Shimano Disc Brake Olives

Dec. 3, 2012, 3:55 p.m.

Hey…

A shop gave me a couple of shimano disc brake olives yesterday. They look just about right, however, they have a split in them. They seemed to think they would work but weren't 100%. I phoned another shop and they didn't have any…I asked about the split ones and they seemed to think they might work as well.

Anybody know for sure if these will work or not?

Dec. 3, 2012, 4:23 p.m.

Those sound like jagwire universal compression olives, but possibly shimano makes something similar. As long as they are the same diameter as the hose, they will work fine.

Dec. 3, 2012, 6:01 p.m.

Interesting. Any idea why the split is there? Multiple hose diameters? It seems a bit counterintuitive.

Jagwire seems to have no info on their small parts it seems.

Dec. 3, 2012, 9:50 p.m.

Maybe it allows the olive to stretch over the barb or compress. Shot in the dark?

Dec. 3, 2012, 10:14 p.m.

You should just get real Shimano olives, sure they might work but why would you use some universal olive when there are specific shimano ones.

Dec. 5, 2012, 3:34 p.m.

Agreed. Just seems like most of the shops on the West Side don't really have them right now. I think Dunbar has some, but I wanted to get to the bottom of it regardless.

Dec. 5, 2012, 11:41 p.m.

Interesting. Any idea why the split is there? Multiple hose diameters? It seems a bit counterintuitive.

Jagwire seems to have no info on their small parts it seems.

The ones I have are from an older jagwire fitting kit, it looks like they don't make them anymore. I know hope uses the split style compression olive as well.

To my understanding the split olive is to allow for easy installation. When you do the fitting up, the taper on the olive will cause it to compress, shrinking the spit until it is sealed. That is why its important to have the correct size for the hose.