Shop Hours WTF

March 27, 2010, 12:50 p.m.

UFO, spot on bud.

I think the point some seem to be missing here is that said product isn't going to just sit there. Someone else will likely buy it at the marked price. Don't act like you're doing the shop a favour by "letting" them sell it to you at a discount.

Well, that is a call that only the owner can make, but generally speaking, stale and slow moving inventory should be cleared out asap to make space for new and better moving inventory. To do well, the owner has to balance everything and this includes purchasing (or hiring a good purchasing manager) and predicting which products will sell with the highest margins.

That said I do feel like it is a give and take relationship, the shop is doing me a favor for considering to give me a discount and I am doing them a favor for considering to buy their product. All sticker prices are simply invitation to buy the product. Bottom line, this is a competitive business with shops like Starbucks locations in Vancouver. And contrary to what the so called "experts" on here may think or claim, if my business was so darn bad for the shop, the owner would not treat me as a VIP, so I am guessing that those $2k (estimate) a year really does a lot of good for his bottom line (whatever the margins etc). Like I said before, this thread really made me appreciate my LBS that much more, I can only imagine the body-language message that someone like L. Ron Hubbard would have sent to that aforementioned "dentist" while trying to remain polite wow.

March 27, 2010, 1:04 p.m.

Those aren't the only options on good products. So are you saying that people only "deserve" deals on things that aren't selling well?

Buddy, "deserve" implies that people have an expectation and the feeling of "entitlement". I don't think any of us here are talking about that. Just like no shop (not a single one in the world) is entitled to my business, in much the same way I am not entitled to any discounts.

The discussion is mainly about whether the owner/sales person should get all huffy and puffy like you seem to do if a potential customer asks for a discount.

March 27, 2010, 6:23 p.m.

I have officially lost track of what anyone is trying to say here.

Me. Car/Web Work. Twitter. FFFFound.

March 27, 2010, 7:21 p.m.

I have officially lost track of what anyone is trying to say here.

trying to make money on hard goods, when there is no value-add is a lost cause.

Posted via Mobile Device

Is there a Vancouver in Taiwan?! I had no idea!!

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.

March 27, 2010, 7:30 p.m.

The biggest thing I've had to come to term with when buying things (anything) is
the amount of tax I have to pay…holy shit! Hawaii has a 4.166% tax, that's it. I've
been running into issues rebuilding this boat for my wifes uncle and my estimates
are out by 10% or so. Not too big on a $100, but starts to add up over $2000.00.
At least he's good natured about it.

This has nothing to do with this thread at all, just thought I'd throw that out there.

"i surf because, i"m always a better person when i come in"-Andy Irons

March 27, 2010, 8:54 p.m.

… I am doing them a favor for considering to buy their product…

rofl. You are so righteous…

I wish you actually talked like this at whatever LBS you shopped at…

Even better I should try that as a new sales approach…

To customer: Hey if I give you 15% of this (insert cool new part) can you do me a favour and buy it from me?

Customer: Sure why not… but you owe me next time…

 Flickr Click Here

March 27, 2010, 10:31 p.m.

rofl. You are so owe me next time…

I think we should all take other people's posts out of context and misinterpret them.

March 27, 2010, 11:03 p.m.

The biggest thing I've had to come to term with when buying things (anything) is
the amount of tax I have to pay…holy shit! Hawaii has a 4.166% tax, that's it. I've
been running into issues rebuilding this boat for my wifes uncle and my estimates
are out by 10% or so. Not too big on a $100, but starts to add up over $2000.00.
At least he's good natured about it.

This has nothing to do with this thread at all, just thought I'd throw that out there.

Better buy stuff before the summer.

March 27, 2010, 11:04 p.m.

trying to make money on hard goods, when there is no value-add is a lost cause.

Posted via Mobile Device

Yep. This thread makes me think I need to be more blatant about when there is value-adding going on… Not sure how I feel about that.

March 28, 2010, 5:35 a.m.

I think we should all take other people's posts out of context and misinterpret them.

I didn't retype anything you wrote like you just did for me…

Also where I started and ended your quote doesn't change the fact that you wrote that you feel you are doing the shop a favour by considering to buy their product…

If I'm misinterpreting your post then maybe you should be more clear in what you write…

Bolded for ease of viewing..

Well, that is a call that only the owner can make, but generally speaking, stale and slow moving inventory should be cleared out asap to make space for new and better moving inventory. To do well, the owner has to balance everything and this includes purchasing (or hiring a good purchasing manager) and predicting which products will sell with the highest margins.

That said I do feel like it is a give and take relationship, the shop is doing me a favor for considering to give me a discount and I am doing them a favor for considering to buy their product. All sticker prices are simply invitation to buy the product. Bottom line, this is a competitive business with shops like Starbucks locations in Vancouver. And contrary to what the so called "experts" on here may think or claim, if my business was so darn bad for the shop, the owner would not treat me as a VIP, so I am guessing that those $2k (estimate) a year really does a lot of good for his bottom line (whatever the margins etc). Like I said before, this thread really made me appreciate my LBS that much more, I can only imagine the body-language message that someone like L. Ron Hubbard would have sent to that aforementioned "dentist" while trying to remain polite wow.

 Flickr Click Here

March 28, 2010, 9:45 a.m.

…All sticker prices are simply invitation to buy the product….

So you want Canada to be more like Tijuana, Bali or Manila?

"i surf because, i"m always a better person when i come in"-Andy Irons