Shoe and pedal combo...what's working for ye?

Aug. 31, 2016, 9:52 a.m.

What's the best five ten for winter riding? I've got Impacts (which soak up so much water they triple their weight) and Freerider VX which while awesome, the bald patch might be a bad idea on soggy wood/rock and the venting would equal much moisture on the tootsies.
:idea:

Wrong. Always.

Aug. 31, 2016, 8:51 p.m.

What's the best five ten for winter riding? I've got Impacts (which soak up so much water they triple their weight) and Freerider VX which while awesome, the bald patch might be a bad idea on soggy wood/rock and the venting would equal much moisture on the tootsies.
:idea:

owning both the same 5/10,s as you the AM7 does not soak up the water , and the lace cover keeps water and mud out as well , if you are deadset on 5/10s there is a hitop some on here use .

http://www.fiveten.com/us/outdoor/approach/guide-tennie-gtx-mid-black-red

#northsidetrailbuilders

Sept. 1, 2016, 7:14 p.m.

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/13892119/

new Shimanos look decent for the wetter weather

#northsidetrailbuilders

Sept. 1, 2016, 7:46 p.m.

Ohhh. Michelin rubber:orly:

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Aug. 16, 2019, 8:16 p.m.

Dredge.

I've been a long time clipper, who's spent the last six months or so on flats (5.10 freerider / saint) and put the clips (Shimano AM9 / DMR v-twin) back on for my last ride... 

I felt some super obvious up and downsides to the clips, and wonder if anyone has an idea of what shoe or pedal I could try to find the best compromise. 

The freeriders are amazing for pedal feel, but too soft - any stiffer 5.10 should sort out the flat downside. But the AM9 is really dead feeling - like my feet are numb as soon as I put them on the pedal. 

I fitted the full height 'traction plates' and the corner pins that reach the sole to the v-twins, with the release tension set full loose. Looking for the rubber - to - pin grip feel of flats, with the certainty of placement of clips. No dice, the connection still feels mechanical and vague. I can move the bike around and corner better in clips, but I'd really like to have that analogue feel of the flats... 

Maybe a shoe with a softer shank? Or a deeper cleat pocket? Does anyone have a goldilocks combo with the feel I'm seeking?

Aug. 20, 2019, 9:33 a.m.

i really like the combo of am7 / am9 on saint clipless. slightly softer sole with the added support of the larger platform is comfy & great for tech riding. the extended cleat channel in the shoe (in conjunction w/ the pedal shape) makes for a solid grippy interface if you get clipped out as well.

Aug. 20, 2019, 9:52 a.m.

Specialized Cliplite 2FO shoes and Look Enrage+ pedals. The shoes are a perfect combo of light, stiff and walkable, look nice and those BOA closures are amazing. The Looks are basically Shimano pedals with 30% more spring retention available.

Aug. 20, 2019, 10:17 a.m.

I got the Dagga's after I cracked my HT pedals.  The grip is insane on 5.10's.

5.10's needed replacing so took a flyer on the new Ride Concept shoes.  I lose a pedal every now and then.  Nice looking shook and nice build, but I should be slipping pedals on Dagga's.

Aug. 20, 2019, 1:35 p.m.

Posted by: craw

The Looks are basically Shimano pedals with 30% more spring retention available.

😮

5.10 Impact Clips w/XTR Trails (need to get my Saints soon)

Giro Riddance Mid Top w/Chromag Bear Grabber Bobbers

Giro disco boots for XC and road with XTR and Ultegra pedals.

Aug. 20, 2019, 2:37 p.m.

Posted by: velocipedestrian

Dredge.

I've been a long time clipper, who's spent the last six months or so on flats (5.10 freerider / saint) and put the clips (Shimano AM9 / DMR v-twin) back on for my last ride... 

I felt some super obvious up and downsides to the clips, and wonder if anyone has an idea of what shoe or pedal I could try to find the best compromise. 

The freeriders are amazing for pedal feel, but too soft - any stiffer 5.10 should sort out the flat downside. But the AM9 is really dead feeling - like my feet are numb as soon as I put them on the pedal. 

I fitted the full height 'traction plates' and the corner pins that reach the sole to the v-twins, with the release tension set full loose. Looking for the rubber - to - pin grip feel of flats, with the certainty of placement of clips. No dice, the connection still feels mechanical and vague. I can move the bike around and corner better in clips, but I'd really like to have that analogue feel of the flats... 

Maybe a shoe with a softer shank? Or a deeper cleat pocket? Does anyone have a goldilocks combo with the feel I'm seeking?

Freeride Pro is a significant bump in stiffness.. I find the Freeride too painful to wear for long days and especially for DH/bike park. Freeride Pro is an awesome balance that can do anything from 8 hour all day rides to park laps.

Aug. 20, 2019, 3:38 p.m.

Posted by: xy9ine

i really like the combo of am7 / am9 on saint clipless. slightly softer sole with the added support of the larger platform is comfy & great for tech riding. the extended cleat channel in the shoe (in conjunction w/ the pedal shape) makes for a solid grippy interface if you get clipped out as well.

Yeah, that's what I thought it was going to be, but the sole is still too stiff to really make the most of the big platform. They are great with m530 / xt / etc but I want to actually use the pins in the pedal. 

Anyone found a clipless shoe that's too soft in general? Could be ideal for the v-twin and similar offerings.