Short travel 29'ers

Nov. 26, 2020, 9:59 p.m.

So I googled Raaw Jibb...this came up....

...www.pinkbike.com › news › changing-seasons-feat-ma... 

Must Watch: Changing Seasons with Mark Matthews - RAW 

13 hours ago — Feast your eyes and ears on this incredible raw video from Mark ... a press release with more information about the new short travel Jibb frame.

Click and you get some guy on a Marin? maybe I blind?

Nov. 27, 2020, 5 a.m.

Posted by: tungsten

Click and you get some guy on a Marin? maybe I blind?

It has not been officially released yet.

Jan. 15, 2021, 9:07 p.m.

I'm, dredging this one up...

After a while rolling increasingly bigger bigger bikes, I've been on a Devinci Spartan 29er.  I've really enjoyed it - it's a great bike, and one of the more versatile of the long travel 29ers. I run it coil both ends and that seems to have unleashed it.

Anyway, I'm considering downsizing to a shorter travel frame. Partly due to a move in geography, partly due to curiosity. High pivot tempts me. The two that keep coming back for me are the Forbidden and the Knolly Fugitive LT. I'd like to run a coil, and either seems suited.

The recent Knolly Warden review was positive but somehow fell flat in my reading - what are people's perspectives on the Fugitive LT? Anyone rocking a coil in one? The Druid seems really tempting, it's just so well resolved from a design perspective. 

What are people's thoughts on these two?

Jan. 15, 2021, 11:27 p.m.

Posted by: Heinous

After a while rolling increasingly bigger bigger bikes, I've been on a Devinci Spartan 29er. I've really enjoyed it - it's a great bike, and one of the more versatile of the long travel 29ers. I run it coil both ends and that seems to have unleashed it.

Anyway, I'm considering downsizing to a shorter travel frame. Partly due to a move in geography, partly due to curiosity. High pivot tempts me. The two that keep coming back for me are the Forbidden and the Knolly Fugitive LT. I'd like to run a coil, and either seems suited.

The recent Knolly Warden review was positive but somehow fell flat in my reading - what are people's perspectives on the Fugitive LT? Anyone rocking a coil in one? The Druid seems really tempting, it's just so well resolved from a design perspective.

Got to test a Fugitive out for a week in the fall, knolly has a demo program, and it was fun. Definitely not a bruiser but a very stable descender and traction for days.

Last edited by: rnayel on Jan. 16, 2021, 10:58 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 16, 2021, 9:29 a.m.

Posted by: rnayel

After a while rolling increasingly bigger bigger bikes, I've been on a Devinci Spartan 29er.  I've really enjoyed it - it's a great bike, and one of the more versatile of the long travel 29ers. I run it coil both ends and that seems to have unleashed it.

Got to test a Fugitive lt out for a week in the fall, knolly has a demo program, and it was fun. Definitely not a bruiser but a very stable descender and traction for days.

That's a good description of the fugitive. It's a fast, nimble bike that climbs well and handles shore gnar just fine. Warden is a bit burlier. I haven't ridden the Druid, but it sounds like a great bike as well.

Jan. 16, 2021, 10:29 a.m.

Posted by: Hepcat

Raaw sent out an email this morning announcing their upcoming short travel rig, the Jibb.

Boy I'd like to get my hands on one of those. Wonder if we'll have to wait till June like the V2...

Btw, Raaw just posted up a small batch of XL V2's on their site if anyone gigantic here has been waiting.

of which year ?

Jan. 16, 2021, 10:50 a.m.

Posted by: XXX_er

Raaw sent out an email this morning announcing their upcoming short travel rig, the Jibb.

Boy I'd like to get my hands on one of those. Wonder if we'll have to wait till June like the V2...

Btw, Raaw just posted up a small batch of XL V2's on their site if anyone gigantic here has been waiting.

of which year ?

😅

V2 restocking was pushed back from Spring to June. Jibb is "early this year". For now.

Raaw email: "We will expand the RAAW line-up in early 2021 with a brand-new bike. We don't want to give away too much at this point, but you can look forward to a model with less travel and a playful character. It's still full of Madonna DNA, so you can continue to look for lines instead of excuses in the bike park.

There will be no reservations or waiting list for the new Jibb (oops, did we say Jibb?), but we will of course let you know as soon as the bike goes online."

Jan. 16, 2021, 11:06 a.m.

Definitely keen to see Raaw's new bike, if it can actually be purchased.

Jan. 16, 2021, 11:55 a.m.

given the shipping crisis with shortages of seacans, the airline crisis which probably also means an airfreight crisis, the shortgaes of parts , long lead times on everything if you are selling it all  to buy one of these you gots to ask yerself one question, do i feel lucky?  well do ya punk ?

Jan. 16, 2021, 6:06 p.m.

I moved from a process153 with a coil to fugitiveLT as it was time to upgrade my bike and I was also curious to see if a smaller travel 29er would do the job in a more interesting manner. Then my friend moved from a YT Capra to an Evil Offering and never looked back which sealed the deal. I'm not riding anything differently here, I would probably have to have a little think about where I would ride it in Whistler Bike Park as I think it wouldn't be as fun on say, Crank it Up or Frieght Train. But it's a ground hugging speed missile nevertheless, very very stiff chassis which makes for instant responsiveness and climbs much more enjoyably.

I'm about to swap in a coil to my Fugitive LT - it's not that I don't like the DPX2 but it feels a little dead/damped even though the general suspension duties are being handled ok -  and I don't like the way that it handles repeated square edge drops like the last sections of pipeline or lower oilcan. I'm cautiously optimistic but the choice of coil is a tough one as 185x55 is a rare size.

Jan. 16, 2021, 10:40 p.m.

Personally I'd go knolly but I think those two bikes choose for you. I dont ever want a little pulley and a complicated  chain tensioner to be part of my drivetrain. I have a hard enough time keeping my drivetrains given my 230 lbs. Those parts would be noisy and wear out too fast. The druid would be out before we even started for that reason.

My knolly is such a well balanced and high quality bike. I wouldnt hesitate to buy another. I'm always wary of first editions - especially from a company thats never produced a bike before. Knolly doesn't have any new gimmicks but they work well and I know what I'm getting. The druid has great reviews but I'm not really sure if there are any specific problems owners are running into. If you don't mind the funky drivetrain and you want something new and cutting edge, the forbidden is obvious. If you are like me, and are not really enthralled with the "latest desgn" but rather want something tested, tried and true - knolly is your bike.

Jan. 18, 2021, 8:14 p.m.

Posted by: XXX_er

of which year ?

😅

V2 restocking was pushed back from Spring to June. Jibb is "early this year". For now.

Raaw email: "We will expand the RAAW line-up in early 2021 with a brand-new bike. We don't want to give away too much at this point, but you can look forward to a model with less travel and a playful character. It's still full of Madonna DNA, so you can continue to look for lines instead of excuses in the bike park.

There will be no reservations or waiting list for the new Jibb (oops, did we say Jibb?), but we will of course let you know as soon as the bike goes online."

One of the guys at District Bikes in Loops has a V2 on the way. It,s his 2nd one , 1st one got lost in shipping. I toyed with ordering a V2 but ended up with a Marin.

Jan. 19, 2021, 2:40 p.m.

Ripley AF released today

https://nsmb.com/articles/ripley-af-has-landed/

65.5 HTA, 1 degree slacker than the carbon, with a 130 fork. 

With a 140 fork seems this would be a pretty legit north shore machine. 

I am on a ripmo AF that I find just a tad overkill sometimes for my riding style. Can't say I'm not a little tempted. Buy an air spring for the lyrik and a shock, swap everything over....

Feb. 18, 2021, 9:40 a.m.

Raaw's new short travel's out. 135mm travel. 470 reach L. 445mm stays (adjustable to 440mm). 65.5 HA. 

https://raawmtb.com/

https://youtu.be/kqYoErub9ro

https://youtu.be/uezZwW9IyN8

Feb. 18, 2021, 9:21 p.m.

Nice looking bike . 10wks for the frame is the lead time.