Shop Hours WTF

March 24, 2010, 7:35 p.m.

You actually asked for a price hook up on socks and a video? Do you haggle for you milk at the grocery store? Asking for bro pricing is lame.

Yes, I asked is there was good guy pricing on the items. I do this at lots of places and you'd be surprised how many people are quick and happy to give you a discount. If not, then fine, no problem. I never asked for a business to not make money. My issue was the attitude with which the response was given. Basically, how can I become a "good customer" when the response comes with a sneer. For what its worth, this is the only time that I've received a negative response from any business.

March 24, 2010, 7:54 p.m.

Why would you ask for a discount on $45 dollars worth of goods from a bike shop in the first place?? I don't think that the first shop's response was a bad one. I think it's pretty chintzy to ask for a "good guy price" for something that cheap when the staff don't know you from a hole in the ground. Esp. if you can easily afford to buy them at the regular price.

your exactly right and i'm ok with their response. The reason why i asked for a deal was i thought $40 for a video was too expensive…it's my right to ask for a deal, it's their right to turn it down. I pretty much buy all MTB videos so $40 for each one starts to add up. If i have a hundred vids and got a $5 discount on each one…..it adds up.

My point is, that since there was a shop who decided to give me some honest pricing, they have since gotten a huge chunk of business from me. I can't buy anything with out giving them a call first. By them taking a chance on me i've personally brought them thousand of dollars worth of business. The people that i've brought to them have likely brought others.

I may be thrifty when buying stuff, but i likely spend more then the average joe. I never(ok maybe once or twice) ask shops to price match, but i will ask for honest pricing, if they don't thats fine. There is likely about 4 shops that get most of my business and i in turn try to get them more business.

March 24, 2010, 7:57 p.m.

In my opinion, the customer should 'earn' that discount in one form or another. I mean, the price on the label is the price. Maybe they should just sell everything at cost and become non-profit. This is their livelyhood, I feel that should earn that much respect in itself.

Why does one customer deserve a discount over the hundreds of others asking for it?

Believe me when I say this, bike shop owners want loyalty from customers. They don't want random people asking for discounts then never returning again, or going down the street to price compare for the best deal. You treat them with that amount of respect and chances are it will be returned. I know this from experience, and I haven't paid retail in about 12-13 years.

P.S. That's not pointed at anyone in this thread, its just a general statement.

March 24, 2010, 8:08 p.m.

Why does one customer deserve a discount over the hundreds of others asking for it?.

This is why i LOVE Overtime, everybody gets the same price, it's labeled on the product and there is no room for bargaining…..great thing is the price is less then everybody else

Believe me when I say this, bike shop owners want loyalty from customers. They don't want random people asking for discounts then never returning again, or going down the street to price compare for the best deal. You treat them with that amount of respect and chances are it will be returned. I know this from experience, and I haven't paid retail in about 12-13 years.

P.S. That's not pointed at anyone in this thread, its just a general statement.

Personally, I don't believe in price matching. If a shop gives me a price, i don't go to another shop and demand or even ask that they price match. I only ask for honest pricing.

When people get quotes for stuff, do they just go for the first quote and leave it at that?

March 24, 2010, 8:08 p.m.

Sig!

When I had the misfortune of working in a bike shop, I would give random deals to those who didn't walk in with a sense of entitlement and attitude and treated us with respect. Those guys were "bros" from the first visit. You know the guys… the ones who are humble who don't expect you to drop what you're doing and appreciate the effort you put in to help them out. Its hard to want to keep around a douche bag as a repeat customer even if he spends a bunch of cash.

When I helped at Simon's on Robson we had about 4 customers, great guy's. Would come by frequently most of the time needing nothing. Just to say hi. Always brought a coffee for the mechanics- never needed anything in return. Never asked.

But if it was a rush, always got it dealt with.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

March 24, 2010, 8:13 p.m.

Why is there an issue about asking for a discount? If I walk in and see a jersey that I like and I wouldn't mind having it but just not for say $120, I don't know the markup, so I ask "hey, you know I like that jersey but just can't see myself spending $120 on it, is there anything you can do about the price?" A good shop will be polite and tell you an honest answer politely. Since 2003 I've been dealing with the same shop, rarely do I buy items at other shops. It all started with a pleasant and a polite conversation about pricing on a low-end (my first) bike. Now, my wife screams at me how much I've spent on bikes and gear. The shop owner is quite happy.

I think it depends on the attitude, if you come in expecting that everyone will band over backwards to give you a discount - then that's one thing, but if you are polite and honest - that's another.

March 24, 2010, 8:14 p.m.

In my opinion, the customer should 'earn' that discount in one form or another. I mean, the price on the label is the price.

And this brings us back to how this whole tangent started… some places don't waiver on the price, for eg. Overtime and Toyota for a non-mtb example. The benefit of this pricing policy is that no matter who you are, you are not wondering if someone else got a better price than you.

March 24, 2010, 8:24 p.m.

All this BS and back scratching rimjobbing is why I do all my own work myself in my garage, with the exception of wheelbuilds and shock service. And with the dollar at close to par online sales are where its at. Shop from the comfort of home, shits delivered to your door or my US PO box. Cant beat it. And as for me supposed to feel guilty about not supporting my LBS? Sorry but meh… free market.

March 24, 2010, 8:25 p.m.

This is why i LOVE Overtime, everybody gets the same price, it's labeled on the product and there is no room for bargaining…..great thing is the price is less then everybody else

I like that idea. Its sure nicer for the staff to know there's no room for moving on prices.

Maybe its just me, but I feel too embarrassed asking for discounts. If I see something I really want, I'll pay for it. Saving a few bucks doesn't matter to me as long as I can see the product in person and buy it.

My oldest friend in the world opened a skatepark recently and I try to buy stuff from him, and I will only do so at full pop so I can support his business. I sure don't like taking big discounts from the small guys unless its offered.

I just operate differently. I will always set out an agreement with the shop owner to either wear their colours or directly get customers into their shop in return for a regular set discount.

I've done that with moto shops and manufacturers as well. I received free product from several companies in the promise to promote that product and help sell X number of units. The last time I did that I sold 12 units to staff members by me showing them how good the product is.

Being cheap know no bounds.

March 24, 2010, 8:26 p.m.

Why is there an issue about asking for a discount? If I walk in and see a jersey that I like and I wouldn't mind having it but just not for say $120, I don't know the markup, so I ask "hey, you know I like that jersey but just can't see myself spending $120 on it, is there anything you can do about the price?" A good shop will be polite and tell you an honest answer politely. Since 2003 I've been dealing with the same shop, rarely do I buy items at other shops. It all started with a pleasant and a polite conversation about pricing on a low-end (my first) bike. Now, my wife screams at me how much I've spent on bikes and gear. The shop owner is quite happy.

I think it depends on the attitude, if you come in expecting that everyone will band over backwards to give you a discount - then that's one thing, but if you are polite and honest - that's another.

Yes, I agree.

March 24, 2010, 9:14 p.m.

I never ask for discounts and I'm always pleasantly surprised. I'm also pretty loyal. I would be too embarrassed to ask and I never seem to have to.

vegetarian: an ancient word for "likes to stay home with the ladies…"

March 24, 2010, 9:19 p.m.

I should open up a shop and mark up everything 30% then give all you fux 20% off so you think your heros.

:lol:

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

March 24, 2010, 9:35 p.m.

your exactly right and i'm ok with their response. The reason why i asked for a deal was i thought $40 for a video was too expensive…it's my right to ask for a deal, it's their right to turn it down. I pretty much buy all MTB videos so $40 for each one starts to add up. If i have a hundred vids and got a $5 discount on each one…..it adds up.

My point is, that since there was a shop who decided to give me some honest pricing, they have since gotten a huge chunk of business from me. I can't buy anything with out giving them a call first. By them taking a chance on me i've personally brought them thousand of dollars worth of business. The people that i've brought to them have likely brought others.

I may be thrifty when buying stuff, but i likely spend more then the average joe. I never(ok maybe once or twice) ask shops to price match, but i will ask for honest pricing, if they don't thats fine. There is likely about 4 shops that get most of my business and i in turn try to get them more business.

As a new shop owner, I'm curious to know what your idea of honest pricing is.

Also, I'm curious to know what the margin was on the thousands of dollars of product you have bought from them. That is, if it was enough to keep them afloat if they treated every customer the same.

March 24, 2010, 9:57 p.m.

As a new shop owner, I'm curious to know what your idea of honest pricing is.

Also, I'm curious to know what the margin was on the thousands of dollars of product you have bought from them. That is, if it was enough to keep them afloat if they treated every customer the same.

Good point,all i know is the shop still smiles when i come in

as said in my previous post i do not discuss my pricing with other shops….i do not agree with price matching.I agree with you selling to me at a price you can live with.

March 24, 2010, 10:14 p.m.

Good point,all i know is the shop still smiles when i come in

as said in my previous post i do not discuss my pricing with other shops….i do not agree with price matching.I agree with you selling to me at a price you can live with.

The funny thing is that I bet alot of shop owners are looking to do more than just live (a.k.a. get by). They just feel pressured knowing that the same product is 10^10000 times cheaper online. It's a rough world.

Shirk puts it best, and interestingly enough I had the same conversation with someone today. The bargaining business in cycling is an odd one.