Shocks for a RM Switch

Aug. 13, 2003, 9:52 p.m.

I am concidering a new shock for my Rocky Mountain Switch next season and i am wondering what would be the best shock i could put on the bike that would be better than a fox vannila r
Thanks -Ant

Aug. 13, 2003, 9:55 p.m.

hmm, the switch uses a 1.5" stroke 6.5" eye to eye, right? progressive makes on that fits, i dunno about romic or avalanche. how do you want the bike to ride? are you looking for the stable platform feel or the good ol fox feel?

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed.
This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children."

Dwight D. Eisenhower "The Chance for Peace" 1953

Aug. 13, 2003, 10:05 p.m.

well i like the idea of a bike that wont bob like crazy when im trying to pedal but i want somthing so suck up fair size drops and all the rocks and roots in between. My fox vannila r just kinda bobs around it does suck up drops and most bumps but its not what im looking for if you know what i mean
:???:

Aug. 13, 2003, 10:07 p.m.

i dont know if Romic makes one for sure, but i have seen some Tiny Romic shocks around…

my guess is u can get one to fit…

be a custom order, but then again all Romics are custom ordered really…:D

Aug. 13, 2003, 10:31 p.m.

yeah, romic makes 'em n that size too

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed.
This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children."

Dwight D. Eisenhower "The Chance for Peace" 1953

Aug. 13, 2003, 10:49 p.m.

No avy to fit. Maybe its new frame time.

Aug. 14, 2003, 1:55 a.m.

Fox Vanilla RL. Lock it out, and no pedaling induced bob. :D

But seriously, get a heavier spring. I found going up a notch in spring rate made a big difference with pedal bob, and with taking hits. However, if you weigh quite a bit, then you'll run into the problem of having to run a very heavy spring, and you'll loose plushness.

I saw an Wade Simmon's RM Switch, and he had a 950lb spring on it. My guess is that he weighs around 180lbs.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Aug. 15, 2003, 10:43 a.m.

Switch, a heavier spring will take the bob out, but it will also make the shock buck back harder. The RL is a good choice, you can lock it out, but you don't neccesarily want that either, try the 5th, it has a good platform and a progressive feel.

Aug. 15, 2003, 5:33 p.m.

See if manitou has a swinget for it. Or a Romic next.

IOLITE IRELAND

Aug. 16, 2003, 1:18 a.m.

Originally posted by Tonestar
Switch, a heavier spring will take the bob out, but it will also make the shock buck back harder. The RL is a good choice, you can lock it out, but you don't neccesarily want that either, try the 5th, it has a good platform and a progressive feel.

I went from 750 to 900, and it was still a great ride. but when i went from 900 to 1050, the ride degraded very much, and yes, it did buck terribly. You could run with a lot of rebound, but I believe that on a Fox that will just lead to a faster failure of the rebound mechanism. I was running a little, and my rebound blew in only a few rides.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Aug. 16, 2003, 2:10 p.m.

romic or a swinger, they are coming out with a affordable 3 way djustable one next year that will most likly fit your bike, and it doesnt have a piggy back in case that is a issue on your frame.

Aug. 20, 2003, 9:28 p.m.

I allready have a 800pound spring and i weigh like 130 :|