. The tab that engages with the frame broke off, which isn't surprising as there is very little meat left around the bolt holes and I was probably riding it loose. Looking at the bolts they are a little shallow, although I seem to be able to lean on the 5mm wrench pretty good when tightening. I think I'll get some higher grade ones with a deep socket just to be sure, if there's any place on a bike that could strain a bolt it's here.

The adjuster is there as well, it's not a particularly useful setup to my eyes as it doesn't capture the axle so can't pull it forward but who knows? I suppose it helps drop it back into the same spot if you loosen it off. I just tighten one side then the other, just like a nutted axle on a horizontal dropout.

Wildcat Dropout

Dec. 2, 2021, 3:44 p.m.

Posted by: UFO

Years back I had a Kona Unit that I was trying SS on. It didn't have chain tugs, and the sliders would migrate forward under the enormous *cough* torque I was generating.

Were you as bummed as I was when you found out that it's just really low gearing doing that?  

I used to pull my road bike wheel out, thought I was a real badass.  Then I stopped doing aggressive starts in a low gear and it stopped.  Whoops, not that strong after all.

Dec. 21, 2021, 8:50 p.m.

Just bought an Optic 🪅. Just in time for the sharknado blizzard, but still jumping up and down excited.

Thought about going back to longer travel, but after a day out testing a long travel was missing my short travel like the flower misses the sun.

Dec. 22, 2021, 8:35 a.m.

I have a couple bros with the Optic, they love it. Lively, responsive and capable = big fun.

Dec. 22, 2021, 8:52 a.m.

Posted by: Hepcat

Just bought an Optic 

Nice! Enjoy the new ride. The Optics I've seen in person looked great.

Dec. 23, 2021, 8:20 a.m.

I've never lived somewhere that had a local MTB company in the area. One of the reasons I gave Knolly a shot a few years ago was that it was a local-ish brand to me. The Endo/Warden we owned were great bikes at the time. I do feel some local loyalty to at least consider riding a Forbidden bike. I haven't felt the urge to go high pivot, but I am not, in principle, opposed to it. I was chatting with the fine folks at Black's Cycle and said I'd like to demo one if they had a Druid in my size come springtime.

Given how much I am riding FS bikes I can't justify two so that would mean swapping parts over from my GG [not selling that frame!] so it'll be a high stoke bar the demo would need to exceed, but I figure the least I can do is swing a leg over one of these machines and give it a shot.

Last edited by: Vikb on Dec. 23, 2021, 8:24 a.m., edited 1 time in total.