shop rant

April 29, 2007, 9:19 p.m.

We had a guy come into our shop with the excact same bike and problem. Among others, the issues were:

-that cross-ride wheel seemed a little pinner for anyone jumping that bike.

-rebuilding that existing hub essentially would require to to order the exact same replacement rim from mavic (as the spokes have a proprietary head), which is expensive and would put you right back at the place you were; with too light for a wheel for your use.

-the price you paid for that replacement wheel actually seems reasonable to me.

intelligent designer jeans
cornichons > dills

April 29, 2007, 9:34 p.m.

The price seems reasonable. Why wouldn't you ask what the price was going to be beforehand?

April 29, 2007, 11:52 p.m.

hello hello hello….jim jim jimmy awesome ome ome where where are you you you????

Haven't heard word boo from the starter, just a flame and no answers, whatupwidat?

"i surf because, i"m always a better person when i come in"-Andy Irons

April 30, 2007, 12:02 a.m.

I have to agree that the Novatech hubs are really good.
I've been specing them for 3 years now and haven't heard of any problems. Sure they don't have a strong brand name like Chris King, WTB or one of them but that doesn't mean they're not good.

One day people will learn that front hubs don't have much in them and are hard to screw up, and that brand name isn't always everything.

April 30, 2007, 10:56 a.m.

I hate Cove everyone in that shop thinks that they are gods gift to MTB. Way too much tude in that shop for me. Not trying to sway any one away from there shop buy I have found that Bikes on the drive on Com to be sweet for all my comuter bike needs. Steed is a good shop, BSP is a good shop for Dr bikes. I shop at On Top for all my XC and FR stuff and they are supper nice easy to answer any question. Just a supper chill bunch of dudes who love to ride.

I'm sure they "HATE" you too.:nono:

April 30, 2007, 9:50 p.m.

I hate Cove everyone in that shop thinks that they are gods gift to MTB. Way too much tude in that shop for me. Not trying to sway any one away from there shop buy I have found that Bikes on the drive on Com to be sweet for all my comuter bike needs. Steed is a good shop, BSP is a good shop for Dr bikes. I shop at On Top for all my XC and FR stuff and they are supper nice easy to answer any question. Just a supper chill bunch of dudes who love to ride.

I work for Cove and I don't think I'm God's gift? Althou I just cleaned the CBC without my training wheels this week.. so maybe I'll have to adjust my "tude"…

May 1, 2007, 3:49 a.m.

I bought a RM Slayer 5.0 in the fall from Simon's Bike Shop. I taco'd the front wheel this past week. I looked online at new wheelsets - ryhno lite with deore hub - cheap but sturdy. 99$ plus shipping which is for a machine built wheel ordered from Jenson USA or something like that. I have contacts that enable pickup on the US side of the boarder etc so overall it would have been pretty easy to execute.

You could get the wheel for less than that at the sports swap store in Port Moody (Sports Junkies?).

A month ago my brother bought a decent wheelset for $150 from Overtime. For $200 to $250, they had quite a few more decent options in wheelsets.

Shop around.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

May 1, 2007, 11:43 a.m.

Well manners go a long way you know. But seriously speaking I don't judge a bikeshop by one rude employee.

I too thought that of the Cove on my first visit 3 years ago. However now its a different matter. I get great service, good prices on quality gear, and the owner shuttles my lazy ass up the mtn for free on a regular basis.

The guys at Cove are really nice people. They are all knowledgeable, and all ride too..

I work for Cove and I don't think I'm God's gift? Althou I just cleaned the CBC without my training wheels this week.. so maybe I'll have to adjust my "tude"…

So you work for them and you get good service. :coo:

May 1, 2007, 1:46 p.m.

A month ago my brother bought a decent wheelset for $150 from Overtime. For $200 to $250, they had quite a few more decent options in wheelsets.

Shop around.

2nd that, I bought a handbuilt wheelset at Overtime in February, XT hubs on Welded Singletracks, 200 bucks tax in.

May 1, 2007, 4:10 p.m.

One day people will learn that front hubs don't have much in them and are hard to screw up, and that brand name isn't always everything.

OFF TOPIC-

I love my "rocky mountain" (what the hell kind is it anyways?)front hub…..had it fer 4 solid years and it`s going great!…..sure, not as great as my CK rear, a slightly lesser great, but great non-the less.

04 RMX Team with05 Boxxer WCs …..say hi

stop repn me…i dont deserve it, its true, im a phoney…a big phat phoney!
so what….big woop….wanna fight about it?!

I like to race………does that make me a racist ? :banned:

May 1, 2007, 4:56 p.m.

I read this thread and learned a few things. Some people are really dumb and I won't bother reading their posts any more and Novatech hubs are inexpensive but good.

May 1, 2007, 5:09 p.m.

So you work for them and you get good service. :coo:

Well it depends on which personality I'm using that day…. But I'm not schizophrenic I just hear voices in my head.

May 1, 2007, 11:19 p.m.

2nd that, I bought a handbuilt wheelset at Overtime in February, XT hubs on Welded Singletracks, 200 bucks tax in.

last year i got a Syncros for $200 from Overtime , it's still going strong :)

WhistlerActionCams.com

May 2, 2007, 7:42 a.m.

I have to agree that the Novatech hubs are really good.
I've been specing them for 3 years now and haven't heard of any problems. Sure they don't have a strong brand name like Chris King, WTB or one of them but that doesn't mean they're not good.
I don't think you got ripped off, but in terms of lessons learned this was a cheap one.

yep!

I learned an interesting thing at the end of last season. A friend of mine took apart both of his rear hubs - w00dman bill extreme and the novatech. All new internals went into the novatech…the internals are an identical match and each part can be swapped to stay functional.

Not the lightest hubs on the market, but despite the odd amount of rims/spokes he has gone through, the hub is still working perfectly.

I totally agree, the novatech hub is a keeper.

dear DW,
since you got like a million bucks now, can i borrow $2850 for a Revolt frame?

thanks,
steve

May 2, 2007, 6:43 p.m.

I learned an interesting thing at the end of last season. A friend of mine took apart both of his rear hubs - w00dman bill extreme and the novatech. All new internals went into the novatech…the internals are an identical match and each part can be swapped to stay functional.

Novatec (Joy Industrial) makes hubs a few different brands. Axiom/Nashbar SS hubs (also great hubs) are also made by them.