Short travel 29'ers

June 24, 2020, 3:38 p.m.

Posted by: Vikb

Posted by: DemonMike

26lbs!!! Too light for my style of riding. I think my bike is around 33/34lbs . All aluminum , coil shock , DH tires, Fox36. Be a great bike for those long climbing rides. Sadly I don,t do those right now. Maybe in the future.

Ya I'd shoot for ~28lbs with more robust suspension. If a bike gets too light I find it gets deflected off line too easily not to mention being fragile.

Exactly!!

June 24, 2020, 5:46 p.m.

26lbs!!! Too light for my style of riding. I think my bike is around 33/34lbs . All aluminum , coil shock , DH tires, Fox36. Be a great bike for those long climbing rides. Sadly I don,t do those right now. Maybe in the future.

Fox 36, Lyrik not being available in short travel is a big limiting factor of the short travel 29 category imo. The modern geo let's you push them hard enough that the skinny forks can get overwhelmed.

An 130mm Lyrik would be amazing on a short travel rig. Wonder how hard it would be to saw off an airshaft...

June 24, 2020, 6:04 p.m.

Posted by: Hepcat

Fox 36, Lyrik not being available in short travel is a big limiting factor of the short travel 29 category imo. The modern geo let's you push them hard enough that the skinny forks can get overwhelmed.

An 130mm Lyrik would be amazing on a short travel rig. Wonder how hard it would be to saw off an airshaft...

Mine is a 2016 model. It has the travel adjust option. I run it at 150mm .

June 25, 2020, 5:23 a.m.

Just had a look and I can get the Lyrik as a 29er 150mm fork and there is a 140mm airshaft available. You can buy the Yari as a 29er 140mm fork. Not great damper, but it's cheap and will take an Avy aftermarket damper or other damper for higher performance. I like 20mm over-forking so that could be fine for a 140/120mm 29er.

MRP Ribbon 29er fork can be internally adjusted anywhere between 140-160mm. No parts required. Just drop the lowers.

I'm not as familiar with FOX forks or other brands. I think Andrew runs a short travel 120mm Helm on his Waltworks V2 though.

Anyways if 140mm is short enough fork travel seems like there are options for a 29er.

Last edited by: Vikb on June 25, 2020, 5:43 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
June 25, 2020, 9:58 a.m.

The DVO Diamond can be adjusted with travel spacers as well to 140mm officially, but nothing to stop you from going down to 130 or even 120. I will say the Diamond is a better fork at 160 than 140 based on my experience, with that coil like beginning 2" of travel becoming significantly less notable at 140.

June 25, 2020, 11:35 a.m.

People still weigh their bikes? LOL 😂 a Michelin Wild Enduro 29 is ~1200gs. 

My bikes weight is its weight. I can do one of two things: ride it as is and become fitter and stronger. Or work more to afford lighter parts which results in less riding ¯\(ツ)/¯ 

I’ll run the best suspension, brakes and tyres I can afford or is available to myself. Everything else is superficial 

That vital review had some good info in the comments.

June 25, 2020, 3:05 p.m.

Posted by: Heinous

Knolly Fugitive really excites me.

I have been riding a Fugitive LT since February and really like it. It's my first 29er and I was worried it wouldn't be very agile.  I have to say I am suprised at how good it feels in this regard, and how well it handles low speed jank.

June 25, 2020, 3:48 p.m.

Posted by: Endur-Bro

My bikes weight is its weight. I can do one of two things: ride it as is and become fitter and stronger. Or work more to afford lighter parts which results in less riding ¯_(ツ)_/¯

This

June 25, 2020, 8:53 p.m.

Posted by: DanL

Posted by: Endur-Bro

My bikes weight is its weight. I can do one of two things: ride it as is and become fitter and stronger. Or work more to afford lighter parts which results in less riding ¯(ツ)/¯

This

Hmmmm. My bikes wieght is its weight AND I have to work more to afford lighter parts for my wife's bike that's weight is NOT its weight.

I got screwed.

June 26, 2020, 12:04 p.m.

^literally and figuratively. ;)

June 26, 2020, 8:28 p.m.

Posted by: skooks

Posted by: Heinous

Knolly Fugitive really excites me.

I have been riding a Fugitive LT since February and really like it. It's my first 29er and I was worried it wouldn't be very agile.  I have to say I am suprised at how good it feels in this regard, and how well it handles low speed jank.

When I spoke to Knolly they hadn't had any of the new DHX2's through so weren't recommending them for the Fugitive. I have a feeling that bike  would be awesome with a capable coil in it, especially with some of the new options running hydraulic bottom out / ramp up. A raw builder edition just keeps whispering to me.

June 27, 2020, 7:17 a.m.

Banshee Phantom V3 is a very intriguing bike as well. The new phantom and prime came out the week after I bought my Ripmo AF. Not sure it would have changed my decision, but I definitely feel curious about both of those bikes. No practical way to demo them though, I don't think. :-/

June 27, 2020, 10:53 a.m.

Wonder who their Vancouver or even North American distributor is now? Back in the day I think it was Orange in North Van. You could buy them some doughnuts and they'd let you upstairs to peruse through the latest collection. It was peace of mind for warranty having a distributor available like that too.

June 27, 2020, 6:29 p.m.

Posted by: Hepcat

Wonder who their Vancouver or even North American distributor is now? Back in the day I think it was Orange in North Van. You could buy them some doughnuts and they'd let you upstairs to peruse through the latest collection. It was peace of mind for warranty having a distributor available like that too.

I think any dealer can do a 1 bike order. I chatted with them when they started dropping the new designs.

June 27, 2020, 8:21 p.m.

Im running a fugitive in the 120mm travel setting with a cane creek db coil, and can confirm the bike is very capable. 

That being said I'm in the "a bike weighs what a bike weighs" camp - I'm on a coil fork too so it's definitely not as light as it could be but it's a blast to ride and that's what really matters to me.