shoes. clipless. bc xc/trail.

Oct. 7, 2013, 9:31 p.m.

+1 for the M162. Very happy with them for a summer shoe, but have just picked up some MW81's for the winter.

Especially when you tuck them in…

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

Oct. 7, 2013, 9:45 p.m.

The Lakes mentioned above are cheap, last for years, and have Vibram soles. And don't look like kid's skateboard shoes.

Oct. 7, 2013, 9:57 p.m.

Especially when you tuck them in…

That's the look I'm after!

Oct. 8, 2013, 9:09 a.m.

The Lakes mentioned above are cheap, last for years, and have Vibram soles. And don't look like kid's skateboard shoes.

Yeah, they look like a really good shoe for the price but they're pretty heavy. If they were a bit lighter I'd swoon. Oh how I'd swoon.

Wrong. Always.

Oct. 8, 2013, 12:19 p.m.

Opinions on the MW81 winter shoes?

Do they keep the feet dry and warm? I kinda think the neoprene will just wick water into the shoe. Are they more designed for cold and sorta wet riding vs our sorta cold and really wet riding we get here in the winter.

Oct. 8, 2013, 12:21 p.m.

Interesting to hear that Lake shoes now seem to last. I've had a couple of pairs in the past that wore out/fell apart in relatively short order compared to other brands.

Oct. 8, 2013, 1:06 p.m.

Yeah, they look like a really good shoe for the price but they're pretty heavy. If they were a bit lighter I'd swoon. Oh how I'd swoon.

I don't notice them being heavy once they're on my feet. And I hike-a-bike a fair bit.

Oct. 8, 2013, 1:10 p.m.

Interesting to hear that Lake shoes now seem to last. I've had a couple of pairs in the past that wore out/fell apart in relatively short order compared to other brands.

I have had two pairs, each have lasted perhaps 3 or more seasons. Better durability than the Shimanos I used to wear. Current pair has some stitching loose and sole is finally coming apart, but doesn't affect functionality.

Have to keep the price in mind too when considering this factor.

Oct. 8, 2013, 2:03 p.m.

I don't notice them being heavy once they're on my feet. And I hike-a-bike a fair bit.

Yeah but I weigh about 78 so I need something light.

OK…78 kg. But still!

The Lake MX160's are quite a bit lighter. Don't have that kick-ass vibram sole but still have rubber and some tread.

Wrong. Always.

Oct. 8, 2013, 2:56 p.m.

Opinions on the MW81 winter shoes?

Do they keep the feet dry and warm? I kinda think the neoprene will just wick water into the shoe. Are they more designed for cold and sorta wet riding vs our sorta cold and really wet riding we get here in the winter.

I have had several pairs of "winter" shoes starting with those red Shimano DH shoes which were sold as winter shoes in England. Had the MW81, some Sidi ones and a couple pair of Specialized one of which succumbed to a puppy. The Shimano's are excellent but you can get seepage down the sock or through overlaps but as no air blows through they are still warmer than summer shoes. Once you try a good winter shoe you will never go back to plastic bags, leaktex socks or booties. The last pair of Specialized are sized way off though. I normally wear a 39 and I would wear a 41 in the defroster.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Oct. 8, 2013, 2:58 p.m.

I have had several pairs of "winter" shoes starting with those red Shimano DH shoes which were sold as winter shoes in England. Had the MW81, some Sidi ones and a couple pair of Specialized one of which succumbed to a puppy. The Shimano's are excellent but you can get seepage down the sock or through overlaps but as no air blows through they are still warmer than summer shoes. Once you try a good winter shoe you will never go back to plastic bags, leaktex socks or booties. The last pair of Specialized are sized way off though. I normally wear a 39 and I would wear a 41 in the defroster.

Those red Shimano DH boots were the best!

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

Oct. 8, 2013, 5:39 p.m.

I normaly have a specialized foot but I just picked up a pair of shimano SH-WM60 marked down to only 30$ at the LBS!

Its like a brand new in the box 3-4 yr old shoe, retail is 149 BUT … I guess they didn't fit anyone else

Oct. 9, 2013, 12:46 p.m.

I really don't get why folks seem so enamored with shoes with barely any tread. I mean we wouldn't use semi slick tires on the shore in winter (or ever) why would you want a shoe that is SPD capable with a semi slick tread? I understand for flats that semi slick shoes work better but if your clipped in?

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.