Shock Doctor Helmet Eject System - Local shop?

July 6, 2014, 1:49 p.m.

Hi all,

I just purchased a Bell Full-9 and am interested in installing the Eject system into it before my next foray into the WBP. Does anyone know if there is a local shop around Vancouver who carries it? I bought it from Whistler Village Sports and they did not.

Cheers!

"Constant rage: could people f*cking up all the time be to blame?" - The Onion

July 9, 2014, 10:48 a.m.

I had no idea this system existed. Interesting and…um…scary…that this is needed.

July 9, 2014, 11:22 a.m.

I think that it is a relatively new technology that has trickled down from motosports. After a big crash over 3 weeks ago in the WBP that resulted in a concussion and an ambulance ride to the Whistler Clinic, I want my next helmet to have all the safety features that it can. I've been told by shop staff that removable cheek pads are also a big plus.

I think that online from the US is the way I'll have to go.

July 9, 2014, 11:37 a.m.

I think that it is a relatively new technology that has trickled down from motosports. After a big crash over 3 weeks ago in the WBP that resulted in a concussion and an ambulance ride to the Whistler Clinic, I want my next helmet to have all the safety features that it can. I've been told by shop staff that removable cheek pads are also a big plus.

I think that online from the US is the way I'll have to go.

Was in a similar situation recently, cracked helmet, concussion, luckily not hospitalized but it was pretty serious, and had to spend a couple of months off the MTB, road bike has been OK.

Did some research and the marketing points to MIPS helmets (tech that protects against rotational impact in addition to the regular direct impact) being best with the POC DH w/MIPS as #1, then all other mips helmets and finally the Troy lee D3, Spec. Dissident (both have chin safety ratings) as well as the Bell 9 tied for third. Although, since it's moto tech, maybe MX shops would carry it.

Marketing is really what's available because I couldn't find any German bike mag independent testing :D

Also, lots of guys like the Kali lids and they have some good tech to back up their safety ratings.

I bought the dissident because it fit best. Main line is that a well rated helmet with a very good fit will be best. The worst thing is to have movement inside the helmet while you are crashing. Dissident also has the Eject tech built in, but the shop didn't carry it and I don't know where to buy it either. Also interested in where this thread leads.

"I know that heroes ride bicycles" - Joe Biden

July 9, 2014, 12:30 p.m.

Did some research and the marketing points to MIPS helmets (tech that protects against rotational impact in addition to the regular direct impact) being best with the POC DH w/MIPS as #1, then all other mips helmets and finally the Troy lee D3, Spec. Dissident (both have chin safety ratings) as well as the Bell 9 tied for third. Although, since it's moto tech, maybe MX shops would carry it.

I was also interested in MIPS tech, and purchased a Scott Stego for all-mountain use. I have been out on some mellow trails in the past couple of days as my head symptoms have gone away. I have a healing shoulder though that I don't trust on the quicker and more techy trails just yet.

As for your comment on the POC DH lid with MIPS the guys at Whistler Village Sports mentioned that POC does not agree with the concept of neck braces. They were not confident that the brace would serve its intended purpose if your head was rotating slightly inside the POC helmet. Since I wear an Atlas brace, which I think worked as my left shoulder was very bruised, I decided to go with the Bell. Seems like my head fits Bell better that the TLD lids.