Shop Hours WTF

March 23, 2010, 9:55 a.m.

mm. Gary is more friendly one and bill is the opposite, I do find them closing earlier than their store hours quite often, especially if it isn't busy

March 23, 2010, 10:18 a.m.

yes matt works around the working ppl that's for sure.

i've had my share of problems w/ the bike shops in the past so here's me rant and high fives.

one shop on the shore, i was there for 20 mins trying on their demo 7 and sx trail and never had an employee ask if i needed help and i was the 4th person in the store w/ more than enough employees. yet as soon as mommy and son walk in one guy walks over to see if they needed help. meanwhile i'm still standing around. second time around i was there for 10 mins while they were standing around the till deciding on what to order in for lunch. same thing no help while i sat on their bikes and tried them on for size. a year later i decided on one more try before writing them off and finally i was offered help and a test ride. unfortunately i found it hard to drop $$$ on a bike at a store where i got little service.

OT has offered to take a part off their floor bike for me once since they were out of stock so i can't say they aren't customer friendly.

nsbs has been great and matt is for sure the guy i want to support since he tries hard to please and think that was the main selling point for me. might be lip service but that's what customer service is all about….no? i'm sort of in the same business of customer service so i can relate.

BUT…….i have had a couple of "disagreements" w/ matt. nothing big ….sorry matt but i recently put the deposit down for my new bike so that means i'm allowed to slam you and take a few shots at you so that my wallet doesn't feel as light.:lol:

btw is my frame in yet or has transition told you again that "it will ship tomorrow". they know you're too soft so they are in no rush to ship it to you. that's my first bitch, that you're too nice……..which i suppose is not really a bad thing. i'm just trying to find something bad about you cause……well cause you ride so much better than i.

anyway, i still have to high five nsbs because matt does make an effort to know my name everytime and he's just all around easy going. a few times i've spent $0 in his shop but he never rushed me out and just let me chill there and shoot the shit with him. i know it's annoying to him as he's busy but it's cool to feel welcomed regardless of how much/little you're spending.

hmm maybe i should have waited till i got my bike from nsbs before posting this. loose screw here, loose pivot there…..:eek2:

March 23, 2010, 10:48 a.m.

wd40 it to hell and did some other stuff and voila. worked like a charm.

Moral of the story; learn to work on your own bike, then there is only one person who can be held accountable for what happens, and then you may understand how scary it is that a mechanic used WD40.

When will people learn that the WD stands for Water Displacement, not Lubrication.

March 23, 2010, 11:11 a.m.

When will people learn that the WD stands for Water Displacement, not Lubrication.

Actually Water Displacement 40th try. It is actually more than that. There are
lubricants and it is a very thin oil. This allows it to get into and penetrate areas
that other "oils" can't get to thus cleaning out grime, rust and other contaminants.
Would I use it to lubricate my chain or pivots or bearings?….No! But if something
is sticking and a solvent bath and lubrications doesn't work, 9/10 times WD will
come to the rescue. I wouldn't put my bike together with Duct tape, but it sure
does come in handy some times.

From their site:http://www.wd40.com/faqs/

What does WD-40 do?

WD-40 fulfills five basic functions:
1. CLEANS: WD-40 gets under dirt, grime and grease to clean. It also dissolves adhesives, allowing easy removal of labels, tape and excess bonding material.
2. DISPLACES MOISTURE: Because WD-40 displaces moisture, it quickly dries out electrical systems to eliminate moisture-induced short circuits.
3. PENETRATES: WD-40 loosens rust-to-metal bonds and frees stuck, frozen or rusted metal parts.
4. LUBRICATES: WD-40's lubricating ingredients are widely dispersed and tenaciously held to all moving parts.
5. PROTECTS: WD-40 protects metal surfaces with corrosion-resistant ingredients to shield against moisture and other corrosive elements.

"i surf because, i"m always a better person when i come in"-Andy Irons

March 23, 2010, 11:15 a.m.

Actually Water Displacement 40th try. It is actually more than that. There are
lubricants and it is a very thin oil. This allows it to get into and penetrate areas
that other "oils" can't get to thus cleaning out grime, rust and other contaminants.
Would I use it to lubricate my chain or pivots or bearings?….No! But if something
is sticking and a solvent bath and lubrications doesn't work, 9/10 times WD will
come to the rescue. I wouldn't put my bike together with Duct tape, but it sure
does come in handy some times.

From their site:http://www.wd40.com/faqs/

And how would you feel if a bike shop used it to fix your bike? I'm not denying it has uses, but there is the correct tool for every job. You can fix most things with a hammer, but that doesn't mean it's right.

March 23, 2010, 11:48 a.m.

[snip, since gtse edited his post above and gets that Matt's shop is in the right here]

If someone measured your chain and it was stretched, then regardless of your other problems it was time for a new drivetrain. There are gimmicks in some bike shops for sure ($100 fitting for your entry level commuting bike?), but chain-stretch measurement tools are not one. I'm guessing you were AT BEST a month or two away from skippy skippy skippy. Can't fault a shop for fixing the most obvious thing that was wrong. And no, the shop doesn't owe you because that didn't fix the problem: it was a problem on its own, you just didn't know it.

Second, I'm hoping you just don't know what real lube looks like and no real bike mechanic actually used WD-40 on your cable. There are about 2 uses for WD-40 in a bike shop and neither of them is your cables.

Me. Car/Web Work. Twitter. FFFFound.

March 23, 2010, 11:54 a.m.

If someone measured your chain and it was stretched, then regardless of your other problems it was time for a new drivetrain. There are gimmicks in some bike shops for sure ($100 fitting for your entry level commuting bike?), but chain-stretch measurement tools are not one. I'm guessing you were AT BEST a month or two away from skippy skippy skippy. Can't fault a shop for fixing the most obvious thing that was wrong. And no, the shop doesn't owe you because that didn't fix the problem: it was a problem on its own, you just didn't know it.

Second, I'm hoping you just don't know what real lube looks like and no real bike mechanic actually used WD-40 on your cable. There are about 2 uses for WD-40 in a bike shop and neither of them is your cables.

THIS.

March 23, 2010, 12:03 p.m.

gtse…. you are bad mouthing a bike shop owner on here whom you regularly deal with? Holy crap.

The best thing WD40 is good for is after you wash your chain with water, you spray it down with WD, wipe off, then lube. Its a petroleum based solvent, not a stand alone lubricant. You can actually use it in a pinch, as its better than nothing, but I wouldn't rely on it for general lubrication.

March 23, 2010, 12:12 p.m.

And how would you feel if a bike shop used it to fix your bike? I'm not denying it has uses, but there is the correct tool for every job. You can fix most things with a hammer, but that doesn't mean it's right.

Honestly, WD40 never touches my bike. But, if a trusted mech decided to use it do
do what I mentioned, I'd see no issue with it. I'm not poor enough yet that if my
bearings or cable get bad enough for me to start using WD to get them moving again
I'll buy a new cable or bearing.

"i surf because, i"m always a better person when i come in"-Andy Irons

March 23, 2010, 12:16 p.m.

maybe he just used the WD40 to clean something ,,
where is the Witch Hunt smily?

Don't be an engineer, every one of them I've met is socially retarded

March 23, 2010, 12:57 p.m.

gtse…. you are bad mouthing a bike shop owner on here whom you regularly deal with? Holy crap.

This.

If you feel that you are being charged for something that should be free, why not ask the guy? I've met Matt, he is a reasonable guy and earns his money. Talk to him, not here, in person :)

March 23, 2010, 1:12 p.m.

i'm not bad mouthing matt. my bad…i love the guy (not that kinda of way though). he's by far the best guy to deal with and i will be the first to admit that he has gone above and beyond to help me out with simple things. you're right though, i can't fault him for the chain thing. it was more of an inside joke thing w/ the free tees and what not.

i was typing in a rush and poking fun of him. i didn't have to time to reread it (didn't realize it was so long a post) and forgot that there's no tone in posts so it might sound harsh/bad. anyway, i reread it and changed it up. my apologies to matt and i'm not bitter or angry at all. as he'll tell you it hasn't stopped me from going all the way out to see him from richmond.

as mentioned, i love dealing with matt and know that i get the best service. it is also the reason why i went to him for my new bike even though i was leaning towards another bike that he didn't carry. i know that down the road after the purchase he'll still stand behind his shop and take care of me.

anyway, my apologies again it wasn't meant that way. i really should stop trying to participate on nsmb while at work!

March 23, 2010, 2:54 p.m.

WD40 is really useful for flushing out road and old Rapid Failure shifters and freeing front derailleurs. I bet thousands of early Rapid Fire shifters got thrown in the bin because no-one at the time thought to just spray some shit in there to clean them out.

treezz
wow you are a ass

March 23, 2010, 3:31 p.m.

WD40, fucking bath in that shit.

March 23, 2010, 4:15 p.m.

WD40, fucking shower in that shit.

fyp