Shipping a bike cross country?

May 27, 2006, 9:36 a.m.

Does anyone have any experience with shipping an entire bike across a great distance? Is it worth the hassle? Where did you find a box? Did you put it all in the same box?

And about wow much would you estimate for shipping a bike from BC to Ontario?

thanks in advance…

May 27, 2006, 9:46 a.m.

Go to your LBS and ask for a box. They should have one. Ship purolator/loomis etc. instead of postal and insure your bike. Takes only a couple of days.

You should only have to remove your front wheel and handlebars. Buy lots of bubble wrap and wrap everything exposed on your bike (or sticking out that can get damaged).

May 27, 2006, 9:53 a.m.

bubble wrap and cardboard.

i build bikes fresh out of the box at work, and i've also boxed bikes back up for customers who want to ship them.

use more bubble wrap then you think you need. you wont regret it.

usually the front wheel, handlebar, and pedals come off. turn the fork around so the arch is facing the downtube, box the pedals, and strap the front wheel onto the side of the toptube/downtube.

again, use as much bubble wrap and cardboard as you can. go to london drugs and ask them for packing peanuts. they usually have extra bags full in the back that they just throw away.

and yes, go to your LBS and ask for an empty bike box. if your bike is a large or what not, make sure you get a big enough box.

send them a pic of you riding their DH RACE bike off the roof of Rochester School…and ask if the crack is really a manufacturing defect.

EVIL DOC FOR SALE!!
http://buysell.nsmb.com/showproduct.php?product=2155
PM ME!

May 27, 2006, 2:05 p.m.

thanks for the info.

Does $100 sound about right to ship a bike from BC to ON?

May 27, 2006, 2:11 p.m.

call greyhound, ask them about their courier service. prolly pretty cheap, might take a week but who cares…

Chirp