shoes?

May 1, 2006, 7:59 p.m.

I walked into mec with the intention of buying some five- tens, broadway didn't have my size so I drove to north van. I was bummed with the fit they were uncomfortable as hell, I would have had to double sock it for sure and they didn't look very breathable which is probably great for the coast but in Kelowna it's just not going to work out. So it looks like another pair of vans for me, but I really wanted the five tens. oh well.

Im used to hating the way shoes fit. Im very picky about my shoes (thats what happens after 10 years of soccer) so over the years i have acumulated all sorts of inserts and crummy foam linings that come stock in shoes. What i usualy do is take the old foam soles that come in the crappy shoes and trim them and shave them how i want until i can shove them under the new shoes' sloe and make them feel comfy. On my XC clipless shoes i sepnt an hour per side trimming away material in the sole to get it to fit nice.

thinkin bout bikes

Sept. 19, 2006, 7:04 p.m.

just picked up a pair of 5-10 lo cuts at mec $85., been wheelieing around the driveway.super pleased w my purchase.

Sept. 19, 2006, 8:05 p.m.

just picked up a pair of 5-10 lo cuts at mec $85., been wheelieing around the driveway.super pleased w my purchase.

I told you they were the shoe for you. Just beware on your first trail ride. It really feels like you are clipped in, and skinnies are a mind trip till you get used to the shoes.

Sept. 19, 2006, 8:34 p.m.

yea they have mindblowing grip, you wasnt lieing!

going to be a sweet wknd here.

Sept. 19, 2006, 8:47 p.m.

orchids. nothing else. the comfort and feel of a skate shoe but really long lasting and tough. there bmx shoes. im on my second pair, i had my last pair for a season of riding but i lost them.

www.thecoastalcrew.com

Sept. 19, 2006, 8:50 p.m.

They (5-10s) are great, just make sure your foot is on in a good position when you start going. The fit for them felt fricking weird when I got home with them, but then I ran out of time before a trip to exchange them or try different insoles, and bcause my old shoes were done I had to use them… and it was crazy, after the first little bit of riding I realized that I was loving the fit!

22 Pride

Sept. 19, 2006, 10:09 p.m.

I told you they were the shoe for you. Just beware on your first trail ride. It really feels like you are clipped in, and skinnies are a mind trip till you get used to the shoes.

I second that. They feel normal now, but that first ride at the Woodlot was pretty nutty.

I wish I had bought the low tops though. The Hi tops aren't high enough to offer any real ankle support. They might protect the ankle bone from abrasion though.

Sept. 20, 2006, 12:07 a.m.

I just wish the 5-10's came with velcro instead of laces.

Will trade Hope 4 piston 8 inch Manitou adapter for marz adaptor.

Sept. 20, 2006, 11:39 a.m.

I wish they'd keep the 5-10 soles the same but build a winter version with some waterproof materials. The Shimano DX's still get the nod for really wet trails - they may not have the insane grip but they don't absorb nearly as much water as the 5-10's

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

Sept. 20, 2006, 11:54 a.m.

We really need a sticky on this board of everything the aspiring rider needs to know, and it needs to start off with "GET A PAIR OF 5.10 SHOES!"
And then sticky it :)

Sept. 21, 2006, 9:11 p.m.

I finally tested my shoes. glory glory.sweet traction. this is the grip I was looking for.

July 15, 2007, 2:12 p.m.

Some new flavours of five-tens.

Alas, MEC staff weren't sure when/if the new Impact 2 was coming in.

vs the older original Imapct

Interesting look on these ones tho ;)

High "mid" tops too:

Rennie Signature

Impact mid

Imapct 2 mid

Homepage - http://www.fiveten.com/

July 16, 2007, 1:44 p.m.

Take a look at the Helly Hansen Jaeger shoes. I got a pair (black/black) about a month ago and I couldn't be happier. Very burly and extra sticky.

http://www.hellyhansen.com/S07/index.php?menu=5[HTML_REMOVED]id=173[HTML_REMOVED]contentID=p407[HTML_REMOVED]action=product

July 16, 2007, 8:05 p.m.

I have a pair of intense five-tens, and I don't really like them. They are really stiff and have a very dead pedal feel. They are so grippy, that if your foot bounces towards the edge of the pedal, you can't readjust. You have to take your foot off the pedal and put them back on. It feels really sketchy to be pinning it down a rubbly steep, have the pedal bounce to the heel, and not be able to fix it without taking a foot off. No bueno. They also make it alot harder to do good looking whips or tables, because, again, you can't shift your feet on the pedals.

Size-wise they seem short and very wide. I didn't find them comfortable at all. The heel cup rubbed my heel raw hiking uphill. They also look terrible, no way around it.

I am riding in etnies artos. They are nice. Soft sole, good pedal feel. I have also liked Vans Rowleys. I also prefer short pins in my pedals, and no pins in the middle. I almost never slip pedals.

July 16, 2007, 8:07 p.m.

Shimano Dx, The best shoes I have ever used for riding, I'v had then for about three years now. and they are still going strong even with my syncro pedals. I dont know about casual though unless your into the battle star gallactica thing. Mine are flats (i.e. no clipless and better traction for pins to grip)

good luck finding those haha they're sold out at most places.
but they are great shoes