Shoes for am riding?

May 31, 2011, 9:42 a.m.

I wear Nike basketball shoes. They dry out quickly and they look awesome.

May 31, 2011, 9:51 a.m.

Actually the above recommended Shimano shoes work just like that.
I have the mt-41 in white/green/black.
It came with a set of (plastic, krylon, nylon, whatever) innersole pieces which you could or couldnt put in there. So you can either get a soft or a stiff shoe.

I put in the additional stiffy pieces and would like the shoe to be even stiffer.

Right now I use them with DMR VAULT pedals. Grip is really good.
I would love something with a bit more breathability though. The MT-41 are good and though, but on warm days my feet feel like SAUNA.

Actually the DMR Vaults seem so grippy, I might just try some AM-SPD shoes from Specialized, maybe the TAHOE, which has a rubber sole anyway.

Greetings Znarf

Oh hai, Znarf. Are you sure you're talking about the MT41? I have a pair of those and they are nothing like your description. Well ventilated (too ventilated for winter) and there's no removeable pieces. Geeky hiking boot look tho. I bought them because they were cheap and fit me well (and I wasn't sure if I'd end up liking clipless or not).

Wrong. Always.

May 31, 2011, 10:01 a.m.

shimano vibram soles disintegrate extremely fast if you put them through rigorous riding.

Man, I guess I should ride harder eh?

May 31, 2011, 11:36 a.m.

nrg taster's choice, 1 year old, all pins intact.

Just replaced the pins on my V12's. Noticed more grip with fresh pins- not worn from constant use.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

May 31, 2011, 12:16 p.m.

5.10 Freeriders in summer
5.10 Carvers or Shimano AM41 in winter

I replace them every other year. The Freeriders are lower durometer rubber but they seem to last longer for some reason.

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

May 31, 2011, 12:37 p.m.

Just replaced the pins on my V12's. Noticed more grip with fresh pins- not worn from constant use.

The pins don't look too bad yet, and I'm guessing that grip won't be an issue with any of the shoes mentioned.

The lbs here doesn't have the shimanos in stock, although they do have most 5.10 models.
Is the Freerider sole as stiff as the Impacts in the long run?

May 31, 2011, 1:07 p.m.

when do you feel you'll be ready to be clipped into your pedals? For 'AM' riding it's great!

May 31, 2011, 3:36 p.m.

when do you feel you'll be ready to be clipped into your pedals? For 'AM' riding it's great!

I probably should make the switch one of these days but am apprehensive since I've always used flats. I'm finally recovered from an injury sustained at the beginning of last season, so this season I'm commited to staying healthy and I imagine that I just might hurt myself again while learning to ride clipped.

May 31, 2011, 8:07 p.m.

Is there any sizing difference between the Impacts and Freeriders?

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

May 31, 2011, 9:14 p.m.

Man, I guess I should ride harder eh?

my shimano shoes with vibram lasted all of two months before the soles were appropriate for curling

two months of riding for one could be very different for two months for someone else

a pair of 5.10's lasts me a season or so; shimano 2 months

wussup?

June 1, 2011, 7:56 a.m.

my shimano shoes with vibram lasted all of two months before the soles were appropriate for curling

two months of riding for one could be very different for two months for someone else

a pair of 5.10's lasts me a season or so; shimano 2 months

wussup?

Sample of one.

June 1, 2011, 8:42 a.m.

I know of a certain sponsored Shimano rider who only rides 5.10's when not filming. That has to tell you something.

:canada:

June 1, 2011, 9:54 a.m.

I found a pair of Shimano MP90 shoes at my lbs. They have my size and I think they look alright, but from searching online they appear to be a 2008 model but are still priced at $145 msrp. I'm sure I could get a discount, but how much I'm not sure.

I also got a coupon code in my email for 20% off at Hucknroll, which means I could snag a pair of 5.10 Impact lows for $88 shipped.

Ahh, the dilemma of supporting the lbs or going online for less $. :grinno:

June 1, 2011, 10:09 a.m.

I found a pair of Shimano MP90 shoes at my lbs. They have my size and I think they look alright, but from searching online they appear to be a 2008 model but are still priced at $145 msrp. I'm sure I could get a discount, but how much I'm not sure.

I also got a coupon code in my email for 20% off at Hucknroll, which means I could snag a pair of 5.10 Impact lows for $88 shipped.

Ahh, the dilemma of supporting the lbs or going online for less $. :grinno:

I went through 2 pairs of those in 6 months…soles on both of them cracked.

This trip to Kelowna was definately an undertaking - Liam and I had been planning this project for 24 hours. We worked really hard to pull out all the stops in this video. We had slo-mo goggle shots; time lapses; pedal flips; outrageous product shots; unloading and loading the bike; walking through the field with your hand in wheat. At the end of the day this trip was all about just getting out and riding with all my friends.

www.letsridebikes.ca

June 1, 2011, 11:31 a.m.

I know of a certain sponsored Shimano rider who only rides 5.10's when not filming. That has to tell you something.

His feet fit 5.10s better?