Shimano MW5 waterproof boots

Nov. 10, 2020, 6:13 p.m.

Love my MW7s and these look very good too. I put mine on early on in the fall and wear them relatively late into the spring. Comfy feet are nice and I while I certainly sweat in them, I have never said "my feet are too warm".

Make sure you have a boot dryer! If you go out in full on rain, eventually your feet will still get wet from water running down socks (I'm hoping pants might resolve this?). In that case, your shoes will take days to dry without some airflow through them. I tend to put mine on the dryer regardless.

Nov. 11, 2020, 12:27 a.m.

https://nsmb.com/articles/shimano-mw5-winter-shoes-reviewed/

Nov. 11, 2020, 7:14 a.m.

I've been using MW5s for three seasons. They've been awesome. I usually start using them in October and wear them right through to May. Start off with thin socks and get progressively thicker then end in thin socks again. They have nice long slots so you can get the cleats positioned quite far back. The only thing that's gone wrong with them is that I've torn the back seam on the neoprene cuff (not to self: don't use the neoprene cuff to pull them one!), which I had tidily repaired by the local shoe guy. 

I've probably got one more winter in mine then I'll switch to a pair of MW7, which is slightly warmer and more aggressive and has a BOA closure.

In case you don't know, when you get a soaker: remove the insole and stuff the shoe with newspaper. Replace the newspaper every couple of hours, do a final swap before bed, leave the boots near a heating vent. Wake to up to dry shoes.

Nov. 11, 2020, 11:43 a.m.

Pretty sure Lynn Valley has both MW5 and MW7 in stock. I went up a half size to make sure I had room for thicker socks.

Nov. 14, 2020, 6:04 p.m.

I don't like the riding feel as much as my summer shoes, but for night rides this time of year or early am bike commutes they are pretty incredible. Feels like your feet are getting warm hugs as you splash through the icy puddles. The gator at the top interfaces with riding pants to keep you totally covered. As mentioned above: they will resist getting soaked longer than most shoes, but when they do inevitably get wet, they will take forever to dry without a boot dryer.

Nov. 14, 2020, 7:37 p.m.

Can't speak to the shimano boots but I've been running the northwave raptor gtx for a year. Great shoes and can be found for cheap sometimes on crc.

Nov. 14, 2020, 8:06 p.m.

I was about to pull the trigger on the MW5 or 7 shoes, but I'm a bit hesitant to spend money on a winter SPD shoe that doesn't have toe spike mounts. The primary reason to buy the shoes is because I need them when I ride my gravel bike in the winter when the temp is hovering around zero and there's a torrential downpour outside (save the MTB trails) and for cyclocross racing (should it resume in the next few years). I don't need toe spikes for gravel, but they do seem to make a big difference when you're sprinting up a steep muddy bank with your bike over your shoulder.

Nov. 15, 2020, 9:50 p.m.

Posted by: JBV

i can't imagine any self respecting cyclocrosser would wear shoes like these!  don't you guys all ride in the brutal cold with onesies and Sidi Dragons?

I run 30mm of headset spacers a 50mm DMR stem, riser drop bars and mtb cranks on my cross bike. What's a pair of waterproof shoes...

Nov. 17, 2020, 9:58 a.m.

fwiw, the mw-5's @ mec are currently 25% off; just pulled the trigger on a pair. not having cold / wet feet in soggy season seems novel. stoked to see how they work.