Shore Tires

June 18, 2005, 9:47 a.m.

Ok so I am likely getting a new pair of Maxxis Highrollers for my bike today or tommorow. I am mainly using them for shore, and during the months when riding on the shore is best, I will switch the tires during the winter with my pair of unwearoutible Maxxis Holy Rollers. Anyhow I was wonder weather I should get a 2.5 in the front and then a 2.35 in the back or two 2.5, or two 2.35? WHat do you guys recommend?

Ride

June 18, 2005, 10:09 a.m.

dual 2.5 slow reezay or super tacky front minions. Run a front in the back it works awsome, itll give you amazing cornering performance

June 18, 2005, 12:30 p.m.

Yea, get minions instead of highrollers. Highrollers don't hook up well at all.

I'd go with 2.5's on both ends, 2.35 is just a little too narrow for shore style stuff I think. For me anyways.

http://www.cyberetrothreads.com

ya fuck you windows. fuck you too door.

June 21, 2005, 4:36 p.m.

i would suggest some vee rubber stouts. good tread and stiff sidewalls. i got mine for 20 bucks each

Stouts suck, i have them and they dont work too good, and are heavy. And $20 is a ripoff, I get mine for $10 each. I just use them because im poor.

Kenda Nevegals or Maxxis Minions are the way too go, I've also heard good things about Michelins.

June 21, 2005, 4:43 p.m.

Highrollers aren't the best choice for shore. As other have said the Minions are a much better tire. I run 2.5" fronts (super tacky and slow reezay) front and rear and they're awesome. They're great tires for whistler. Great cornering and predictable drifting at speed. They roll decently well and aren't too heavy. They also seem very good at resisting pinchflats considering they're a mid-weight tire.

Another option is Michelin. If you can get over the weight and the fact that it rolls like a tractor tire the Comp 32 has my far the most grip out of any tire I'vde tried. In slick, steep, slow speed shore conditions it is unbeatable IMO. Too bad it doesn't fit in my current fork.

June 21, 2005, 8:29 p.m.

i would suggest some vee rubber stouts. good tread and stiff sidewalls. i got mine for 20 bucks each.

:lol: You must be joking right?

For me, I really liked the Kenda Nevagals. 2.5 front and rear.

Sober

June 21, 2005, 9:32 p.m.

i would suggest some vee rubber stouts. good tread and stiff sidewalls. i got mine for 20 bucks each.

i usualy dont care about what biek parts weigh,but those are the heaviet tires i have ever felt

June 21, 2005, 9:41 p.m.

Sorry..

Just the way this post is worded for some reason has me laughing so hard :lol:

The michelins are my favorite. Followed by the kendas.

June 21, 2005, 9:56 p.m.

IF you want a sweet set of tires go for the Bontrager Big Earls. I've used the Highrollers and the Minions and have to say these tires so far feel just as great if not better than the Minions. Heres the great part they cost almost half the price of the Maxxis brand and rumour is that the same chap that did the Minions is under the development of the Big Earls. The dual compound is 50/42(Middle tread/Outer edge). If you can, go for the 2.6 as they have a deeper tread.

The Michelins are great but they wear out way too soon, as we all no, nobody likes…………… Pre-Mature Situations………

June 21, 2005, 10:11 p.m.

Michelins last a long time. Maybe I just dont ride hard enough. But my set has several hundred km's on them and still have 50% tread..

June 21, 2005, 10:27 p.m.

Minions are ok at best. The rear version has virtually no straight-line braking. Their cornering ability is alright, but nothing special. High Rollers are much worse all around.

In the wet and mud (not hard pack), Michelin Comp 16 front and rear if you want your tires to bite into the ground. They lick nuts in hard pack conditions because the side knobs tend to roll over. The Comp 24 is a good rear tire as is offers reliable braking traction, cornering ability and generally good grip in all conditions. The Comp 32 ain't a good "Shore" tire! This was only meant for big rocks and harder terrain. As soon as you hit mud, you'll see how much that tire floats and doesn't bite (the knobs are too big for mud). Stay clear of that one.